Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rearend spring placement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TBilbrey64, Nov 11, 2014.

1. TBilbrey64

TBilbrey64

Hey Guys,
    A friend of mine stopped over to help me take my rear end out of my '41 Chevy coupe. In fact over the weekend we took the entire drive train out. Very productive weekend. Anyway standing there looking things over while drinking a well deserved beer my friend ask me "what if instead of putting the springs under the rear end you put the springs on top?" This would raise the ass end of the car up a couple inches giving it more of a hot rod look. I never really thought about that, but I do like the idea. Have any of you ever done that, or seen it done? Feedback please.
    Thanks,
    Tim

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

IMO it would be very 4 x 4 ish.

Don

3. It will raise it more than a couple ( 2) inches.
    It will raise it the thickness of the combined sum of the axle tube, the spring pad, and the spring pack.

4. aaggie

aaggie

If you are putting the torque tube back in it won't work. The way the springs attach to the axle allows it to rotate a little. That's why the pin is off center in the spring perch. Beside looking like something kicked it in the Ass real hard.....

5. TBilbrey64

TBilbrey64

I'm not putting the torque tube back in. I have a '55 rear end to install. No big deal just wanted to see what you guys thought. I'm sticking with doing it the way it should be.
    Thanks,
    Tim

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think you should try it....just mock it up and see what happens.

It will be very educational for you and your buddy.

Ray

7. 31 Vicky has it right and how bad do you want the 70s look:eek: JW