Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any aftermarket speec type parts for bbc 305 v6??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, Nov 6, 2014.

1. dannyego

dannyego

Looking to see if there are any aftermarket parts for my motor. Intakes, carb adapters, valve covers, anything??

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Are you talking about the GMC V6 engine? it's not a Chevy.....and I've never heard of any hot rod parts for it.

3. dannyego

dannyego

Yeah the gmc motor. I have seen stuff for oddball motors on here so I figured it was worth a shot.

4. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Take a look on the link below,quite a bit of stuff there to read but not much about after market stuff,guys have put 4 barrel manifolds and carbs on them but you won't make a rocket ship out of one,they were designed as stump pullers.

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/index.php

5. fsae0607

fsae0607

So you got one too, huh? :)

Yeah there's nothing in terms of performance. But what I've done to mine is upgrade to a Pertronix ignition, bumped up the static timing and installed lighter springs for the mechanical advance and installed duals with Brockman steelpacks. That woke it up quite a bit.

They're bulletproof engines, but very thirsty and heavy. Good for a cruiser. Check out my threads:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-project-1961-gmc.702987/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/starter-rebuild.849222/

Good luck. NAPA is a good place to get some parts for it.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

only "performance" part I've seen for the 305 V6 is another 305 V6

[​IMG]

fsae0607 and Max Gearhead like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

do an engine swap. Put in a 478 Magnum.

8. Danny,

I had a friend back in Seattle that had a nice custom mid 60's shortbox GMC with the 305 V6 and he tried everything, carb, 4bbl manifold, exhaust, etc... he could think of to beat my 50' chev with its tired 235... The absolute biggest improvement ever was changing the rear end gears to keep the V6 in its sweet spot. As I recall an older hotrodder from the club we hung around told him he was "working on the wrong end", and talked him into changing out both the 3 on the tree for a 4spd and changing out the rear end ratio. It made a world of difference in the drivability. Might be worth considering (that way if in the future you decide to bail the forklift motor you've not wasted a ton of cash)

9. squirrel

squirrel

the V6 equipped GMC trucks often came with a 3.54 rear gear...chevys mostly came with 3.90 or 3.73 depending on year.

I can see how that would make a difference. I personally like the 3.54, I put a GMC rear in my 59 chevy pickup. But that was after I put a BBC in it :)

10. fsae0607

fsae0607

My truck has the 3.90's in it. My poor 305 screams on the freeway. Planning on an A833 trans so I can at least stay out of the slow lane!

11. dannyego

dannyego

Eventually it will probably get a sbc. I'm garage less so I'm currently doing everything in my driveway much to the disappoint of my neighbors. At least a carb upgrade would be nice. I have heard about the mythical plaid head covers but have yet to see a pair in the wild. Or ebay...

12. Those things were basically thumpers, kind of like you might find in a tugboat. I doubt you could ever make much of a performer out of one.

13. oldolds

oldolds

They had heavy pistons. I would think if you got them out and reground a cam for them it would help quite a bit.
    You could just do the sbc for less and get more.

14. dannyego

dannyego

Not expecting much out of it. But I figure if stuff needs to be fixed or gaskets need to be replaced (sitting for 6 years) if there are small thing I can improve I might as well

15. fsae0607

fsae0607

SBC would be the easiest way for performance.

Here's a good thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=367487

I toyed with the idea, but I'm looking now for a GMC 270 or 302 for my truck. I have a 327 sbc as an absolute last resort, but it's not my first preference.

16. fsae0607

fsae0607

17. dannyego

dannyego

Thanks for the links!