Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I alway tried to be tollerant of restorers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. I love it.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Lots of wisdom shown in several posts above....worthy of reflection.....

Ray

lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  3. 36 Vette

36 Vette

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Rodders--particularly in HAMB--who insist that a rod must be traditional and meet certain parameters they set, are as rigid and objectionable as the purist restorers. Those who build traditional rods absolutely faithful to the 40s and 50s are doing the same "paint by the numbers" kind of builds as the restorers are doing and almost nothing innovative comes from copying what others did 60 years ago. The irony is that the rodders of the late 40s and 50s were innovative.

4. Da34guy
    I would have paid money to see the looks on those guys faces!!!!!!!!!!!!!

da34guy likes this.
  5. It has been my observation that The Early Ford Club of America has started excepting modified cars,at least the club I am a member does. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. You sure you're in the right place?

X38, Hitchhiker and bowie like this.
  7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

snicker...I was gonna say something like that, but you beat me to it.

kidcampbell71, Hitchhiker and bowie like this.
  8. Not trying to be a wise guy...just curious.

kidcampbell71 and Hitchhiker like this.
  9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like both hot rods and restorations. After all , we are all in this car hobby-just have different views and likes/dislikes. I have both types and enjoy both as well. Only times that were aggravating was when we had a our restored 62 Vette-didn't care for the type of folks in that group-too stuffy and uptight for me. Had a fit if you really drove your Vette hard-thought they should be trailered to shows-not my style. Same goes for my 57 Fuely-they think it should be trailered--not for me-driving it is a kick in the ass!! As for 40's , I would buy a restored one in an instant then tear it apart and redo it to my tastes..

10. Mike

Mike

Mmmeps! Mmmeps!

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

Live and Let live. If someone only wants to allow only blue cars, what do I care? O.K. (well technically my car is blue I suppose) if my car isn't what the club is looking for I will find something else to do.

12. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

thanks for being tolerant!

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is an older guy (85) around the corner that has the best restored 55 Chevy convert I have ever seen-correct in every respect. He even flew to Oregon just to find a few correctly stamped bolts !! He always gives me and my neighbor a little static about our modified 55-57's but is a great guy and I help him with issues on his car. We love to tell him we will end up with his 55 and then change it to our tastes-really gets him going!!

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Before some of you get too uptight about the above quoted post, ask yourselves exactly where is the statement incorrect. It is quite accurate in most respects.

That said, it DOES NOT say, or even imply, in my opinion, that there is anything inherently wrong with carving out a niche for a group of like minded people. It only points to the hypocrisy of a member of one narrowly focused group criticizing another narrowly focused group for doing the same thing.

The reason so many people were motivated to post more tolerant points of view is because the original post was so so ironic.

Ray

15. technically those original '37 parts could be hot rod parts.....just depends on what year vehicle or "build".
    the enemy is the scrappers ....... teach them a lesson and save the parts.

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I like all camps, but I've found when buying parts, an old stock car guy will give them to you, other racers are reasonable, and restorers will try to squeeze every cent they can get...notwithstanding some of the top dollar boys on the Hamb. If I have to deal with a restorer I just assume they are weenies, but I am glad they are there preserving history. (Love that Ferrari)

17. Ray, I agree that the original post was every bit as inane. Just kind of curious why the constant controversy over and denegration of the stated purpose of this site...why on earth one subject him/herself to a community they judge as "rigid and objectionable"? The subject matter of the HAMB is neither a secret nor a mystery.

Not sure about y'all, but I don't go to a taco stand for sushi...we do traditional rods & customs here -without apology-and really don't care if someone thinks its narrow-minded; we call it "focus", and it kinda works for us.

18. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

^^^^ agree completely. It should work for other areas of the Hobby, too. Hey da34guy; what exh manifolds shown on the Ferrari?

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

They make '37 replacement drivetrains in China? Who knew!

My taste in cars is like my taste in food and music (all over the map), but I don't go around asking the Chinese restaurant to serve Italian food and a classical orchestra to play rock and roll. If a club (or a forum) has a focus, that's their prerogative and nobody has the right to criticize or demand inclusion.

That being said, restorers are a bit anal and obsessive, but I respect their dedication to perfecting things beyond perfection. I also respect ricers and tuners for squeezing 500hp from a base model Honda Civic. I wouldn't want to be either of those, but I still can respect them.

gwhite likes this.
  20. Note to @3wLarry; look up "denigrate" :D

3wLarry likes this.
  21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Denigrate: To criticize unfairly...what do I win?........wait...o_O :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    kidcampbell71 and gwhite like this.
  22. Halleluiah Gary!

The tolerance or in-tolerance has nothing at all to do with the Hamb,we a dye in the wool guys that do it our way and damn the torpedoes! HRP

gwhite likes this.
  23. This restorer vs. hot-rodder thing is not nearly as bad as it was 25-30 years ago. I guess we've all mellowed a bit and frankly, a lot of the die-hard restorers that seemed to hate hot-rodders are no longer with us.

gwhite likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always tried to be tolerant of misspellers. Seriously guys, every single browser has built in spell check.

As for cars, when in doubt, cut it. If it belonged in a museum, it would already be in a museum.

gwhite likes this.
  25. We ARE the restorers now. Just check any discussion of bias vs radial tires. Probably the difference is we restore or emulate old modified vehicles. They take them back to stock. We both get the same warm feeling when we can rehabilitate a car built in the late '80s/early '90s.

gwhite likes this.
  26. LAROKE

LAROKE

Reminds me of an incident a few years back, I'm coming up the coast road to Boca Raton in my '37 Chevy hot rod farm truck and I pass a line of restored Model A's going the other way (Local AACA). I got my arm out the window waving away and none of them wave back. I move onto the main east-west road in Boca and here comes a mid-thirties Rolls-Royce town car with the open chauffeur compartment. I'm a little slower getting my arm out and the Rolls-Royce guy beats me to it, waving to me first.

Zerk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. srs1

srs1

the old restorer guys never seemed to mind coming by my shop to pick up all my old model A parts.
    " I can't believe you're doing this to these beautiful old cars" then " where is that 28 engine and transmission you were telling me about"!

28. yes it is not as bad as it was back then and i think it is because back then you could drive an antique car, like a model A, bone stock and not be "in the way" of other vehicles. people knew what hand signals were and were more patient of a slower off the line car. this has forced a lot of restorers to add turn signals, convert to 12 volt for brighter lights and maybe add a few "tricks" to get them up to speed thus making them [restorers] more sympathetic to conversion.

29. Too much drama for me!:p I'm here for fun!:cool:

lothiandon1940 and gwhite like this.
  30. 5window

5window

I think he's in exactly the right place. If you're here, you're into traditional rods and customs. but
    I am hard pressed to see anything "new" or innovative here. Well done, to be certain. But if it's an "innovation", by definition it's not "traditional".

Note: See signature.

Bubba1955 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.