Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Power Steering on "51 Ford car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Albert Lee, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Albert Lee

Albert Lee

Hi folks, I'm new here and have a 51 Ford that already has a 302 & C-4. I am adding AC, Power Disc brakes, and Power Steering. I already have the AC & brakes covered, but I,m not sure about the Steering. I have ordered (from e-bay) a kit to install a Volvo steering box. Kit has steering gear, pitman arm and adapter plate to bolt frame, but no instructions. Does anyone know if it is kind of straight-forward installation or am in for a big surprise?

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

traditional 51 Ford hotrods dont have power steering

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Volvo power steering boxes have been a popular swap into Shoebox Fords. I expect your kit will permit bolting the box in place and connecting the drag link. You will need to modify or replace your steering column to couple to the Volvo steering box.
    The Ford steering shaft is one piece from inside the box up to the steering wheel. It will have to be cut off and a bearing installed in the bottom of column tube and a rag joint/u-joint on the shaft.
    Or, replace the column with a more modern unit already set up for a coupler.
    Also, of course, you will need a suitable power steering pump, pump brackets, hoses and belt to drive the pump.

Ray

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. Zerk

Zerk

I think the donors for box and pump are getting kind of rare: probably 1971-1974 model 142-144-145 with power steering option, and 1970 or 1971-1975 model 164. I don't know if the 1800 sports model ever had PS.
    Every Volvo newer than 1975 is power rack, everything older is manual steering. There has to be a better way.

5. My grandmother got her first car with power steering when she was 80 years old.

She could handle the manual steering, so have we all gotten wimpier than a 79 year old Czech grandmother??

Built right, manual steering has a lot going for it over power. IMHO.

But that's just me. Hell, I still hand crank my own windows...

Cosmo

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I agree. These cars are not hard to steer in the first place, even when parallel parking.

7. Albert Lee

Albert Lee

Thanks Guys. I have received the Volvo steering box and kit. Now, my question has been answered. It will work with the flat head engine but not with the 302 engine. It doesn't clear the motor mount. So back to e-bay, this time to sell.

8. CHOP36

CHOP36

Did You look into Borgeson they have a lot of power steering boxes ,In my 36 ford it had a mustang box we put a borgeson ps box made for mustang in .The box is a late model Nissan box reto fitted to mounts ,It steers great ,If You want any more info let me know

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If you want to do your own fab work I have a stock used trooper box which is what borgenson uses for their core for a lot of their conversions..pm me if interested..

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Is it not feasible to use a different motor mount configuration?

Ray

11. Rathbone

Rathbone

The factory steering box is sloppy and wears out quickly. The Idler Arm and everything else wears quickly. The shoe box Ford had their first independent suspension, and it's far from perfect, so I don't blame anybody for trying to make it better.