Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '41 willys pick-up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jan bogert, Nov 3, 2014.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

Saturday I traded my '31 flathead model a. I got this '41 willys pick-up. It was an old build that needs to be gone over. anyway my question is if it has a bad trans. modulator valve, of if its not connected will the car stumble and stall when put in gear?

Attached Files:

stillrunners likes this.
  2. cool truck. the willys panel is tits too
    couldn't be any vaguer? I have to say no, but it would make it not shift

3. jan bogert

jan bogert

I didn't get a chance to look at the truck yet, I do know when put in gear it stumbles and stalls out.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Could be as simple as a carb adjustment.
    Whats it got for a drivetrain?
    What carb?
    How about a LARGE engine picture?

loudbang likes this.

5. jan bogert

jan bogert

heres the motor a 350 chevy with this unusual set-up. its two side draft mikunie carbs. this is the first I seen this . I want to keep it on, but I don't know to much about these carbs,niether did the previous owner he had 9lbs of fuel pressure, the idle set screw was all the way out, and the idle mixture screws were at 5 turns out. I need to find more about these carbs., don't want to go with a four barrel that everyone has.

Attached Files:

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Go with the 4 barrel; for now. Send those off to Jim Inglese in CT., he will make them run like a top. There is a science to setting those up, and he knows how they work better than anyone. I can tell you right off 9 psi. is way too much. Idle mixture settings sound way off too. Might need closer to 2.5-3 psi. for fuel.

7. 41GASSER

41GASSER

That carb setup looks like a major headache. If it was a reliable, efficient setup they would be more commonly used.

8. Cool looking set up but looks like a head ache to toon !! I would swap out for a 4 barrel and go from there . At least you can hopefully fine your problem! Good luck

9. 32fenderless

32fenderless

This truck was built by Rob Ida in the late 80's early 90's. If you don't know who he is google him or Ida automotive!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. jan bogert

jan bogert

32 fenderless, I know Bob built it. he's one of the willys guro builders. I just need more info on the carbs.thanks for your response.

11. If your modulator valve is defective, in that diaphragm is broken, then you have a vacuum leak. When you put it in gear, rpm drop combined with the leak, could be causing it to stall.

12. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice little truck. Congrats.

13. jan bogert

jan bogert

so Algoma 56, a bad modulator valve WILL make the truck stumble and stall out when put in gear, is that what your saying, because that's what I thought it could be.

14. IF it's creating a vacuum leak, then likely cause of your stumble.

15. jan bogert

jan bogert

so today I changed the base gasket on the B&M blower thinking it was bad and loosing vacume. well it wasn't that, and I then went out and bought a edelbrock 1406 four barrel. tomarow i'll install it, hope that's the fix.

16. Ummm.....I don't see a blower....maybe I'm missing something....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. jan bogert

jan bogert

well the top part of the manifold where the carbs mount to. I was told by a guy that does weber set-ups that's what he called it.

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Are the pipes black? Could rule of if its running rich or not. Does the dist. have vac. advance, its hard to tell in the pic. Check vac. source to it, if it does have one.

19. jan bogert

jan bogert

vac. ad. is hooked up. I got the carb the best I could took it out today, takes the throttle ok, but at stops it wants to stumble and stall

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Might be the floats.

21. jan bogert

jan bogert

I also sprayed starting fluid around the carb and intake no rise in the idle.

22. Did you plug the line down to the modulator to eliminate that vacuum leak?

23. That Elderbrock.carb only takes 4.5 pounds of fuel pressure.

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Do you have a vacuum gage? It should be steady and read between 10 and 17 in.hg. at idle, depending on what cam is in it.

25. Skimmer

Skimmer

The truck looks good ......