Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK, why, an inliner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Jan 31, 2012.

1. rampant150

rampant150

Im building my 235 because it bolts in place of the 216 and every Tom, Dick, and Harry runs a 350.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. farna

farna

The 235 with a nice torque (RV/towing/4 wheeling) cam will be great! Don't rev the thing high. build on its strength instead, which is low speed torque. That will get you a gas mileage champ that still has lots of get up and go from a standing start. Gear it to cruise in the 2000-2500 rpm range. Don't forget tire size makes a big difference in cruise speed too! I use the calculators at www.4lo.com to figure all that out. I typically cruise in the 65-70 range, so I want to hit 70 just before 2500 rpm in OD. Don't mind a few hundred more rpm if I'm in a hurry, but I don't run continuously over 3000 rpm.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Why an inliner?

Because nothin' feels better than packin' a pair of six-shooters.
    I think my grandchildern will agree.

[​IMG]

4. While my car is not at the level of the above I do run a slant six in my rail and have been quietly involved in a step by step fresh page new look at this long stroke/small bore motor. Last weekend at Picton Airfield my research and work all came together when I ran an injected 454 FED whom I have raced many times before because we are often the only FEDs in the field. Usually he can spank me if he is running at all well. I was ok with that as I have only 246 cubes in a car that weighs very close to his weight. However over the winter I switched from just an old mans ride motor to a more serious look at making power. My newly done head and my custom made cam to my specs gave me two wins out of three runs against the big Chevy. After that when someone says "you should have a V8" I can only grin and say "Why?" And in the immortal words of Winston Churchill "I have not yet begun to fight!" Sixes are just plain FUN! I have even now less then $2000 in the motor and have run now 6 years +.
    Don

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Roger53

Roger53

Because it's not all about HP! Sorry just being blunt back at ya.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

mine in progress, still unsure on headers if to go for stovebolt cast, or run some tubular ones i have. and if to run tripple 97s, rochesters, or holleys?
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. trukin55

trukin55

I had this engine in a 69 F-bird. One of the best engines I have ever had. 250 ci 230hp 4 barrel quadrajet. stock. i always thought the engine looked cool and would look great in a Hotrod. The car had a hurst 3sp and a 4.11 rear. I was beating stock 350's. Thats the car that got away. The one I wish I still had.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. momach

momach

For those of us who have "tight quarters"
    I'm trending the way of an inline for more room. Steering shaft room, plus master cylinder room.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Gromit

Gromit

10. willymakeit

willymakeit

Im going back and forth between a 302 ford sm. blk. and a 300 straight six for my new build.
    It is a hard decision.

11. Fordman75

Fordman75

300!:)

12. In 1953:
    239 CI Ford Flathead, 100hp
    235 CI Chevy OHV 6 100hp

In 53 the 6 was a more modern OHV engine.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. When I finish my 1948 Chrysler powered by a 400SBC/TH350, I'm going to use my Slant Six to build a Model T roadster....everybody has put a small block it a T, but I haven't seen a Slant six in one yet.....and if I don't use the Slant Six, I'll use the Chevy 2 four banger that's on my engine stand !

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

All my current drivers and projects have 6's in them. Why? Because they've had them for 50 plus years and still run great, so why change them.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. livinlow

livinlow

well i have a stovebolt in my '58 and a 351 in my ford pickup. i do like the easy power advantage of the v8, but i just feel cooler driving a stovebolt. maybe the sensation of driving a 6 is just that it feels cool to drive!

16. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

What's wrong with this picture? Absolutely nothing.
    Bored out 292, over 30,000 miles without touching the motor, carbs or plugs. 22+ mpg @ 65 mph and looks like nothing else at a car show.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

Soooo sweeeet! To the OP - if I have to explain, you would'nt understand.;) Seriously though, some of us are just into cruisin and looking good. I'm always amazed how many hopped up V-8s get trailered to the show by a 6 cylindered cummins with 4 doors.:confused: To each his own, build what you want. Vive la difference!:)

18. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

i have gmc 302 in a35 chevy with 243 gears and it has that torque at low end like a harley real fun to drive

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

20. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

21. dkWayfarer50

dkWayfarer50
    from Denmark

It costs a little more money to tune, but it also looks much cooler. People also pay money to get tattoos that do not give them muscles, but looks cool:) And in Denmark we also have the small problem that we have to pay an extra charge for putting a V8 in, and it must be approved to it, which may well be a challenge.

Andreas from Denmark

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

An old restorer friends 35 Chevy roadster with blueflame 6, triple carbs and headers in front of a T400.

Rons 35 Master.jpg Rons 35 engine.jpg

Countn'Carbs, volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This one is re-opened... but please stay ON TOPIC and stay away from generally being assholes. :)

Kustomism, volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I like them…(sorry vid went sideways… got mesmerized…forgot about the camera)o_O

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. I think what I like about sixes most is there is not a lot of stuff available so you have to think and work you way forward which is a lot more fun then heading to the speed shop like the Gabor girls on a clothes shopping spree buying everything you may or may not need. Since my last post I pushed it a lot further and am now content at the power level achieved. It was beyond my wildest dreams. Not everyone can run a six though. Some need to be part of a crowd or "in group." Their interest would be different then most of ours and is more social then technical..

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Built this in the early 80's and had it in a 71' torino with 4spd and 3.50 gears...daily driver for ten years..wish I had something to put it in now..

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

image.jpg My inline has beat a ton of v8s

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I really Like it when old threats pop up again, espacialy when its so informative and fun as this one!

I most confess I have a thing for being different, and this is my kind of thing.

The Flathead Ford is the King of traditional hot rodding! But the straight six is the runner up, regartless of it being a Stovebolt, Jimmy or Leaning Tower of Power. Or the more odd, like 8 in a row.

If anybody have anything to add that would be approciated.

I Love the story of fast cars holding there own on there own Streets, and one Day/Night Lines up at the lights with a no-good looking crusty old dog, and when the lights drops, they get there @ss handed too them, and still has the balls to up to the guy and ask WTF is in that thing!
    Undersdog and carguy is a powerful combo.
    In the two years I bet you there must be some people on he that build a mean inliner, that needs to step up and show it.

There was a Straight Eight guy on here building a Hardcore mill for the salt, he deserves to be part of this "Hall of Fame" to show what people can du instead of stuffing a V8, and still keep it cool and FAST!

Salt racers, seemes to have a Bigger love for straight inline fun then Drag racers, Pun intended.
    Not that eighter is lame, differenses make the unique cool, to me.

So them who agree, stand up and be proud.

29. farna

farna

Cubic inches are cubic inches -- doesn't matter much how you arrange them. Sure, there are bore and stroke ratios to consider -- a long stroke small bore engine will create lots of low rpm torque and not get anywhere fast, but may pull that big bore/short stroke/fast revving engine backwards while it spins the wheels. If you don't need a lot of cubic inches or really high revs, a four or six is as good as anything else. I-6s are naturally balanced too, because the counter weights are 180 degrees out from the pistons (directly opposite). If the pistons/rings/rods are the same weight the reciprocating parts are balanced, crank doesn't need balancing. V- engines (and I-4s) have the counterweights at odd angles and are harder to balance.

I too like to see something different. The only disadvantage to an I-6 is the length -- harder to stick it in a small car. Height can be an issue, that's why Chrysler leaned their I-6 over at an angle. Could keep the height for a long stroke (which makes good low speed torque, and makes the vehicle easier to drive on the street) and still make the hood low. Any I-6 can be leaned over, but it would need a custom oil pan and pickup, and maybe manifolds (though EFI should work at any angle). Have to consider oil drainback, but I'd think that engine design would just determine which way the block could be leaned.

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Farna: Was there an old comercial, saying: There is no Replacement, for displacement!
    But in this debate, the displacement is just one of many factor, that makes the engines behavior. But there is alot of factors weighing in.

I most confess that its the quierqe part of me that loves the inline Stovebolt or Jimmy.

I see why a 409 is faster then a 216. And its because of O-so many factors.

I like the flathead, but put against a 302 Jimmy, it looks damn cool, but has some hard times matching the 302. And the Flathead is by no means cheap, so the excample of the sixer be a big-bucks-build, is bustes/deflated.

I would love the Well build just as mutch!

Have anyone seen the T33 Chevy racer at the Hot Rod Hillclimb?
    Its running a straight six Stovebolt, with a Wayne 12 port head and zommies. It sounds so wicked!
    And that appeals to me. :cool:

Jeff Norwell likes this.