Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Headlight bar cup angle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralph, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Ralph

Ralph

My car is a full fendered 1930 Model A, with a 28-29 chromed headlight bar. The car is at about a 3 degree rake. The headlight cups on the bar sit at about a 25 degree forward rake. Enough that I can't get the headlights to point up high enough to be aimed properly. The question is, would a 30-31 bar be any
    different?
    [​IMG]

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

was it accidently put it on backwards

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Hard to see in the pic, but can you switch bar end to end so cups are on rear edge of bar?

4. Like Larry said,try reversing the bar,if that don't give you the right angle uou may have to drill out the attaching rivets on the headlight bucket and file the slot deep

5. Ralph

Ralph

Thanks for the replies! Larry, I'm told the cups should tilt forward, though it does get better if they tilt back. Are the cups on a 30-31 bar any more "level"? I may resort to filing the bucket, but I was trying to avoid that.

6. There is a difference in the headlight bars and I suspect the fender braces are different also,that might contribute to the angle differences. HRP

7. The bar angle is about right. Most headlight buckets should tilt back far enough to point horizontal. I would look to see what can be done to make the headlight mounting bolt slide more to the back.

8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I had the same problem with my '34 pickup. I added shims to the cup in order to raise the lights slightly. It is working just fine.

9. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

I also added shims, made them from plastic pipe cut in half and tapered works fine.

10. Ralph

Ralph

Hadn't thought of shimming them. I think I'll try cutting the slot to get a bit more angle, first. This has got to be a common problem, but I guess it depends on the headlight design as much as the bar. I would have thought the bar cups would be MUCH more horizontal.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bar looks fine to me, why you have a 28-29 on a 30-31 is unknown to us.The lights are goofy, what are the spacers for? A close up photo would help. Bob

12. Ralph
    The cups at the bottom of the headlight should have about 1/2 inch of travel so the headlights can be adjusted. Look at the bottom of the headlight. Where the stud comes out there should be something like a slot for the stud to move in.

13. Ralph

Ralph

Here's a close up. 37Kid, the bar came with the car. No idea why the spacers are there, don't think I'll keep them. Fuzzy, there's a slot, it just doesn't give enough adjustment. Tomorrow I'll cut the slots longer, lose the spacers, and see what that gets me. I'll report back. Thanks everybody for the help.
    [​IMG]

14. Canuck

Canuck

Ralph
    30-31 bar cups are very similar to the 28-29 but a 30-31 bar would lower the headlights a inch or so and give a bit more clearance between the bar and the rad. A dropped 30-31 would drop them 2-3 inches. Would look good on your car IMOP. A problem may be that the mounting bolts on a 28-29 bar are closer together than a 30-31 to fit the different style fender braces. Don't know how they fitted a 28-29 bar to your fender braces unless they drilled a extra hole in the braces or lengthened the bar. Can give you measurements off a 28-29 bar if it is any help, one I have is a 30-31 modified to fit my 28 fenders and then dropped to lower the headlights.

Removing the spacer cup base under the headlight would not hurt. Not needed with the cup built into the bar.

Give a call if I can help.

Canuck

15. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remove the spacer and bolt the headlight on.
    I believe the spacer is the culprit.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

X2, the spacer is not needed there. Faulty installation. The spacer is provided to mount the headlights on a different non cupped flat surface.
    The rounded "ball" shape on the bottom of the headlight is intended to fit into the cupped mount and should give enough adjustment.
    If not then you need to find a way to get the mount cups sitting level.

17. on every original Model A headlight bar i ever dropped i angled the cups back to allow for the rake a hot rod usually has... 3-4 degrees. i believe the dropped aftermarket ones have it built in too. FYI , a stock Model A sits level

that may be an original A headlight bar that has been chromed.

18. X6 The spacer is the problem. It looks like what would be need to use King B head lights.

19. Ralph

Ralph

Well, it's all back together and working. With the bar the right way round (cups tipping forward), I had to lengthen the slots in the headlight Ball. Used a 4" grinder with a nice thin disc, took the slots back about 3/8". The spacers didn't make much difference, but I took them off anyway. You're right, I didn't need them, and hey, losing them dropped the headlights an inch. Win win!
    Canuck, from what I've read 28-29 and 30-31 bars both have bolts on 2" centres, and mine bolts right up. I read it on the internet, so it must be true, right? I've never had one of each to check.
    Thanks for the help everybody!