Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saved from the clutches of doom - 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom Breezeway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rprice76, Mar 13, 2013.

1. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Crazy -

I hear you! I have "two houses." One I've been living in and leasing, the other I've been trying to sell for four years. Well it finally came down to "what the hell am I doing!?" Why pay for two? If the other isn't going to move, well, fix it up and move back. So since December I've been renovating and getting it ready to live in as it's been vacant for 5+ years (110 year old home in Bisbee Az).

So the Merc is stashed at a buddies place under a shed with the tranny tucked away in the trunk nice and dry. Hopefully this move will be done around end of March / April time frame and I can get back to the Merc in April / May. Any later and it's gonna get hot and then it's Monsoon season!

I have been searching Craigslist for other Moneterey's. They are few and far between. There is a decent 61 in Phoenix. Also saw a VERY nice 65 4dr Breezeway near Payson. Too new for me (or the Hamb if I am not correct).

I've also been thinking about my plans on the Merc once it's under power. I mean - what next? What look? What colors? The sultana white on sultana white is nice - for a sleeper. But dunno - trying to think out color combinations. I definately want to re-create the original interior for sure! That "All Vinyl Option" is awesome!

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

3. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

TheMerc i just ended up lucky to own this one. It all happened by accident but im glad i got it. It will be in my life for a verry verry long time. I plan to be driving it around this summer .

4. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Same here if life will ever stop intruding!

5. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

rprice76 life needs a pause button so we can both finish and admire our Monterey's.

6. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Same here. Wasn't even in the MARKET for one. It's the only 60's American Iron I own. I'm usualy a purist when it comes to antique cars, but this one I am definitely going to modify a tad.

I'd LOVE to the parts to modify this car to a manual floor shift. That S55 I passed on, well, I regret passing on it. The transmission, and the S55 interior would have been great for my car. Ive seen the videos of the old Galaxies and how they drive with the same engine / manual transmission, and it would have made this one a BLAST to drive.

AMEN! Unfortunately that's not how it works. I have a LOT of projects to work on (two Model T's, and a stock 63VW) but the Merc is at the top of the list to get running, and then get it the way I want!

7. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

So...got a call from my friend. He has another project coming in and needs room under his carport, so HE is going to try to get the transmission in with help from his son. Starting Monday after work my number 1 priority in life (aside from work) is to get the Merc back together and moving under its own power. Wish me luck!

8. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Sorry for not posting any updates recently. Spinal Stenosis (L4/L5) is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy, and at the tender age of 38, its something normally seen in much OLDER folks. I've been out of work for 6 weeks, and suffered for two months prior to that. Today was my first day back on the job with severe lifting restrictions (I work in IT so its not TOO big of a deal)

This weekend we're towing the Monterey over to a mechanic friend who is going to be able to finish the transmission install and patch up the intake oil leak. I really wish I could work on the old gal myself as I was hoping to be able to claim I did it all, but at least the rebuild was all me and my buddy!

Hopefully more pics in the next few weeks.

chstitans42 likes this.
  9. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

So no towing happened thanks to my freaking back. But I did get a call from my buddy where the car is at. "Man you know your Merc is really f*ing loud with the exhaust disconnected."

Turns out he's been tacking all the little jobs for me - points, condenser, coil, etc, and is ready to put the transmission in over the next few days with some help from his son. If he does this I don't owe him a six-pack I owe him two or three KEGS! Keep your fingers crossed folks.

10. Wow bud...that sucks. Only solution is a risky paralyzing operation or just put up with it.. No fun either way. I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope the car gets put together for you though. Good enough to just put an ass in the seat again. That'll put a smile on your face. Good luck man.

11. I'm one of those 'older folks' and if they're recommending surgery, do it. It won't get better and will likely get worse. It won't get you back to 100%, but at least when your back goes out after it'll be because you did something stupid. And do listen to any restrictions they put on; I had two friends that felt so good after they ignored those, and both needed additional surgery and ended up worse....

12. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Thanks guys for the words of advice and sympathy. I did have the surgery on Sept 8th, followed up by two more due to infections. It was confirmed that I am the youngest stenosis case they've had at their facility (38 yo). After they cleaned out the infections and got me stitched up, I started to feel better and returned to work last week. According to my doctor I'm lucky enough that I can expect to go through similar procedures every 20+ years or so as it's a congenital case. For some reason my body is building bone INSIDE L4/L5 spinal canal. The surgeries have gotten less invasive over the years, and though I am not in a LOT of pain, I can tell I have improved nerve sensation in my legs and that there is a lot of pain from the healing process (skin, muscle, bone, sinew etc). A few more months of special stretching exercising, taking my meds, and ensuring I don't over do it will see me right as rain. I can very easily bring ON pain. No "BLT's" for another two months (Bending, lifting, twisting). No matter what. As the doc said, if you drop a five dollar bill on the floor, and you can't get anyone to help get it for you - give it up. Or you're going to wish you had the next day. I learned that one today. Ouch.

On the Mercury, I went with my buddy for a shopping spree (parts to get everything buttoned back up). I directed a few items, we double checked the timing (he didn't know the FE was a counter clockwise engine) and we fired it up for the first time. As he said "it sure as hell didn't sound THAT good last night!" And he was right - that FE is LOUD. So he's going to keep plunking away at it. He has his kid helping him. I just wish I could get my hands MORE greasy and help out! lol.

13. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

So an aside note - one reason the Merc didn't fire is a lack of oil. PERIOD. The lifters were probably all flat. We added a few quarts to get everything to spin well and THEN it fired. So we still have a massive oil leak. My buddy and his son are on the case. I so wish I could be with them tho,,,,

14. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

So we're busy confirming the engine runs. I've been out for the count due to back surgery but my co-worker has been just this side of awesome. New points, condenser, cap, rotor, coil - etc. We found the fuel pump was shot. New one for $40 buck and if I recall right it ran for him today. YES!

I can't life, twist, or bend or anything physical at ALL. Or I get yelled at and fall down in pain. SOOOOO....I'm sidelined watching people have all the fun. Hopefully in the next few weeks the Merc will be back on the road. I hope so. If not - we some type of conversion wil be in order. I hear C-6's are nice.

15. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

So some new meds, and I'm a new man. It's amazing what NSAIDS will do for inflamation. I could NOT take them before due to the infection (it would cause the infection to stop healing). So hopefully I will get some time in on this or the Edsel.

16. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

So a fairly quick reply. We haven't had the mercury running - well - in an age. Probably about 2 years. Well my coworker replaced the points, condenser, cap, wires, plugs, and fuel pump and we gave her a try. Nothing. Checked fuel - 1/2 tank of gas (stabile used in it previously). Well after a LOT of tinkering we found that the fuel pump we put on was bad from the factory. As a test we used a spare Electric pump and damn if she didn't fire off and run.

It was rough at first as the lifters pumped up - but all of a sudden she smoothed to a nice clean idle. WOW. So - the Bell housing is in, along with the Torque Converter. We have some adjustments to make to the transmission but it may go in soon.

I also did a lot of investigating and found the oil leak. Oil pan back half leaks - BAD. Nothing is coming from the intake - it's good. So while I'm relieved about that - the oil pan will be a pain to fix. Doable but a pain. It was GREAT to hear her rumble again. We had the exhaust disconnected. WOW - do straight headers sound good - but we may need a tad of backflow there....lol.

17. barstowpo

barstowpo

Hopefully the rear pan leak is not really a rear main seal leak. They can look really similar. The one thing I hate about these engines (I have 6 I think) is the rear main seals.

18. RetroJoe

RetroJoe

Greetings from yet another 63' Breezeway owner! I have a two door hardtop and will post pictures later. I have enjoyed this thread! I am in need of new door locks and trunk lock if anyone has a lead.

19. barstowpo

barstowpo

Door locks are easy. Galaxie ones fit and they are available from any of the Ford Vendors. The trunk is a little more difficult.

20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Would love to know what became of this project. Any updates?