Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neglected-Overlooked V8s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Zerk

Zerk

Great posts, HotrodNisse! Not too easy to get Russian engine info. I'm picking out little similarities with the various engines to other nation's V8s...the ZIL 4104 looks a bit like Mercedes.

The Zil 114/117 V8 looks very much like a '70s-era US Ford big block to me, even to the carburetor.

Gaz 13 resembles the Oldsmobile Rocket '49-'64, with a 2GC carb.

The Gaz 14 is a cool looking engine, I have nothing to compare it to.

The Chinese Hongqi to me looks like a Chrysler A-series V8, and the driveshaft parking brake makes me think so even more.

You have inspired me to learn more about these unusual engines, thank you!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. I got the bug. Just don't have the physical ability anymore and I would have had to have found a driver.
    Whenever I need encouragement I pop World's Fastest Indian in the DVD player and I am good for a couple of months! Neil's belly tanker impresses me. I find it very interesting.
    don

Heavy Flat Head likes this.
  3. Since you all are talking 427 Chevys on the other side of the street so to speak I own and drive a Stage III 426Max Wedge 1963 Dodge with the rev2 NASCAR single four intake. (same as the one on the wall in Big Daddy's Museum. Have put just over 42000 miles on it since I did it and it will still standup and holler when I ask. Don't know about overlooked but it is rare. I also have here a 66 318 poly now out to 4 '' bore. If my health recovers I may finish it for something to do. There is some development work going on with these engines currently. New manifolds, new cam cores , porting experiments and stroker combos.
    don

4. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

5. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

6. The_Stig

The_Stig

Those are copies. They look like Fords. The automatic trannies are early Mopar copies

7. Yeah, that looks EXACTLY like a 1950's Chrysler V8 block - the engine mount ears, the oil filter boss, the frost plug style and locations, the bulge at the center frost plug, the stiffening ribs, the coolant drain, the oil pan and head bolt configuration.... but those heads are completely different than the 50's hemi or poly heads...

8. The_Stig

The_Stig

The Iron Curtainers somehow got their hands on Western cars and simply copied them. One of them was an old Opel copied in Poland and was called a Warszawa. The following was produced in 1963. The ones I saw over there were white, beige or some other light color. I thought they were ugly as sin, until I saw this one. Looks done pretty nice and I bet you could get them cheap, over there:

http://motowynalazki.blogspot.de/2011/06/sliczna-warszawa-m20-z-1963-roku.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following looks like a Mercedes. I'd guess, the 6.3 liter used to power presedential limousines and that sedan which had hydro-pneumatic suspension:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Zerk likes this.
  9. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

Warszawa is a license built Russian Pobeda! ;)
    http://en.autowp.ru/gaz/pobeda/
    http://en.autowp.ru/fso/warszawa/

Zerk likes this.
  10. I don't see how the Ford FE engine made the overlooked list. Those things are still pretty popular and going strong. Only problem is they are becoming a bit sacrce but it is not a huge problem.

Just put a Chevy 307 in my grandson's '59 El Camino w/ 283 PP heads, 'Corvette' cam. Great little engine. After all it is a 283 with a 327 crank; that's good pedigree in anyone's book. It got its bad rep from being born in the smog motor era but replacd the crappy tree-hugger heads and cam with good ones and it is a very fine engine.

11. Zerk

Zerk

12. Ford 260 V8 was great little engine. HRP

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Thousands of Jeeps were supplied to the Soviet Union under the Lend Lease program (basically gave them to them for free).

They got some of the first Jeeps made. They had "Ford" or "Willys" on the tailgate, depending which factory made them. The Ruskies insisted the names be taken off on subsequent shipments so they could tell their own people they were Russian products. This is why WW2 Jeeps have blank tailgates.

Ford also built a factory in Russia in the thirties, they turned out a car with a Model A type engine. They turned out Jeep type vehicles in WW2 and afterwards, with Ford motors.

Zerk likes this.
  14. The_Stig

The_Stig

Gentlemen, Pobeda had to copy someone:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:GAZ-M20_Pobeda

15. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

16. My favorite bellybutton :)

17. The_Stig

The_Stig

Let's not forget that Horch built 66° V-8s as well as a 12:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

A oddbal big block mopar would be the 350 wedge and it's RB counterpart, the 383. 4 1/8 bores with a 3.38 stroke in the 350 and a 3.75 in the RB383. Not to be confused with the 383 low block, the long stroke 383 was a 58-59 model. Also want to mention the 340 ,and 350 Buick, I had a 68 GS 350 with a powerglide, and it screamed after my brother worked the QuadraJet.

19. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I didn't see any mention of the 'Chrysler' poly-motors, as opposed to the more common Plymouth poly's.
    Late 50 Chrysler poly's are the cheap versions of the Hemi-versions. (Same engine, except for the heads and pistons.)

Here's the 354 poly motor in my '57 Chrysler with a Weiand dual quad 392 Hemi intake mounted;

[​IMG]

Hotrodmyk and Zerk like this.
  20. 73RR

73RR

^^^^^^the Spitfire is a well-kept secret. Most folks look at them and have no clue just how good they are.

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418667417.065020.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418667440.278502.jpg

Does this count?

I like the V8-60. If they could make them run like a raped monkey in the midget cars, so can we in anything small. :D

That engine bigblockmopar posted looks a little like them W rat engine. I like them alot.

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Putting chevy guts in a nash block that had 1" more deck height would not work very well.

23. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

wow, I must be a real loser.....my poor ol' T-bucket has a 307 sbc....and my Model A is running a flathead.....sigh.

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I can't say much about the first
    Sentence, except:

1. If you infact em a loser, I'm no the one thats gonna judge you!

2. And If I was, your choise of engine and car, is a factor you got that going for you!

Back to the regular show. :D

25. I think the 307s got a bad rap because the first couple of years production were oil burners! How GM could take parts from their 283 and 327, put them together and come up with an oil burner, I'll never figure out. I did like selling oil to the 307 owners back then, though. That and the low output smog factor certainly made them a lessor motor than the 283 that they replaced.

26. Ive got a couple of the slant 4 cyl international engines. the V8 binder engines all have sets of matched heads. you have to change them out in pairs. international also made a 404 V8

27. I owned a 56 Packard many years ago. I believe the V8 was about 352 cu. in?

28. The 366 & truck 427 are not the same casting as the muscle cars. they are tall decks. the intakes from the muscle cars wont fit on them. I own a few of each and can tell the difference in a heartbeat. the relation of the upper water pump bolts to the deck is about a 1/2 inch on the truck blocks.

29. They are tall decks however they where not longer stroke. in fact a 366 or 427 steel crankshaft will fit in a 396-402 or 427 low deck passenger car block. it has to be balanced to work with the different weight pistons. the taller deck accommodated a different piston & rod combo.

30. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've seen adds Studebaker with Ford 289 or Rambler with Chevy 327.