Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

It's like my coupe in a way.....at first glance, you think there is so much to do under there when the truth is as a friend of mine reminds me, " Nothing major. All it needs is a bit of love here and there."

Denns1989 likes this.
  2. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

And if you look closely, it looks like it is safety wired...

Denns1989 likes this.
  3. How could this ever be boring?
    this is post #302 on this thread, tells tou something1
    I've been on here since 2011 and This post is in my personal top 10!

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Just read the whole story. Really made my day.
    Great story! Great car! Please keep posting the progress.

Denns1989 and Markmonty like this.
  5. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

You are very lucky. Keep the car original and maintain it. Make sure it stops good. Replace the tires. Get in that car and go for a coke. Welcome to our hobby. 1414386996748.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Hey What's up with Snoopy?
    This thread went dead!
    Any news?

Denns1989 and bigorangetruck like this.
  7. Ahhh-chooo !!!

Denns1989 likes this.
  8. ha ha - I'm still around & makin progress !!

When I got Snewpee 2 items were missing, the master cylinder & the keys... new master cylinder is sitting in a box so that's takin care of, previous owner thinks they have the keys somewhere but haven't produced them yet & I'm getting close to wanting to fire on it's own systems so onto Plan B... Local locksmith went through their blanks trying to find a blank that would fit into the cylinder, of course I had no idea what it was out of so that wasn't much help, they couldn't find a blank to fit, therefore couldn't cut a key... seeing I'm the fussy ass that I am about keeping Snewpee the way it was, I decided to do a Google search for "1950's" ignition switches, a few minutes later I had found my switch ! - later 50's AMC Rambler, then found a NOS switch with keys for $26 on Ebay - Perfect !

This past weekend I didn't have much time but I got the ignition switch installed, radiator back in, sending unit installed in fuel tank & made up new flex lines for either end of the hard fuel line & almost got all the battery terminations cleaned up... this weekend I hope to have a clean day to work on the car & want to get the rad hoses on, change oil, put some fuel in the tank and then.. maybe just maybe I will have a really cool video to post !!

WC145, Woogeroo, Atwater Mike and 3 others like this.
  9. slick31

slick31

Awesome story

10. Guess I can stop worrying!
    Thanks for the update!

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Great thread!!! I too look forward to updated postings.

Denns1989 likes this.
  12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am enjoying this whole story. What a great job hunting down the ignition switch...who would have thought Rambler??? Too cool!

Atwater Mike and Denns1989 like this.
  13. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Can we start weekend early this week or.......? Cant wait for this video! Exciting like christmas.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Denns1989 likes this.
  14. A little update to share... tonight I was helping the previous owner's son in-law with a few home improvement projects & the previous owner shows up to see what we were up to & then says "I have something I think you might get a kick out of" & then produces the two items below, she agreed to let me have them to get copy's made, obviously she wants to keep the originals, especially the sign board as her late husband was a sign guy & did this one himself !! Pretty pumped, I get a kick outta the history / story.

at Lake Superior...

scan0001.jpg
    must have made this up for car shows I would assume...

snewpee_board.JPG

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Those are amazing, you should have someone duplicate the sign for you with your name.

WC145 and Denns1989 like this.
  16. all4sho

all4sho
    from Byron,GA

thats a really awesome car, love the history

Denns1989 likes this.
  17. I agree !, ironically last week I was thinking to myself that once I hopefully get some photos from the original builder, I want to get a signboard made up with vintage photos & graphics... guess I know what colors & style I'm going to go with !
    It's neat to compare to the photo's & notice what has changed & what hasn't... the photo by the water would have to be 69 or 68 - the dent above the right rear tailight is already there, so that didn't happen in storage & the funny "shroud" that was over the fan/generator isn't present (and I have since removed) so that must have been added in it's last year or so on the road...

WC145 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Ca it be? I'm actually starting to dig the narrow white walls!
    In the Upstate NY area in the 60's the first thing you did
    was narrow whites, and baby moons!

19. ha ha - I didn't mind the narrow whitewalls one way or the other, but last night when I seen that photo I had the same feeling - "those white walls just seem right" & since they don't make bias ply look radials with narrow white walls yet, I guess I will be tracking down the road via every crack in the ashphalt with bias ply's! I just can't get past the typical radial tread pattern look especially on the exposed front tires... now just deciding on tire size but leaning towards exact the same this time around, I need more time to observe cars at shows to get a feel for different tire sizes, at least I know 670 x 15's will fit/work...

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. You will be limited in the front by the diameter that will fit
    under the cycle fender, and also the width of the tire.
    If that's a 6-70-15 on the front, it looks like it fits perfectly.
    The tire can't have a bigger diameter than the diameter of the
    lip of the fender.
    The rear might, just might, take a 7-10-15, but you will slightly
    disturb the level ride look that your car was definatetly designed for.
    Both these size tires are probably available from Coker Tire.
    The 6-70-15 was early 60's Vette, and the 7-10-15 was "normal"
    on 60's SS Impalas.

21. BTW I think I'm subcontiously getting some
    of your car's vibe. I put these tires and wheels on my
    car when I started following this thread.
    Notice my car now has no "rubber rake"!
    Wierd!
    Also notice, in the early 60's It was the "old Guys" that had the wide whites.
    Guess it's still that way!
    10658697_344524592387805_5710720908627584837_o.jpeg

WC145, Woogeroo, Grabea and 3 others like this.
  22. Gosh I like your car !! That's just purty ! & I like the way it sit's - Glad Snewpee was an influence !
    Snewpee has 670 x 15's all the way around, Coker has these, very close to what's on it now (no pie crust on the current tires) https://www.cokertire.com/u-s-royal-narrow-whitewall-3551.html these ones have a very detuned pie crust, I like pie crust but if I'm buying bias ply's might as well match up to what was there best I can.

23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Outstanding! Great find, so glad it's staying the same.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

SNEWPEE is soooooo cool.

"I need my mirror boy"

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Just read through this thread. Great story and well documented! Thanks:D

26. Squablow

Squablow

Those US Royal tires would be perfect, and judging from that new period pic, the tires have always been the same size front and back. Great job fixing but not changing anything so far.

27. Just got back in here, those tires are as close to the same as
    you can get.
    You might want to compare the listed diameter to what you have.
    you don't want a tire with a diameter less than you have now.
    A little bigger would be better, especially in the rear.
    These old flatties dont rev very high, and they are not happy
    at crusing speeds with 3:78 or 4:11 rear gears.
    Bigger diameter tires helps a little.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

That beach photo is fantastic!

29. Whew! Just found and finished the thread to this point and loved every second of reading. I'd like to think that I would take the same approach as you are with Snoopy If I were the lucky sort and had the opportunity. Good on ya for the care you are taking with her(?) and the way you are dealing with those who were involved with the coupe before you!

Now, because I have an opinion on everything.. I LOVE the pipes and would be awfully tempted to reproduce them; especially since you are retaining the appearance of the car the way it was - right down to the narrow whitewalls. Two cents spent.. ;)

Watching and enjoying.
    Dave

30. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

X2 on the pipes & WW's....re-build & secure underneath with two pencil tip's at the end.
    Every car Dad got back in the 50's & 60's he let me "customize" with full moon's and "glass pack duals" with chrome tips.
    Even went so far as 3" blocks on our '53' Stude Commander V8. (my driver training car, boy I was KOOL), I had the lowest car in the neighborhood. ;)

Keep up the GREAT work.

With respect..
    Bob

Denns1989 likes this.