Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A friendly Reminder....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

WEAR GOOD PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR WHEN WORKING ON YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!

I was cutting out old heater hoses which run to another heater core about halfway back under my cadillac. Wearing plastic protective glasses. Well sure enough a little spec of rust or something found its way into my eye. It seemed like no matter how hard i tried I couldnt get it out. Visine tears, wash cloths, water, etc. Thing wouldnt budge.

I called a doc to have them swab it out. I have zero health insurance and sure enough the minimum office visit was going to be $160. In a last desperate effort i squirted a bunch of visine tears in and it FINALLY after a half hour of messing with it broke loose!!!! Canceled the appointment right then and there thank god.

Im going to buy some better eye protection with rubber around it to seal shut. What an ordeal.

2. Had same happen while cutting rusty leaf spring nuts off. Was wearing safety glasses, and rusty material got down the back of them. First doc visit had good doc scrapping my eyeball, with a little grinder. He did a good job, but didn't get it all.
    Went back and got an incompetent fool, who didn't have a clue.
    So, now I gota see if I can get the good doc again.
    Wear the safety glasses that hug your face.

3. I thought I got the chunk outa my eye last year.
    Come Sunday I couldn't stand it! No Dr. office open so off to the ER

$1000 drill bit operation for me.

If you guys were Rx glasses. Check out Zeni Optical on line.
    I got prescription goggles for under $80 in about a week

4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I agree get the good stuff! Been there done that too many times! Cheap safety glasses give a false sense of security!

5. williebill

williebill

It's always gotten in my eye, no matter what. What can seem irritating on Saturday night will turn into serious shit by Sunday. A good eye doc can drill it out in a jiffy while laughing at what a dumbass you are... or maybe that's just been my experience

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had something get in my eye after I was all done once. no problems while working, but woke up with metal in my eye the next day. figure working on an old car you will make 50 million tiny shavings, it is a wonder we are all not blind.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hell, blow it out with compressed air. Don't use the drilled lo-pressure OSHA approved nozzle, though...You need 140 PSI.
    (just kidding, kids...this was satire. Don't do it!)

8. Brentphx

Brentphx

Let's get some good recommendations on sealed goggle type glasses... that don't remind us all of high school chemistry!

9. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Keep a strong (clean) magnet in your medicine cabinet. If that speck on your eyeball is metal, the magnet can pull it out or off of your eyeball. I had a key chain that looked like half of a fountain pen. I contained a strong magnet and you could hang it on the side of a car. Probably could not find the Damn Thing tomorrow but it helped retrieve stray metal shavings quite a few times. A small speaker magnet might work. If it just dirt see the Doctor !!!
    Had the old eyeball drilled once which was a company paid visit. Not much fun !!!
    Please wear GOOD Safety Glasses................................ Jeff

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. When I worked for an commerical roofing co. back in the 80s .I used to have to cut the tops off 55 gallon drums that the tar came in. At least once a month I would be at the E.R. Where they would numb my eye and get the metal shavings out .Hey we were all young and dumb. I wear my old glasses down at my shop and safety glasses over them. I may look like a mad sciencest but it saves the eyes..Bruce.

11. louisb

louisb

Was cutting some rusty metal and got a rusty metal shaving in my eye. Had to get the Eye Dr. to dig it out. He got most of it but there are still some rust specs there. Was one of the most painful things I have ever had to endure. Now I wear a full face shield when cutting, grinding, etc.

Next time I will tell you about taking a 3" x 2" swath of skin off my arm with a wire cup mounted on a 4" side grinder. Did I mention I was covered in fiberglass dust when I did this? Fun times.

--louis

12. CGkidd

CGkidd

I had some metal get in my eye and when my dumb ass finally went in and got it cleaned up it developed a neat little permanent rust ring in my eye.

13. Every one, has offered absolute expert advice here already. No one needs to hear about an eyeball removal to correct the damage from a projectile wire missile......exploding wire cup.....8 inch industrial...high speed.

But if there are any dummies past this post, I'd be happy to explain.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

while we are on the subject of eyes, be careful around bungee cords. my brothers friend lost an eye packing some stuff on his motorcycle and the bungee let go and hit him in the eye.

15. Fender1325

Fender1325

I went to harbor freight and got some mad scientist chemistry class goggles with the elastic. Im not taking anymore chances. I think I got it all out, but my eye still hurts almost 12 hours later. Hoping the morning will be better.

16. I'm a self employed engineer and I always wear safety glasses but have been to the doc on many occasions to get metal removed, doesn't matter how tight the glasses fit the sparks sometimes seem to bounce around and get in the eyes, we have a really good medical system over here so workplace accidents are subsidised. Went for a cat scan a few years ago and had to have my eyeballs x rayed to make sure there was no steel in them as the electro magnet in the scanner would have dragged the metal all over my eyes. Having medical insurance would be a good idea for future accidents!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I had to take a buddy to the eye doctor once with a wire from a wire wheel stuck in his eye. After seeing that and watching it get pulled out I now wear goggles and a shield when using power tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. I wear safety glasses whenever I work in my shop. About 8 years ago while at work we were aligning a louver punch in a press brake the tool was offset just a few thousands. When the operator moved the ram it sheared a piece of tool steel off the size of a 1.5" needle. It shot the piece through my right eye. I had 5 hours of laser surgery to remove it. I had to wait 7 days before they knew if I would see or not. I will have some issues for the rest of my life but the fact that I can see still amazes my eye doctor. Be safe in your shops to loose your sight would be tragic.