Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Get the stoutest drive train parts made (& 5/8 axle studs, its no fun loosing one or both rear wheels). You gotta get a real clutch assembly too, the $99.95 rag Zoom kit ain't gonna cut it. I'm very excited for you guys!

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

It just so happens that the guy with the 32 Chevy Sedan has "W" motor cores...

3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

High nines with a "W" to me is way cooler than 8's with anything else....by the way he originally was going to put one in the sedan.

4. sch-1

sch-1

How cool is looking at the ass end of another car? You show up running high 9's and that's about all your going to be seeing. If your going to join them you want to be able to run with them! 9.1 or bust!

5. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

They have cars of every speed in their group...

91whitestang, volvobrynk and beebee78 like this.
  6. The SEG is made of cars running 5.60' to 8.50's, and the cars are paired accordingly. Yes I would love to run 8.90's-9.00's with the top group as I'm sure The Border Bandits would, but not everyone is mentally or financially prepared to go that fast, yet anyways. That's what so cool about the SEG, and the reason why they don't post ET's or MPH on the score boards. I could see in the future maybe have A,B,C,D Gas classes run in the perspective groups. Then, when there is one left from each class, run Top Eliminator, and handicap the start according to the average, or fastest ET from each class, with obviously no break out rule. Ultimately, in my book, a 2000-2100 lb. car (Anglia would be my choice)with a 650+HP 335-350" engine, would be an 8.60-8.70ish, 155+ mph weapon, & this engine, would not cost an arm and leg to build.

7. sch-1, are you building something for the SEG, or already have a player?

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The 55 ford and 32 Sedan plan on kill mode when the cars are sorted out...me, I plan on mid 9's as a goal to work to. I have two full passes in a stick shift car, so I have some practice before I'm Ronnie Sox.

91whitestang, volvobrynk and beebee78 like this.
  9. sch-1

sch-1

Just a dreamer! I would love to, but just don't have the means. Or the truth I guess is the dedication or commitment.

I agree your thought on the lightest car available with the lowest SBC HP required to run desired ET is the least expensive ticket to get into the game.

I'm thinking that the FED might even be a less expensive opportunity? Lot's of old rollers out there on the West Coast, isn't there?

10. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

I would love to build a "W" motor but don't think I could get the car light enough to be competitive.

11. Dreamers always make it sound so easy. None of us are in this for money so win or lose it will still always be about the fun no matter what just a friendly hobby for us. My car will be the 55 ford it will be powered by a small block ford backed by a Jerico Trans and a Dana rear end. Car will be gutted and everything will be fiberglass to hopefully be light for this big boat. I know it's really not considered a boat but compared to my little coupe it's a boat. The car will also have to be faster than my street car "The little coupe" and it runs in the high 9s with enough mph to go low 9s so yes I hope to be competitive with the SEG. Will post more pics when they are available :D

Attached Files:

Pufff, ManiacT, no1nitrofreak and 5 others like this.
  12. powrshftr

powrshftr

That one is gonna be awesome!

I'm gonna have to get ahold of you for some tuning and setup brainstorming when I start getting the Hemi together for my coupe.....Now I'm torn though....I've wanted a blown Hemi fenderless A coupe since I was a kid,but to run the SEG rules I need to move my motor forward,put fenders on it,and ditch the HydroStick trans.....I'm so conflicted!lol!

At any rate,I can't wait to see all these cars at the Meltdown next year!You guys TOTALLY "Get It"!:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

II FUNNY and beebee78 like this.
  13. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm liking where this is going. As interest in the SEG keeps spreading I'm hoping it creeps farther north. Maybe even mutate into a Northern version with something along the lines of the North South shootout. Continuing on with the this year's mid season tilt at the Meltdown event between the 2 groups would be epic. Of course I realize I'm still on the outside looking in unless the Northern spread can take a Westerly route when it hits the lakes. I keep hoping some of these vintage and gasser events start happening within 8 or 10 hours from my door. That close and I would be far more inclined to start travelling to more of these events.

volvobrynk and beebee78 like this.
  14. SCH-1, here ya go. $2700 with a pre-57 Pontiac rear, with a never used M/T Magnesium third member!, or $4000 with the Magnesium rear wheels on it. DM rail 1.jpg DM rail.jpg Dm Rail 2.jpg DM rail 3.jpg DM rail 4.jpg

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

I want that...

Think my wider than the average bear shoulders would fit the cage ?

16. Davie, 8 or 10 hours from "the frozen tundra".., where's that, Greenland?, or is that Saturn..,where is my fricken compass?

volvobrynk and beebee78 like this.
  17. Saxxon

Saxxon

8 hours would be Minneapolis
    Or Grand Forks by dog sled... towing the Scout... on grass

18. sch-1

sch-1

This dreamer knows it's not easy! Well on a budget anyway. I have nothing but respect for guys trying to compete with home built cars against cars that are very deceptively simple, but expensively pro-built and powered by some pretty trick engines.

That's why I get such a kick out of seeing Dale (Skull Garage) in the Bad Penny gaining each .10th. I know he is working his butt off to get it. But there is no one who enjoys it more.

62hotcat likes this.
  19. CGkidd

CGkidd

Cool stuff so far. Wish I had the cash for a rail like that. Olds powered of course.

20. sch-1

sch-1

"SCH-1, here ya go."

PBR, is that yours? That is too COOL! That is exactly what I was dreaming about!

Wonder when the SEG Group will be formalizing a set of rules for the FED's?

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

They could have a splinter group called "Southeast Diggers";)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. DANG SCOTT! Good pull on that one!

23. Its a friends, my brother and I are door car guys, that's the only reason we haven't nabbed it for our selves. Price seems reasonable.

24. By the way, I forgot to say earlier, I would also be completely happy with a 33 Willys for my ultimate build, but I forgot the combination to the National Treasury vault. How about a Morris Minor.., 86" wheel base, and lighter than an Anglia in stock form.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. sch-1

sch-1

Will any of the Border Bandit guys be coming back to Greer this weekend?

26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

As of now...no. That 13.5 hour drive to spectate is a killer.

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ric would you send it my way would gladly pay you Tuesday for a digger today.

28. sch-1

sch-1

Under the SEG rules a 33 Willys glass race weight body would be expectable, wouldn't it? Plus you would have the advantage of stick building the chassis! Of course there goes the budget if your having to pay to have it built.

29. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

As much as we would love to come back to Greer this weekend it probably isn't going to happen. Although we did get a cool shot of us at the starting line this past weekend when we were there as a group but unfortunately the event got rained out and moved to this coming saturday, nov 8th.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, beebee78 and II FUNNY like this.
  30. I'll be crying @ my kids soccer game.

beebee78 likes this.