Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 ford front crossmember differences???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbedT, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Can anyone let me know if there are early & late 32 ford front crossmembers. The reason I'm asking is that I bought an original one a few years back & I always figured that the 32 engine mounts were the "L" shape bolt on type & weren't part of the water pumps as per later design. I know they were pump in head design. I was going to start fabricating some of the L shape mounts & I was just looking at the crossmember that I've got. It has pressed recesses where the mounts go at the back of the C member.

Dimensionally side by side with a model A - C member they look the same.

But there are 2 other large holes which look like engine mounting holes in the area where the "L" shaped mounts would go which have obviously been used as they are slightly elongated through prolonged use. I thought it might be a 33-34 but the dimensions are the same as a Model A one

Can anyone shed some light on this for me - Bruce??

Sorry no pics as my digital camera wont let me download any pics at the moment.

2. Sorry i dont have a link, but there was a post just the other day showing engine mounts to a stock chassis............hmmmm it may have been an A model, tr a search anyways. hope this helps.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There are at least 3 front crossmembers for the 32 frame, early ones have specific 4 and 8 cylinder versions, while later ones have a combination 4/8 crossmember.

4. Anyone have any pics???

5. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Maybe jpbanjo will answer this post. He has the skinny on the cross members and has a 32 roadster that he has owned since 1955.

6. bttt anyone??

7. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Not crossmember related...but i think i read somewhere that some of the very early frames did not have the reveal line. Id like to find one of those.

8. In the 'Deuce" book by Tony Thacker - the 80's one, there is a photo of a early pre production car with a chassis with no swage in it.

9. here's the pic of the crossmember does anyone know what its off. I was told that it was from a South American 32 Tudor

10. alchemy

alchemy

That's a 33 or 34 crossmember. It's missing the front triangular radiator mounts.

11. Southfork

Southfork

Are you sure its 33/34? One of my Deuce Frames has the pictured front crossmember in it, while another has the closer mount spacing for the "L shaped" motor mounts. I guess that it is possible that someone removed the original front crossmember back in the day and put in a 33/34 crossmember, however.

12. This is the best I can do. Stock 32 "B" chassis from under a panel truck.

Attached Files:

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'll measure a '32 crossmember distance between holes; The early crossmembers are very rare and are unlikely to be encountered...I think like 99% will be the B-V8 same spacing type.
    The one shown isn't '32...I also guess late '33 or '34. It'll be wider than '32, probably about the same width as a Model A crossmember. Go look at frame drawings on Wescott site; probably enough detail there for positive ID.

14. Thanks for the replies,everyone.

Bruce - I think you're right I think it's a 33-34 crossmember. I just wondered if it was a factory fitted into a 32 as I know back home in England 32's were made up until 1934, so mybe it was the same in South America. The thing which makes me think - is that there are holes drilled which would have been used for the 32 L shape engine mounts which would account for the wear, so maybe a mismatch of parts before the 33's came out. Who knows

15. alchemy

alchemy

What am I, chopped liver? I told you that days ago. Nobody listens to me. Sheesh. :)

Jeem likes this.
  16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Parts could not be mixed, as crossmember is wider and nothing would fit in the forward sheetmetal. British "Late" '32's had pure '32 frames, only alterations were minor styling changes and bolt-on mechanical parts from later series. Non-British origin later '32's would have been just regular US or Canadian parts kits assembled after actual production ceased...
    The alternate mount holes...might be just an old swap. Are the areas around hole dished or just marked from the mounts?? Asking because of a historical possibility... early 1933 Fords had forged L-shaped mounts much like 1932, except they were shorter. These cars had a different crossmember than the later '33's and 4's. It would seem just possible that there was a transitional crossmember able to take both arrangements, but if so those mount positions would have stamped depressions for the mounts to sit in and not just a drilled holes. I've seen early '33 setups but do not know mount span.
    '33-4 B's, passenger and model 46, used a wider mount than '32 that fit the V-8 mount span. Presumably there was yet another '33 mount bar for B's with the early crossmember. There were huge numbers of changes during '33-4.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also, I don't have dimensions here, but the match to Model A width seems about right. It should prove to be slightly too wide for direct use in a '32 frame...I have '32 crossmember out where I could get overall dimensions easily.
    South American '32s were made in or assembled from parts made in Edgewater NJ, either in RHD or LHD, and are the same as USA even if actually assembled after '32 production ended.

18. Alchemy, I thought you were right but I hoped you weren't.

Thanks again.

Bruce the other holes in the C/member aren't stamped just drilled by the looks. So I guess I can still use it if I modify it somewhat.

19. Here is pix of a stock one . It has been replaced at one time because its bolted in.

20. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

Anyone have a decent one for sale? If so please shoot me a PM.

21. BJR

BJR

Do you realize the thread you just posted to was from 2009?

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

WTH?? It's 1954 here.

bct likes this.
  23. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

Yes I did. Interesting thread.