Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Coupe - whats it worth? Please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Raty 64, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Raty 64

Raty 64

I am going to check out a 1940 coupe with a clean title in the morning. The Gentlemans father passed away and left supposedly 30 cars behind. The car is complete and as I said clear title I have no pics now but what do you guys think its worth, Not running but all there? Thanks in advance. -Jeremy

2. Magic words: Forty/coupe. Complete..original not rusty or tore up but not running. With the cost of new bodies factoring now, I'd think it being complete, if its real nice, over 10g? Bet-ing on being able to get it running and driving. Add or subtract after you see it. Look on line. Tim

3. I can see it now in my crystal ball.......8K..... but plan on a full restoration...another 10K

4. seldom scene

seldom scene

Look for rust. Look in trunk and tool compartment, look in lower panel between door posts and rear fenders. As rust goes up, price comes down. Where is car? Where has it "rested" inside and dry price goes up, outside in rain, snow, price goes down. How much work can you do? How much will you pay others? What do you want when all work is done? a restored car that was designed when the national speed limit was 50 mph add on 10-15K. A hot rod with more power, brakes , suspension, a pretty painted body upholstery etc, etc add lots and lots of K. Good Luck

5. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

what did the seller tell you he wanted for it?

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Not running doesn't mean anything if it has been sitting for years. The condition of the body and running gear dictate the asking price. A nice coupe in the LA area, not running but all there, could bring $18-20K easy. On the other hand, a not so nice, all there 40 coupe could sell for $6-8K. Make sure it is solid not rusty. I purchased a rust free, all there and apart, for $7500 a couple of years ago. Take some photos of your find.

7. A Rodder

A Rodder

I don't think anyone can give an answer without a better description and or lots of pics.

Those cars are pretty sought after and even a pile of complete shit is worth 5-6k and a nice, solid, rust free project w good parts and a few extras can push 20k here.

8. Raty 64

Raty 64

Thanks fellas. Heading out soon I'll let you know and take pics.

10. Raty 64

Raty 64

No go on the 40.It was burried in an old garage. Which would have been awesome if the roof hadn't caved in. He wanted $4k and when we got there said he was now taking bids. Engine was locked up and lots of rust. But the only way to get it out would be to tear down the garage and with all the stuff it would have taken a week. Oh well here are the only pics I could get.Thanks again for your knowledge.

11. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

VERY SAD STORY I WAS HOPING THAT YOU FOUND A JEWEL NOT A POS

12. Raty 64

Raty 64

Here they are

Attached Files:

13. I would have torn down the garage for free to buy that at $4 grand.

14. X2 there Bubba

15. I have to admit the car looks better in the pics than I thought it would after reading the description of it.

16. Raty 64

Raty 64

The car is in Springfield IL if someone wants the guys number message me. The roof fell in above the hood and it is rusted off the hinges and I couldn't get to the drivers side of the car. Floors are rusted out also. He thought it had been in the garage for 18 years. Too much work for me. Not sure when he is tearing down the garage. Would love to see it saved.

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks decent-wouldn't give up on that one so quick--go help the guy get it out-well worth $4K. I have purchased probably 8 or 9 40 coupes in the past few years from $6K needing floors to $16K for a very nice roller with no eng or trans and was glad to get each one. Keep tabs on that one.

lothiandon1940 and bowie like this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

gee that car looks like junk. he should just bulldoze the whole building with the car in it. o_O

19. mj40's

mj40's

I have seen a lot worse go for more than that. We save cars today that we would have never touched 10 years ago!

timwhit likes this.
  20. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

So what about the other 29 cars? Did you get to see anything else?

21. Raty 64

Raty 64

Alright finally home from the 5 hour round trip. The guy told my buddy he had 30 cars well HAD was the key word. They started cleaning this property 3 years ago. No there is a 51 merc a building fell on the roof and hood. Engine not locked up rockers floor and trunk floor gone wanted $1000 so that is how this all started then he told him about the 40 and he also has a 64 impala convertible a 66 impala ss a buick wild cat corvair pickup and a 64 Eldorado. Thats what is left. My buddy wanted the merc so he said he'd have cash and get it today. So he (the seller)wanted to meet in a parking lot this morning and have us follow him to the property. We called when we were in the lot and he said "who is this?" Like he didn't talk to my buddy 4 times yesterday. "We are taking bids on the cars because we've had so many calls". We were like wtf? He meets us and says " I dont know why you guys brought trailers we just taking bids this week." Well can we at least look at them? So we followed him to the property he stayed in his truck and told us the cars were out back, the coupe and impala conv are in the garage but the door is off the track so it only opened 18". He didn't mention the siding was falling off and roof was caving in. No big deal we weren't expecting perfection but those are details that would have been nice to know. We checked out what he had there and asked where the others were. He said" they were in much worse shape so we crushed them over the past 3 years. Even if we wanted to buy one today there was no way to get a truck or trailer to anything. He said that he has an excavator coming soon to clear the road of junk out. I know the cars are valuable and it was cool to check em out but the owner is "different" and the cars are way above my skill level.

22. I'd like to have that '40 at 4g's. Damn...."inmates running the asylum" always suck.

Without the assorted bs that it sounds like you had to put up with.....sometimes it IS all about the timing. Some other yahoo will show....right about the time the trash is cleared, and get them all. That's the way it rolls. Of course, then WE will chime in with all of the "why not me?s".....and we know why.

Our bullshit meters told us not to. That's why !

23. Raty.....here what your saying about the owner.....been there as well....

24. indyjps

indyjps

Well you're not buying a new car, the reason it's still around is that some guy built a bunch of buildings and filled them with cars, scrapper, hoarder types tend to be quirky, may have passed that on to the relatives. $4k seems decent, get the contents of the garage for $4k. Message me the contact info if you're passing, I grew up 40 min from Springfield and may have a look.

25. Slopok

Slopok

Repo deck lids are $1100. Let us know how the bidding goes if you can, curious.

26. Damn, that cars in great shape.
    The owner may be quirky, or maybe burned out after 3 years of trying to sell his cars to people who tried to get em for next to nothing.
    Messing with old cars has taught me to see past rust and crap, and to be nice to quirky car guys. Lol.

27. 51 Merc was probably a deal at $1000. We sold one for $750 a few years ago that was so crappy they just cut the body apart and took the roof, doors, quarters and deck lid and left the rest. And it had the B-post all cut out of it and gone.