Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods cheap 32 grills on ebay, any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doubledoyle, Nov 7, 2014.

1. doubledoyle

doubledoyle
    from norwich UK

Hi guys
    im looking for a 32 ford grill and insert for my model a. Has anyone bought one of these? I don't expect too much for $380.
    either that or can someone point me in the right direction of good repro one for a good $?
    Cheers.

2. Rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. JW

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The wysco ones are horrible, the vintique ones are not bad fitting but I believe it is theirs is the one that the insert hole is actually crooked to the rest of the shell,

I think the brookville might be the best fitting best made but the vintique looks most correct..

I suppose that info may be useless if the seller doesn't know the mfg... But I guess you can always ask them

4. I generally don't have the extra 1k it seems to take to get an original and have bought and used 2 of the eBone imports. The insert doesn't fit perfect but anyone who can fabricate on their project should have the ability to make it work relatively easy. The purists may tell you different, but it's a decent part for the builder on a budget.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

ChoppingBlockCustoms likes this.

5. May I ad, that I always get the filled version, so I have zero input as to how any of the ones with holes might line up. That could be a different story. Cheers

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I picked one of these up and put it on my AV8. This and the hood are only repop sheetmetal on this car as the real stuff seemed pretty pricey at the time. This set up worked out ok as I needed to make some changes to the hood anyway given I was mating it to a 29 body. I have my grill set up with a regular 32 radiator cap and trim. The holes lined up well with the Walker rad. I used. I did have a bit of a problem with the trim that goes around the radiator cap where it dips down in the center and meets the grill. A little filing fixed that. Seems OK to me. As you can see--it lets all kinds of bugs find their final resting place in the radiator.

As an aside at Hershey this year--I saw some of the real stuff that were more reasonably priced than I can remember seeing them in the past.

Attached Files:

7. Might look in HAMB &Fordbarn for sale sections.

8. doubledoyle

doubledoyle
    from norwich UK

Cheers for the input guys think I'll give one a try.

9. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Mine was terrible. the way it was stamped the top crown bent forward leaving a 1/2" gap between hood and shell. Buying a Brookville. Although I do have an original.

10. 5window

5window

11. There actually are a couple of them in the class ads reasonable right now if someone was of a mind to look. They would be under parts for sale, I don't recall if they are repops though.

12. Did a quick search and only found a truck one for sale that is recent.

13. Just went through and looked, they would have been pretty close to my ads and nope not there now. I guess if its deuce and cheap it doesn't last. :D

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm sure the OP has already decided on this matter, but for those in the market for a grille insert; as I said on a similar thread; the first one that I bought was so flimsy that when you strummed the bars like a guitar, it sounded like the Chinese national anthem.
    I ultimately replaced it with one from Dales Mfg. in OK City, it was about $100 more but besides the bars being of heavier gage material, it fit in my Brookville shell much better.
    I don't know if any of the other ones are as good as the Dales insert but I have always heard that most of Bob Drakes stuff is pretty nicely made.

15. Damn it who bumped it this time.

Give us a break fellas if its older then a year leave it be.

16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Hmm...... By my watch, it's only 20 minutes older than the last time you bumped it up.....

I had to bust your balls on that on.

17. You should. LOL

For some reason I just cannot learn to look at the original post date, it is getting to where at least once a week I post my absolute best answer I can make up on a 900 year old thread. Makes me feel like a duffas, well more than my usual feel like a duffas.

18. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I wouldn't say that now. I'd just say you are giving everyone else a fair chance voice their opinions before you reveal the real solution to the situation at hand.

19. Then I would feel under pressure to come up with something that sounded intelligent. :D

There really was a couple of deuce grill shells in the classifieds for sale the last time I bumped my ads though and they were cheap. Too rich for my blood but I do remember looking and saying man those are cheap.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Beaner
    One thing that we (the long in the tooth types) forget is there are new members here (daily) who found the HAMB simply by doing a Google search on any given hot rod subject. In this case deuce grill shells and inserts, a pretty high traffic subject, all considered.
    The last date of discussion is more than likely the last thing on their mind to be paying attention to. Hell, I lurked here for a few years before signing on, never once did I look at posting dates. I can honestly say that I don't even remember how I stumbled onto this place.

21. LOL someone probably told you I was here. :D

really the last thing on my mind is original posting dates, I just always feel a little foolish when someone posts that I have answered a question that has somehow lost its current relevance. I am accustomed to feeling foolish when I am wrong about something, but for some reason it is a hard pill to swallow when I am not just wrong but in the wrong decade as well.. :D

22. I just ordered a shell and insert from So-Cal speed shop. I'll let ya know how they fit together when I get them. They were the only place that sold both pieces at the same time. (that I could find anyway)
    Pat

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Check out Bob Drakes website, they have sets to satisfy about any combinaton needed.

24. swifty

swifty

Back-Order Bob is out of stock of his Deuce grill shell packages.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I guess it depends on your point of view, but that tells me something.
    Someone thinks they are worth buying.
    Curious who he has making them for him.

26. I've been looking at Bob Drakes site for two months and the shells and inserts have been out of stock all along. So I saw that so-cal had them and ordered from there. We'll see when they arrive.