Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tommy R Attempts to Build a Hot Rod Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tommy R, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Tommy R

Tommy R

Thanks, man! I appreciate that. Gary's doing a bang up job. Couldn't be happier!

2. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

I know what you mean about becoming stuck on a build out of fear of messing things up. Sometimes the unending choices and fear of making the wrong ones becomes a major burden during a build, from aesthetic choices to engineering choices. But if you fail to do something because of fear of failure you will never succeed.

Glad to see that your car is getting done. Best of luck and enjoy it!

3. Tommy R

Tommy R

Thanks, Weezy! Yeah, I think I got overwhelmed and that resulted in a loss of motivation. I've been working on lots of other big car fabrication projects, but just not the one I'm most passionate about.

This was one I just finished up recently. And technically, since it's a '48 model I guess it's HAMB friendly! LOL! I keep my Jeep much lower, but this is what the owner wanted.
    [​IMG]

grits likes this.
  4. Tommy R

Tommy R

More updated pics from Gary! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Moving right along. Plan B is working for you!

6. Tommy R

Tommy R

Yessiree!

7. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Wanted to pm a photo of mine so I do not hijack your thread, but can't figure out how to do it?

8. Tommy R

Tommy R

I don't mind if you want to post it here. Go for it...

9. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Guess they call it a conversation instead of pm? Stared one to you. Go take a look and see if it worked.

10. Tommy R

Tommy R

Need some input, y'all... On seats and grills/radiators.

Seats: I've read how people often use third row seats from minivans 'cause they're the right width for an A. A buddy has a third row seat from an '01 Dodge Caravan. Anyone know if this is a good choice? Obviously, I'll end up recovering it, but I'm hoping it'll be a good seat to start with.

Grills: I'm beginning to research grill shells and radiators. I'm going with a '32 reproduction shell and grill.....an original is simply out of my budget. Many companies offer a standard height and a "chopped" height. I'm guessing I'm better off with a standard height?

Radiators: What's my best choice for a reasonably priced radiator that'll fit in a '32 shell and adequately cool a ~450-500 hp small block? No, I don't have that much power.....yet. :D But I want to plan for the future!

11. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Grills- I bought a stock height Brookville repop shell and we have to cut about 1" off the sides to get the right rake from cowl to grill shell top. New aluminum radiator fits just fine. Will paint that sucker black to hide the shinny aluminum. I wanted a straight line along the hood from cowl to grill top for a proper stance. Beginning to think stance is overlooked on a lot of builds.

Seats- I got a stock seat riser when I got mine. Some plywood for base and seat back is all the seat man needs to build me a perfectly fitting front seat.

12. Tommy R

Tommy R

Gary is back working on the A and sent me a few pics yesterday...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

I like the rear leaf design.

14. Tommy R

Tommy R

Thanks! And in case anyone is interested, the rear spring is from the *front* of a '40 Ford sedan. I believe this is what Brian Bass used on his coupe when he first built it. I noticed it's higher now in the rear so he either replaced or rebuilt it, not sure. But before we proceed to modify the spring or notch the frame rails for up travel, we're going to put some weight on it and see how it looks relative to the body. Gotta make sure the tires end up in the right place. :)

15. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

could you do the same, using the rear leaf spring setup of a 1941 ford sedan?

16. Tommy R

Tommy R

Not sure what you mean...is a '41 leaf much stiffer than a '40?

17. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Sorry, answered my own question.

18. Tommy R

Tommy R

Gary's been working!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just resting on there now, but it's a sign of things to come! I'm getting VERY excited....
    [​IMG]

quickrack-alan likes this.
  19. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Regarding seats, I was told the older Chevy S-10 seats are nice because they are easy to modify because they are of a simple tube frame design. It's a nice, simple bench seat that can be easily cut down to any size and upholstered to look vintage.

20. The second row seats from dodge caravans work, but they need to be modified. There isn't a reclining mechanism and an armrest on one side that needs to be removed.

21. Tommy R

Tommy R

Thanks, guys. Hopefully it won't be too much longer and I'll be looking for a seat. In the meantime, I'm really excited about the progress that's been happening!

grits likes this.
  22. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Howaah! That is really making progress now. Are you considering a chop on the top?

23. Tommy R

Tommy R

Absolutely! It'll likely be one of the last bits of bodywork done to the car. I'd like to get the floors installed, along with the seats, pedals, and steering wheel first. This way I can make sure I'll have enough leg and head room after the chop. After all, I plan on spending a LOT of time in this car road tripping it so I want to make sure it's comfortable for long trips.

Ultimately, I'm thinking a 3"-5" chop is where I'll end up.

24. SoTxGuy

SoTxGuy

Tommy, I just spent a few hours reading you thread. I know the feeling of not finishing a project on a timely schedule. I got a 58 Bug I'm waiting on interior parts for to finish a 6 year job. Let alone my 56 Chevy Moredoor driver & now my 30 Ford Tudor project I just got. I'm doing the rails too. Do you still have the frame jig. Would you loan/rent/sell it? Give me a PM thanks Scott in Lago

25. Tommy R

Tommy R

Hi Scott! Yeah, it was a tough decision to have someone else do so much work on the car, but I'm lucky to have a friend whom I trust and so far he's going a great job!:D

Regarding the frame table, it's in the Dallas area as it was used to finish my chassis. Also, I'll be selling it to Gary (my friend working on the car) as partial payment for the work he's doing. So unless he's interested in letting it go, I think it'll be remaining at his shop after all the work is done.

26. Tommy R

Tommy R

Hey y'all! Hope everyone is having a great holiday. :)

The last time we left our hero, there had been huge steps made by Gary at Past Time Customs. Well, Gary is continuing to work his magic and is truly going above and beyond with his work! I can't thank or recommend Gary strongly enough. If any of you in the north Texas area are looking for work, you owe it to yourself to touch base with him. His screen name here is Grits, FYI.

Well, let's go in chronological order since the last update. First, here's another pic of the car with Leroy standing guard. ;)
    [​IMG]

An outside pic from a while ago.
    [​IMG]

And with Gary's stunning '60s style coupe in the background!
    [​IMG]

Then Gary got jiggy with the media blasting!
    [​IMG]

Turns out he can paint, too. ;)
    [​IMG]

Wait a minute... Why's the body off the frame again?
    [​IMG]

Holy smokes! He's a sandblasting maniac!
    [​IMG]

Notice near the top of the cowl where the hood supports are. It appears a section of a cowl from another Model A had been cut and welded into place. Not quite sure why, but I'm sure the reason will reveal itself eventually. Probably excessive holes in the cowl.
    [​IMG]

Hold on... Is that paint on the chassis? And is that fresh sheetmetal in the back there?
    [​IMG]

Wow, the door and quarter belt lines are aligned!
    [​IMG]

Oh my!! :)
    [​IMG]

Looking SO much better...
    [​IMG]

He even went and blasted and painted the motor!
    [​IMG]

I'm so excited that the car is making so much progress and it's coming out even nicer than I'd hoped!

27. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Been a year since I heard much from you and wondered how you were doing? Looks like make decent progress. Good to see strong sheet metal after blasting the body! I have been able to drive mine a couple of times to bring out the bugs. Am supposed to be able to pick it up on Saturday and go to get interior started next week.

28. Tommy R

Tommy R

Thanks, man! Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by what was revealed under the paint.

And congrats on yours!! That's great stuff! :)

29. One Hoss Shay

One Hoss Shay
    from Wichita KS

Looking really good!

30. bt34

bt34

Is there any chance of a couple of pics of the green A Coupe in the background (Gary's) ??
    Thanks and good luck...
    bt