Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Time to start on my 51 Merc after 20 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by low51fan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. low51fan

low51fan

merc 1.jpg

merc 2.jpg

merc 3.jpg

merc 4.jpg

I have owned this car since 1994 when I bought it in Rapid City S.D. we have hauled it to Kansas City, Northern Michigan and many other cities over the years. We now live in Wyoming and with my watching and reading the H.A.M.B. for a while now and a neighbor who has volunteered his help it is time. The body is fairly solid except the rockers, trunk pan and floors. I have cut out the passenger side rockers along with some of the rusted areas and am in the process of making some repair pcs. now. I will post some more pics when a little more progress is made my plan is to have the floors and rockers replaced by the end of this year. I will be using the original frame and finding a flathead, lowering it down and keeping it unchopped. I want to thank everyone on the H.A.M.B. for the inspiration to get me started.

51 mercules likes this.
  2. 1940merc

1940merc
    from colorado

About time! There's nothing cooler than a merc

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

20 years!I don't feel so bad!LOL!.good luck & thanks for posting.I'll be watching this thread.

4. low51fan

low51fan

A few other cars bought rebuilt and sold in that time also, kept my 69 Camaro and the 51 Merc. I will say the Merc will be my most challenging but should be the most fun.

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

“Procrastinate now, don't put it off.”

6. low51fan

low51fan

funny stuff motoandy

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Wow....that is a long time to wait, but good for you.
    I like your ideas on not chopping and keeping it a flat head..
    Good luck, and keep us in the loop !

8. desotot

desotot

Hey , this is serious stuff, you can't just rush into it. :]

9. low51fan

low51fan

yeah yeah bring it on. I was starting to be accused of being the guy who holds on to an old car and says someday..........

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good for you, will follow your thread. John

11. Awesome! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

12. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome... I'll be here cheering you on.

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

20 years?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!? :eek:

14. theorydo

theorydo
    from london

There's nothing cooler than a merc[​IMG]

15. fleet-master

fleet-master

you know Dick Megujorac(Magoo) said he coulda built 3 roadsters in the time it took him to build one custom Merc!! ...or was that 4? :D;)

Mercs sure are cool though! :)

16. Jim J

Jim J

Nice. will keep my on this one. (having recently awoken my '50 from a similar sized slumber)

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Better late than never,good luck with the project!

18. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Took me 9 years ,on and off on my "49"

19. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

First thing to do is strip everything off of it & get it to bare metal thats a hell of an incentive because then it doesnt like like a beat up ol car

20. low51fan

low51fan

thanks everyone for the comments as I said earlier I have started to cut on the passenger side a bit. I have taken off the outer rocker and cut out the inner. If you follow the A pillar down to where it connects to the inner rocker I am having to cut that up a bit and replace the bottom 4 inches. The bottom of the B pillar that is underneath the outer rock is pretty much gone also. I have been talking to Matt Townsend on this part and I think he can fab that part for me. I have a little rust to cut out in the rear wheel well also where it connected to the floor and seat pan.
    I am hoping to have some of this cut and fabricated this weekend and will post some progress pics.

21. If I needed patch panels again I'd only go with Matt. Best quality, usually has about 7-8 Mercs in his shop, knows these cars like the back of his hand.

My buddy locally had to fabricate my tail pan below the bumper and charged double what Matt is quoting.

22. low51fan

low51fan

Pro Stock John I agree, I am standing in line for front pans and a couple other pieces from Matt right now.

23. low51fan

low51fan

Cut out the rear wheel well rusted areas this morning pounded and shaped the new metal for about an hour. Still a fair amount of forming and tweaking to do and I should be able to tack it in place. I don't think I did too bad considering I just have a 5" vice a grinder and a few body hammers? I bought a Miller 211 for welding and have been practicing a bit with it.

Attached Files:

24. I'd say that's in the ball park. Good job!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. low51fan

low51fan

Hello to all! Summer is over and the Merc is looking like it needs attantion again. I spent the summer gathering parts thanks to Matt Townsend I am very close to installing the new rockers and floors. I am looking for input on how others have installed the floor to rockers. The original floor pans came down at a 90 degree angle and were spot welded to the inside of the rockers. I have a floor pan out of a donor car and could probably repair the rusted out areas enough to make it look original. Is this worth the time and effort or would it be ore feasable to make a back cover plate for the new rockers and weld that to the new floor pans? I have tried to look into this in a few other threads but have not found this exact subject matter. I have attached 2 pics trying to show my question.

Attached Files:

26. Sarbie

Sarbie

How far have you got with your rocker replacement. I am doing my own ones at the moment. they seem to be as rusted if not worse than your ones. It took me a while to unpick it all and figure out how it was supposed to look.

27. low51fan

low51fan

I have been working on mine for a while now and understand what you mean. It seemed like everytime I started in an area of rust it led to another area that was worse. It finally came to an end but I had taken off the outer rocker, inner rocker, cut part of the rear wheel inner fender out, cut into the lower A pillar, had athe bottom of the B pillar fabbed, scrounged around for a year or so to find a good rear seat pan and had Matt T. make me a set of floor pans. My inner rockers were totally shot so I went to Green Mtn and bought a nice set. I am fabbing the front A pillar bottom area right now and plan to have this complete by next weekend. Lots of time on my part trying to figure out what sequence to do the process in as this is my first attempt going this far into the process.
    I am really enjoying this and have learned a lot on this project including patience.

28. Slopok

Slopok

After waiting all those years has givin you plenty of time to decide what direction to go with your Merc and in some ways you probably benefitted. Parts availability and web sites such as the Hamb didn't exist nor did guys like Matt were far and few between. Also styles have changed, some of the cars from the 80's & 90's are a testament to that. Hope that you stay put long enough to finish your car this time and lookin forward to the progress of your build. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.;)

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

RE: "Lots of time on my part trying to figure out what sequence to do the process in as this is my first attempt going this far into the process." Doing one side at a time on my Merc I first cross braced the door opening and the distance between the A and B pillars so they wouldn't move when I cut out the inner rockers since they control the door opening width and door gap.Then I repaired the bottom of the A and B pillars on one side of the car.. Then I tack welded the inner rocker in place and checked the fit of the outer rocker. Then I finish welded in the inner rocker on one side of the car. Then I did the same on the other side of the car. Then I welded in the outer rockers. Then I welded in the floors. I am sure others can offer differing ideas as to sequence as my Merc is a convertible. Repairs were made with the doors removed but the cross bracing was done with the doors installed.. I bought all my repair sheet metal pieces from Green Mountain in 1996. Hope this helps. I wish you all the best with your Merc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  30. low51fan

low51fan

No doubt time has enabled me to have a better built project in the end. I have been collecting parts for this since I got it in the early 90's.
    Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.