Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech Q for all you brainiacs Cadillac rear discs to 5 stud chevy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judder_man, Oct 31, 2014.

1. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I have Cadillac Saville town car rear axle from I think a 77?? It has rear discs but Caddy 5 stud I want it chevy smaller 5 stud pcd if possible? Is there a chevy rear disc and hub that will straight swap out?

thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

Chevys were drum brake. Similar rear was used in late 70s to 1981 Camaro, with disc brakes. small bolt pattern.

I don't know if the rear end width was the same.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Cadillac Seville in '77 for sure, and maybe '78, were the 4 3/4" bolt pattern.
    The '79 was 5" bolt circle. So, if you do indeed have a '77, you should already have
    4 3/4" bolt pattern.

All that aside, the Seville disc brake calipers have a poor reputation for the parking
    brake assembly.
    You probably could adapt a different rear caliper and keep the rotors though.

I have a '79 Seville rear axle and I put 10" s-10 drum brakes on it for simplicities sake
    and because the axle was going into a '54 GMC 1/2 ton pickup and didn't need the
    extra braking capacity anyway. I simple redrilled the drums to 5" bolt circle.

On the front, I adapted '79 Seville rotors and big GM calipers to the MMII
    spindles, giving me big brakes and 5" pattern there too.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. Hunt down rottenlenard here and order an axle re drill jig. For 100.00, about an hours time and a set of studs your troubles will be behind you.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hnstray be Heeded! I managed a brake & wheel shop for a couple of years here, and our least favorite was the Caddy disc rear caliper! Initial settings were not 'repair-friendly', and to service the parking brake (helically threaded pistons in caliper!) was time-consuming and frustrating.

6. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I think you mean 4 3/4 not 5 3/4

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

yeah....I just realized that a few moments ago and corrected it... :oops:

brain malfunction.........increasingly common....:D

Ray

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seville brackets and calipers are the same as 79 - 81 Trans Am. Use T/A rotors, which come with 4-3/4 BP. Might need a spacer ring to match the hub diameter on the axle flange. The parking brake is problematic in areas with heavy winter + salt usage. Down here in Texas, I've never had a problem. YMMV Parking brake is retracted for pad replacement with a tool, looks like a 1" cube with various pins on it. Available at any NAPA

9. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

It could be a 79. I've had it a while I forget. It was the first one with the olds engine with single point injection. Defo 5stud p.c.d greater in size than regular Chevy/jag
    Looking at the hub it does not look possible/easy to re drill

Thanks for the advise so far.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If it is a '79.....it's also a very tall gearing.....about 2.28 to 1. The '79 only had that
    rear end and the Turbo 400 trans had the Commercial/RV planetary set with a
    2.75 first gear vs the 2.48 1st gear found on almost all other T400's.

If you can use that tall a gear, well, great, but just wanted you to be aware of it.

Ray

11. deucemac

deucemac

I did this swap on a '55 Chevy truck I built a few years ago. I used Nova axles of the same length ( forgot the year but figuring out the length is not brain surgery) and I used '79-'81 Trans Am rear discs. It all bolted together with a 4 3/4 bolt circle and worked perfect plus since it was all factory parts, replacements are available everywhere.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If that Seville rear end is like the 76 Seville rear I have sitting out in my parts stash it has a big flange to connect the driveshaft to rather than the normal Chevy style yoke for a U joint to be fastened into.
    After a bit of research on O'Reilly's website it seems that only 76 Sevilles had 5 on 4-3/4 with drum rear brakes while 77 and up had disk rear with 5 on 5 bolt pattern. My education for the day.

13. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks for that Ray. I'm intending to build a cruiser that can tow a caravan. Tho those gears maybe too tall for my engine choice I will have to have a think about that issue.

14. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Some great info guys thanks. It is the big flange instead of usual yoke style connection on the diff luckily I have the matching prop. Either way I will be using this axle at some point so big thanks for the info on the discs.