Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Hot Rods to Hell" Corvette build finale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Utahvette

Utahvette

I know,I know, its probably not how you'd build a Corvette but I needed something different and nobody else has done it that I know of. So after gathering parts for the last few years I finally had enough to start a new project. I had come up with the pieces to assemble a 1958-60 Corvette. I just needed a style to build towards. I love the straight axle or "Gasser " style but have already done a 57 Vette, 59 Vette, 55 T-Bird , 55 Chev and 56 Chev so I was kinda through with that phase. After watching "Hot Rods to Hell" one night it occurred to me that I had the majority of the parts to build the anti-hero's Corvette from the movie. I remember seeing the show in the mid 70s and thinking "what a screwed up Corvette" but my feelings have softened towards the car now and I can appreciate the look of that era a little better . Back then I was all about "Restored", but at that time every Corvette you saw was modified in some way, Mags, Scoops, Flares, something . So having a stock Corvette back then was highly unusual. Now its kind of reversed. They're all restored and very few are modified. Having had many stock early Vettes I can say with experience that a 283 with a non synchro 3 speed and 4 inch wide tires does NOT spell excitement for me.They have their place ,just not in my garage. Anyway ,over the next few weeks I'm going to post pictures of my tribute build. The car is finished now but I took lots of shots of the construction and would like to share them with you guys. I've seen some of the stuff you guys have brought back and thought you might be interested in seeing how to get itchy instead of getting welding scars. 15.jpg

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

3. 327Eric

327Eric

4. ^^ me too ! lets see it!

5. When are we gettin started? Oh, BTW, we need pics of the pile. Tim

6. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I have always liked that Vette

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

7. Add me to the line up,that car has always been tops as far as Corvettes are concerned. HRP

8. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

subscribed....looking forward to seeing this

9. I watched that movie the other night(actually about 3 in the morning)and while I can't say it was the worst movie I've ever seen it's right up there in the top 5. Some serious car abuse going on there as well.
    That said it sounds like a good idea to re-create the Corvette;good luck with your project.

10. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

I'm excited now! I'll be waiting.

11. This is a VERY good idea!
    Vette purists get their panties in a wad over little stuff, this one's gonna be a heart stopper..

12. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I'm diggin' it! Looking forward to updates.

13. Utahvette

Utahvette

573.JPG 574.JPG This is the starting point of this build. As you can see , She's a sweet heart. Interesting though, I will still get people at cars shows tell me I ruined a perfectly good corvette. Actually ,I think I enjoy that the best! So far its never even been a Corvette owner , just what I call "armchair Corvette purest". Don't have, never will have a Corvette, but want to tell you how your car should look. Anyway , This piece isn't even as nice as it first appears. It's really 5 cars in one. It's spliced through the center of the doors so the rear is from a 60 and the forward floor section is a 58. The upper firewall and dash is 56-7. Doors from a different car. And trunk from another car. This is about what you get for $5,000 anymore. Sad but true. I remember getting stuff like this for $100 back in the 70s.

AHotRod and lawman like this.
  14. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Utahvette
    I'm shocked you could turn such a nice Vette into a cut up race car
    I love hearing that also. Or they say, why did you do THAT. Reply, because I could.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

lawman likes this.
  15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Cool ! will be watching this one.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Just roachy enough to be really cool!
    Are you going to put a Jag motor in it for the proper sound effect?
    KK

17. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Take her to hell man!....should be a cool build

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Can you re-create the girl? I had a serious crush on her back when....Doesn't have to be steel, fiberglass would be fine..........

Nice project. I'll be watching!

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. elgringo71

elgringo71

This should be interesting

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Don't 're-create' the girl...Just hang any ol' ditzy blonde off that 1.5" closet pole that can hang on!

A bud had a '59 'Vette in San Jose he bought for $200 in 1967, engine all apart. I put it together for him, had an original 2X4 intake, Duntov .008/.014 cam, and early Hedman shortie headers.
    Dumb ass sold it right after I did it up for him, got a big $650.00! Some people... LOL

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a Y-Block guy in San Jose that gave his '56 T-Bird to his younger brother...(1965)
    Li'l Bro installed a brand new 396 crate engine from Courtesy Chevrolet.
    Big bro Ron's still mad at him for 'desecrating holy Y-Block ground'....

There is a strong contingent of original 'Vette and 'Bird roadster lovers. (just an observation)

22. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Mike

It would take that 650 now just for the Hedman's & mufflers

23. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Killer idea! Danny "C" from Deadman's Curve CC had the same notion. Great minds think alike! Keep up with the pics.

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There are a couple of late 50's Vettes in a self service type of storage complex just a couple miles from me. They've been sitting there since we bought our home in 87! One even has a similar roll bar to the movie Vette. I've never inquired about those cars, and the operators of the complex have probably gotten tired of people asking, "what's up with those Vettes?" They just sit there, out in the weather, without any kind of cover. The acting is so bad in that movie, but the cars make up for it. Personally, I like the 56 Bel Air hardtop. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. Utahvette

Utahvette

CIMG8043.JPG I had this rolling chassis that came out from under a 59 Corvette I bought a few years ago. It was to rusty to use on a "Good" car so I built a whole new frame for that car and set this one aside for later. A least this frame was straight , but it had holes in it you could actually stick your hand into. The rear third needed a basic reconstruction. I welded repair plates from where the forward shackles locate, rearward to the rear cross member. This thing was speckled with some rust craters in it so deep they had pin holes it the bottom of them. Notice the "Hillbilly Rotisserie" :). I utilize this method often for detailing chassis and underbodys on Corvettes. With their low center of gravity they will balance sideways on their wheels and not (easily) tip over. Of course with a whole car I do take some measures to prevent it from going over just in case.(that would be a bad thing) Besides , it makes for good conversation when people drive up and see a Corvette on its side in your driveway.:eek: CIMG9598.JPG

craig b blue and AHotRod like this.
  26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My parents bought my Brother a 56 Vette in 1967, one owner, running, silver with red coves and 2 tops, here in socal, for $500.00

27. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

IT IS YOUR PROJECT TO BUILD THE WAY YOU WANT I SAY F--- ALL THE PURISTS

28. Utahvette

Utahvette

102.JPG 103.JPG Sitting on the chassis it is easier to move around . In this rear shot you can see the poorly made rear panel. The Bondo was cracked and flaking off but it was the right couture so I ended up saving it , although it was probably more work than it was worth. I'm trying to do this on as much of a budget as I can , so
    I often spend more time fixing junk when it would have been smarter to just get a better part. But I kinda like the challenge also.

AHotRod, 62hotcat and lawman like this.
  29. Keep the pics coming! When I was a kid, my first model car kit bash was when I put a ford flathead with 3 deuces in a 1980 Corvette kit. I'll never forget the surprise and laugh when I opened the hood for my dad.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Utahvette

Utahvette

CIMG7893.JPG CIMG7894.JPG I dug through my scrap pile and found most of what was needed to convert the cowl and dash back to 58 style . The nose was a swap meet find. I was at a local swap meet and a friend came up to me and told me a vendor had just pulled in with a Corvette front end , so I made a dash for the area , located him and made a deal for $200 delivered to my house. Can't beat that! It was a hand laid piece that had been poorly installed on someone else's car and then removed for a nicer correct "press molded" one to be installed. It appeared to have been bonded to the other car with a few globs of bondo . I'm sure it was easy to remove. The best part was no damage. Plenty good for my project.

AHotRod likes this.