Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Looking forward to some updates David!!

2. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I just took a look back through the thread and most of the photos are still missing. I hope that it is a case of it all being sorted out slowly. I have not moved any of the photos I posted so the links should still work. Most were posted using Photobucket.

3. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

can't wait for the new updates.

Nocero likes this.
  4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I finally managed to get a chance to work on my T. I managed to fit the hinges and hinge brackets along with the door catches to my inner door frames. I will post some photo soon.

I had my wheels sandblasted and they are in primer now..

Most of my photos are still missing but they are in albums on the forum so hopefully they will show up again. Ryan said he is trying to fix the problem. I 're-linked one photo and it came up. I can't do that for every photo!.

David

5. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

A few photos to begin bringing this up to date although with most of my photos missing it seems a bit pointless.
    Had my wheels sandblased, they were all in pretty good condition. I have a little dent on one that I will knock out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put them in etch primer- one step closer...

[​IMG]

I made the brackets for mounting the door hinges a while ago and I recently got round to putting them in the door frames, I think these should have been one piece but I have never seen a door apart and did not realise until I had this made. I am sure it will be fine. I simply stitch welded them in place no-one will see this once the skins go on...

[​IMG]

and the other hinge...

[​IMG]

I did both doors at the same time of course. This is the only view anyone will ever get of this once it is all together...

[​IMG]

More soon..

David

sko_ford and patmanta like this.
  6. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

hinges turned out perfect! My doors will be cut open shortly so I can see what the stock arrangement really was.

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

When you do could you post a photo please. I am not going to change this now but I would be interested to see. I copied what I could see, then it struck me that the hinges on the earlier cars were one piece and the idea may have been carried through.

David

8. sammy76

sammy76

Hi Dave, no updates for a while. Have you moved to another thread? Or have I missed something. As a newby ive been very interested in your progress. Cheers

9. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

As promised, here is a pic of the bracket. I haven't cut it out yet, but from what I can see its just wedged in there. The support is provided with a press fit into the beads.

They are one piece per hinge on mine (2 per door), which are the later 27 versions to my knowledge (and similar to what you are replicating, large holes with more details)

I think your method is better and more robust than what Henry did.

27_roadster_door_hinge_support.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  10. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Most of my photos in this thread disappeared when the site was upgraded. I have just posted the photos back into the first three pages of this thread and I will gradually post the rest over the next week or two so I can then bring the thread up to date.

David

sko_ford and Jimmy B like this.
  12. Dave Walker

Dave Walker

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who appreciates the work you are doing to restore your thread. A fabulous project. Thank you.

sko_ford likes this.
  13. OFT

OFT

I too would like to thank you for going thru the effort to restore photos. Your work is something that is a benefit to all.

Earl

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys. It feels a bit pointless posting updates with most of the photos from earlier missing.
    It's a bit strange, if I click on the placeholder where the photo should be a link opens, all the photos are in my albums (even though they were originally posted via photobucket) however the links don't work. It's not just my photos it's the same all over the site. Lots of good info will have been lost unless the links can be made to work.

David

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't give up David, we still look forward to progress reports and updates.

16. dos zetas

dos zetas

It's far from pointless- i think your posts and photos are the most valuable sheet metal information on the HAMB, and I look forward to each additional one.

17. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Agreed!

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  19. I think most of us have experienced the frustration of lost photo's since the new version of the Hamb but you can go back and update them although it does take a considerable amount of time. HRP

20. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I have re-posted the photos in the first nine or ten pages of this thread so I am about half way through restoring it.

David

patmanta likes this.
  21. OFT

OFT

Thank you for going the "extra mile" to re-post the photo's.
    Earl

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I am still updating the lost photos in this thread but I thought I would post an update.

Anyone that has been following this thread will know that I have been building my T body with information that I got from wherever I could because I did not have a body to copy. Well my mate Glen who has been helping me all through this build has decided it's time to recreate his first hot rod and has bought the '27 T body below. We went and picked it up from Norfolk in my van thursday evening. I will have this at my workshop for a while so I can copy what I need from it. This will make things a lot easier for me.

I have made the bun panels now (almost anyway) so I have made all the outer panels for the main part of the body. I have still got quite a bit to do though especially on the turtle deck and having this will be a great help. Thank you Glen!.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    patmanta and sko_ford like this.
  23. Hi David, I enjoy your posts and it is the first page I look for in my subscribed threads. I find that this new format lousy, as so much data from many posts have been lost, from not only your page, but many others as well, as i enjoy your work and concise explanations. I look forward to your next CD tutorial and look forward to more posts as you get time.

24. Ah Glen. The customer nobody can afford.

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the kind words :) I am glad you liked the DVD. I should have some news about another one soon.

David

That's not nice Phil, he is not my customer in any case.

26. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is an update for now and I will try and post more photos back in the thread later.

I have made my bun panels. I did this before I had the body above here. I could have made them in one piece but I only had some very rotten original bun panels with the bottom missing and decided that making them in two pieces would be the best option as this would allow me to fine tune the alignment between the lower part and the upper part on the new body.

I made a pair of these..
    [​IMG]

Then made a pair of sections for the area that joins to the turtle deck panel using my buck as a pattern.

[​IMG]

More soon...

David

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

This is a photo of the bun panel I was working from.

[​IMG]

David

sko_ford likes this.
  28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Liked I said I opted to make these in two sections because I did not have a proper patern for the complete thing and in doing it this way I could use the old bun panel as a pattern/ buck for the top part and the turtle deck buck for the bottom piece and to align everything.

Here are the two parts clamped together.

[​IMG]

David

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    sko_ford likes this.
  29. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Once this was trimmed I tacked them together.

[​IMG]

Then welded fully...

[​IMG]

David

30. louisb

louisb

Inspiring work as always. Glad to see this project is moving along.

--louis