Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Time to start on my 51 Merc after 20 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by low51fan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. low51fan

low51fan

Your info helps more than you know. First off I am doing the same process as the way you did. At least I have a reference point from the other side.I do have some braces on mine but it is farly stable being a coupe and my floors are still installed although rusty.
    So here is my question. I see you bought your rockers from green mountain as did I. The inside of the rockers are open to allow you to weld the original floor in. In my case the inner rockers and floors were shot I am assuming yours too. Did you just weld a cover on the inside rockers that created a lip you could set your replacement floors on? Kinda where I am stuck?
    Thanks Jim

2. low51fan

low51fan

I just looked at your last picture on the floors and see yours had the inside flange that connects the floors to the rockers mine do not have this.

3. jwoods

jwoods
    from lansing

GREAT CAR! thanks for posting my 49 is about to be going through the same procedure.

4. low51fan

low51fan

Thanks! lots of work and a lot for me to learn. I wish you the best on your 49. I will be waiting to see your project

5. low51fan

low51fan

Well after receiving my parts from Matt Townsend and his artwork it got me going on doing some of my own. the bottom of my A pillar was gone so I fabbed a new inside bracket. I am now making the new sheet metal pieces that wrap around it. I know I need a few more tools but so far my grinder 4" bench vise and body tool hammer set seems to be working.

Attached Files:

• fabq.jpg
      fabq.jpg
      File size:
      865.5 KB
      Views:
    • fabr.jpg
      fabr.jpg
      File size:
      749.5 KB
      Views: