Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neglected-Overlooked V8s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Mar 13, 2010.

1. How are they non small block.the 4.6 4 cam is a 281ci. Almost the same as the 4.6 gt 2 cam.both are awesome motors.i have the 2 cam 260hp and its a going,revin motor.i love it

2. Beau

Beau

Olds 215! Not a powerhouse engine but light weight and kind of neat.

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

But whose idea was it to build a diesel out of one of the most oversquare engines ever? I'm thinking one of the abovementioned truck 366/427s might have been a better starting point for that exercise. Use a 454 crank in a 366 for a slightly undersquare 389. It might just make a cool diesel.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

4. Uh where have you been. :rolleyes:

I could go down your list and point out that at least 2/3 of what you mentioned is very dear to most of use but what would be the point.

5. You know this thread was started over two years ago, right?

6. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

An old thread, yes, but its cool to look back sometimes. Lots of different opinions and ideas.

7. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

Don't know if it got mentioned, not a hot rod engine, but interesting. REO truck built a V8 in the 50's that was a wet cylinder block. Every cylinder was a wet sleeve pressed in the block.
    White Motors built a motor called a Giesel in the early 70's They didn't build gas engines anymore, but had some demand. So they took a Cummins V8 diesel, put spark plugs in the injector holes, put a Holley on top, and made a diesel into a gas motor!! Opposite of GM.

8. Most of what he posted has been sought after and admired for a lot longer than that by real rodders.

He pretty much mentioned every engine family that we use. You and I were both savvy of that two years ago or even clear back in '03 when we joined.

9. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

I have to 2nd the Rambler 327, i did the mathematics and i could squeeze 700+ HP out of the engine with enough money (3K or so?) some time and a two good turbos.

10. The_Stig

The_Stig

AMC were grab bags of Big Three parts (Saginaw steering gears, Borg-Warner trannies, etc...). I can't imagine that they could afford their own tooling for complicated units such as engines, due to their comparitively low market turn over. Some say they built their own entirely, although they offered a 390, for instance.
    Is what they say truth or myth?

11. kennb

kennb

There are so many great engines out there. I'm so sick of seeing sbc's.
    Ken

12. The early AMC V8 was designed with what little money was on hand in 1955 and introduced in 1956 replacing a V8 outsourced from Packard. Rest assured it is an entirely AMC design; any vintage Motor's or Chilton's manual will back that up. There were two displacements, around 250 CI and 327 CI. It was used through about 1968 when the modern AMC V8 came about.

13. Texas Mopars

Texas Mopars
    from Texas

What about the ever elusive Vauxhall V-8? :p

14. I have one of those old 400 Ford motors. Has 517K miles. Heads NEVER been off!

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ALL 289's are totally dissed by the neo-traditionalists, Chip and I were just talking about this off-board a couple days ago. I cant think of anything more disrespectful to the 289's sixties performance heritage than to try to dress it up as some kind of half-assed fake y-block by adding 3-bolt carbs and FE valve covers. Especially when almost ALL the original sixties Cobra stuff is still available. When the 289 arrived on the scene, that was pretty much the end of ANY performance interest in the clunky old overwieght, asthmatic Y-block. The 289 should, by rights, have almost as much sixties hot rod cred as a 327 with camel-bumps. It did at the time, not that that matters to the neo-traditionalists.

While the 400M is a great starting point for makiing serious horsepower(and I have been saying that for three decades, long before it became the "flavour of the week") It is in no way shape or form HAMB friendly. By the way, Jack Roush had one in his cobra "kit car" as far back in the early eighties.

Phillips likes this.
  16. flacoman

flacoman
    from Sunrise FL

[Q

While the 400M is a great starting point for makiing serious horsepower(and I have been saying that for three decades, long before it became the "flavour of the week") It is in no way shape or form HAMB friendly. By the way, Jack Roush had one in his cobra "kit car" as far back in the early eighties.[/QUOTE]
    Jon Kaase builds 400 M 's for his dyno challenge engines :)

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jon Kaase builds 400 M 's for his dyno challenge engines :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, my post was in response to that, hence the "flavour of the week" comment. My point was that some guys got wise to the 400M's potential decades before Kaase made it popular.

18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The 366 chevy engine was based on GM's offshore boat racing engine development program in 1969 and has a bore of only 3.937 the heads have small ports and the manifold is very restrictive. They are mostly an idustrial engine use in dump trucks and busses. I guess the Blue Bird bus company bought a whole shit pile of 'em.:rolleyes:

That's because for the most part THEY ARE! If i recall,from reading Tex Smith's Complete hemi engine manual. It says Chrysler sold the tooling for the Red Ram hemi to Toyota back in the 80's :mad:

19. The_Stig

The_Stig

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

AMC built their own engines from scratch. As far as the Saginaw, Borg-Warner etc parts, all car companies buy parts from outside suppliers.

Spicer rear axles, Wagner Bendix or Lockheed brakes, GE or Westinghouse headlights, Rochester Carter or Holley carburetors, Autolite or Delco electrics, Harrison radiators, Briggs or Budd bodies, Warner manual transmissions etc etc etc.

21. The_Stig

The_Stig

Rochester carburetors, Delco-Remy and Saginaw are (still?) or were GM subsidiaries, as Mopar to Chrysler and Autolite to Ford. I'm almost sure Harrison is also GM owned.
    I've once read that GM bought Ford manual trannies, while their Saginaw plant was on strike

22. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

23. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

24. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

25. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

I would look at a Ford 260, V8, and a MOPAR 273 V8

26. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

27. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

28. Mopar 400 is a very good engine. I built one for "Nascar Returns to Lemans" headed by Christophe Schwartz in Europe. It was for a 72 Charger and was for promotion, driver training and practice. In 09 they put it in full use. Have 11 chassis dyno sheets on it(in German or auf Deutsch). Last I heard it was still running and racing and is in what in vintage European Racers now refer to as "The Orange Charger. Originally it was painted s the Olympia Charger of which there were two. Lots of video on the web of it running at Lemans , St Croix and Nurburgring on the Web. It has been running unmolested since it left here in a crate some 8 years. Huge 4.340 bore with a short 3.38 stroke (.100" less then a Small block 350 Chevy) give this engine the ability to rev high for a long time with very low stress on rods etc comparatively speaking. I was restricted to iron heads and a single 4 bbl but could port and modify to my hearts content. Engine had to run for hours on 95 octane fuel. Cam was one of my own concoctions. When you stroke a 400 Mopar you kill the very thing that is its big advantage. So many miss that fact. It is a very potent piece in the right hands. Flywheel HP is right around 500hp (Not more then 510HP not less then 485 HP.) I used the 383 steel crank deburred and smoothed it for windage, hard chromed it so it would be indestructible. Used my drag racing experience to devise an bullet proof oiling system. Eagle supplied the stock length rods. Ross made the pistons to my requested comp ratio. Hastings supplied the race rings. When you send a race engine halfway around the world and know you won't be there to nurse it parts choice is critical. Cam was made for me in TO by an old friend now retired who made me several custom dealies over a 25 year span.
    don

volvobrynk and RichFox like this.
  29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm sorry you never got the Bonneville bug. I would have liked to see what you would come up with.

30. daliant

daliant

I like that russian GAZ 14 cross rammed V8.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014