Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Starter solenoid wiring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bantam, Nov 2, 2014.

1. bantam

bantam

Hi guys -

Wiring up my 32 rpu to fire it for the first time. Has an SBC in it. Here's a pic of the starter solenoid. Can someone please confirm for me which terminal/post is which on this solenoid?

Post at 6 o'clock position - gets hot from battery with a fusible link in the wire, correct?

Post at 12 o'clock - run to ignition switch or coil?

Terminal at 3 o'clock - run to ignition switch or coil?
    image.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bantam

2. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

See if these help.

Attached Files:

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like battery to 12 Oclock and switch to 3 Oclock.

4. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

The post at 6 o'clock has that big cable on it that runs to the field windings of the starter. Connecting the battery there will bypass the solenoid and run the starter constantly. The heavy terminal at 12 o'clock is where the battery cable connects, in turn, the fusable links run from that same terminal to supply +12 to the rest of the car. The small terminal at 3 o'clock receives its' power from the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is turned to the crank position, the small terminal gets powered, that's the primary side of the solenoid. Powering the primary side of the solenoid causes the slug in the solenoid to "pull in" which in addition to engaging the starter drive into the flywheel also internally connects the two large terminals, routing power to the starter motor.

loudbang likes this.

5. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Most solenoids are marked with an I and S on the post, but I don't see any marks in the photo you attached. Anyway, thing Igreat40 has it.

6. bantam

bantam

Thanks for the info, guys. Correct, no markings on solenoid makes it tough for a wiring novice like me.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

One post should have continunity to ground that one gos the switch.

8. squirrel

squirrel

where did you get that weird starter? it's not the one that we all know how to connect...

9. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

Are you running points ??

10. bantam

bantam

Squirrel - starter came with the project when I bought it. Appeared brand new so I'd like to use it, but agree it's weird.

Brokedick - running a Mallory mechanical advance breakerless distributor. (Requires a ballast resistor). Anything I need to consider since not using points?

Bantam

11. squirrel

squirrel

If it was mine....I'd put a normal chevy starter on it. And either some other type of breakerless ignition, or a point type ignition.

on the Mallory, make damn sure you have a good ground for the ground wire on the distributor.

12. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The starter field wire is on the wrong terminal, it should be on the terminal at 12:00 with the soldered terminal at the base, right now its on the solenoid battery terminal. The starter is a Hitachi high torque starter. The switch wire is at 3:00.

13. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

No problem, but google Mallory breakerless distributor wiring and check out all the wiring for systems. The starter looks like the one Tommy Johnson sold that had a adjustable mounting plate to set up for header clearance (I have one on my V8 Vega with headers) there should be 2 or 3 allen head screws you take out to rotate the mounting plate. Does that starter have a nose (Chevy style) or flat with a pinion gear ? If it's flat mounting plate check the clearance from the flywheel face to pinion Should be .030 to .060 if I remember right. Go to Summit look up Proform mini starter instructions, here they are http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/pro-66256_gear_reduction_starter.pdf