Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trust miles-how do you handle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50desotocoupe, Oct 30, 2014.

1. squirrel

squirrel

tools won't do a lot of good if you don't have spare parts...so bring some baling wire.

Chili Phil and saltflats like this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You've reached the second best thing about restoring building cars. Of course for me it is building as number one. But the thrill and excitement of actually using and driving your dream/reality project is number 2.
    The first few miles is a testament to your ability. Keeping it on the road for years is the final testament.
    AAA helps. :)

3. stimpy

stimpy

as a heavy mechanic , its a trip or 2 around the block to check it out , then off we go . If I wouldn't trust my work I be walking , have to have self confidence in doing your work otherwise you should ship it out .

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You're worried about driving it 25 miles from home? Our shake down run for the Diamond T was to the muffler shop, then we hitched the trailer to it and drove 250 miles to go camping, then a 4000 mile trip pulling the big Spartan trailer. Have some confidence in your work, carry a cell phone and a credit card! You've already driven it that far, get in it and drive!

5. ridenlow559

ridenlow559

Can't think about breaking down. Makes it ten times worse when it does happen. Just go and enjoy the drive. Your only going 50 miles. When you work up to the long haul just be prepared with AAA in the case it can't be fixed. Take some tools, belts etc. And drive with friends who will stop and help you out until it's back on the road or on the back of a rig. Be nice to have a car that made it to every show, cruise and long drives with no problems. But that's part of having and building these things. The joy you get out of fixing and customizing them with you own hands.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had some friends that had an old coupe they thought was unreliable ,so they sold it to an unsuspecting buyer but he didn't know it was supposed to be unreliable , now he has done 4000 trouble free miles.

clem and kiwijeff like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

25 miles??? really, 25 miles?

just go.

8. Traveling with buddies and bringing a few tools, a sturdy tow cord, some jumpers, a can of Fix-A-Flat and my AAA Plus card has bailed me out of many an on the road issue.
    A gas can and a jug of coolant also for the long trips
    A cell phone is the best tool we can all carry. Duct tape is a good thing too.
    Days after any break down I've been involved in we always get a good chuckle out of the experience.
    It's all part of the learning curve of hot rodding.

9. It's all part of the adventure! Make sure it's safe, which it sounds like it is, then jump in and go. I'm making a 4 hour trip Saturday on my newly rebuilt 4 speed. It might have 50 or 60 trouble free miles on so why not? I have tools, AAA, and friends if I get in trouble. This will be the long shake down run before the Turkey Run trip to Florida.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drive that Desoto. Hell, you can walk 25 miles in six hours or less.

About 20 years ago I bought a 1937 Buick from a fellow in eastern Missouri, The car hadn't been run for nearly 20 years. Trailered it home, re-gasketed the pan and rocker arm cover, new hoses, belts, rebuilt brakes and master cylinder, flushed the radiator, freed up the stuck clutch, had the gas tank boiled out, put a new diapraghm in the fuel pump, checked the lights, fired it up, drove it to the gas station to fill it, 5-mile trip to the grocery store for road snacks, then me and two buddies headed out from Shawnee, KS to Tulsa for a shits and giggles road trip. Zero issues, 500+ miles on a maiden voyage, 6-volt battery and generator doing their thing all the way there and back.

11. oldsman41

oldsman41

drive it like you stole it. really though the guys i know ussually get together to go on trips of 200 miles or so. 25 miles isnt much and if it breaks put it on a flat bed triple AAA.

12. Tony

Tony

Kinda hard to add anything more than whats been said already really....just get in a drive.
    I was at one point leery of going any real distances with the stuff i built...but with some good egging by close friends i got behind the wheel now and drive.
    The shakedown run for my 6-71 blown 32 was a 220 mile round trip to the Syracuse nats, alone..no problems and a great ride!!
    My 52 Chevy truck has been a daily for the most part since i finished it aside from the past couple years with other projects ive finished.
    It has over 40k on it now and has NEVER left me stranded. One time i headed to the Showdown in Pa, 300 miles from my driveway (its done that 600 miles trip many times now), by myself with nothing more than my tool bag, cell phone and AAA card in case a repair is too big.
    I normally roll with a great group of guys so when and if something does happen, we all do what needs to be done to get back rolling...and shit does happen.
    It becomes part of the journey.
    So go out and have fun!! Wont take long for you to want to just keep driving.

Tony

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It took me a few "test drives", before I felt confident enough to go for the distance. The 3 things I carried then, are what I carry now. A collection of tools, a spare belt, friends phone numbers and my AAA card.

25 miles? I don't count anything less than 75 miles a cruise. Just go for it.

14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Trust gained by use, 25 miles is nothing really. Or 50 for that matter. Gotta start sometime and cell phones make it easy or caravan with someone.

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Incoming Pictures 032.jpg 50 miles I am driving this 55 Chevy to AZ from wash next weet for Good Guys in Scottsdale why have them if you cant drive them

Attached Files:

16. Couple of weeks ago saw a newer BMW along I-40 being loaded on the back of a AAA. Sh** happens.

17. Interesting thread.
    I got my Hudson on the road two years ago, and drivin it daily since then, rain hail or shine.
    Had total confidence in it, and recently put a finned coil cover on, and did new coil, plugs, points, condenser and leads. Left it outside work in the rain all arvo, and drowned it.
    Now my confidence is not so good on the wet days, and I live on the edge of a rain Forrest, so it rains a lot.
    I say just drive it, if it breaks, fix it. All part of the hobby.

18. with old cars the number 1 thing that has caused roadside break downs has been rust/crap in the tank. nothing worse than a full tank of fuel, a mechanically good running engine and no way to connect the two.
    Tank clean= go for it.

19. I keep tb33anda3rd's phone number handy:rolleyes:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trust miles for me have been once around the block. Then I pack a tool box and take my cell phone. Bombs away.

21. Last year, my O/T but fairly old van, I just put ball joints and tie rod ends in it, fixed a bunch of other little stuff, and took off from New York to North Carolina, then South Carolina, and back, put like 2500 miles on it in a week.

This year, I have a new to me and still older van, fixed a few more things, it still needs a thermostat but that's an involved pain in the ass to change, put 300 miles on it last Sunday and drove it out of state at that. No problems other than crappy mileage. I just carry tools and some more obvious spare parts. Which, now that I'm on my third very similar vehicle, I have a lot of spares.

22. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

I thought I was the only one that silently freaked out about test miles. I built my car from the ground up, the whole chassis and suspension is hand built. I've got quarter elliptic springs and I worried about one of them breaking. Well after two years of driving the car every chance I get, I pretty much trust it I also know what to watch and what road conditions it doesn't like. I've had a few issues, running the trans out of grease, and a couple of no starts after getting caught in the rain. No big deal. I built it I can fix it. I drove it for a week as my daily driver this fall cold and all. Drive it, enjoy it, fluids and a phone and a roll of tools and some friends, coast to coast is within reach!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Be a man! I rolled my old 33 ford pickup out of the garage to see if I got the box on straight...with 3, 5/16ths bolts. Hmm, looked pretty straight so I thru a few wires on it to see if the old generator would charge...yup! It did. Aired up the bias plies and drove it on a car-tote for the pull down to Kansas City for the 1st annual HAMB Speed and power meet. Duct taped a cardboard floor and firewall in it and proceeded to drive that sucker [with T-man and Janglehead] over a hundred miles around the K.C. area with a pair of fingernail clippers and a toothpick for tools and had to loan my prize toothpick to Chris Nelson to fix his headlight wiring. My 14 gage electrical wire throttle linkage broke in downtown K.C. but after T-man and my brother pushed me outta traffic, I scored a used hunk of old original 33interior.jpg 33atspeed.jpg wire from under the frame and "replaced" my throttle linkage in the dark.
    What a blast!
    Go on your shakedown cruise with q few tools and a hunk-a-wire.

24. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Due to some bad weather and other conflicts during the week before, I had only driven my car 5 miles (gas station and back) when I took off on a 600 mile run to OKC. It did blow oil all of the way there and thanks to Roothawg, I was able to swap the pan before we headed home, but we did 1200 miles in 3 days with no issues that weren't easily fixed.

Get in the seat and drive that thing!!

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

First hot rod I ever built was a from the ground up to a driver. Built the frame from scratch, installed everything, did my own wiring harness, well, you get the picture. 1st trip out of the garage went around the block. Second trip went 10 miles home, then 10 miles back to the shop. Third trip out of the garage, 500 miles, one way. It was my wife, me, a few hand tools and our stuff for the weekend, before cell phones, and traveling by ourselves. There were a few stops on that 500 miles to fix a few glitches, but the return trip was flawless. We put 13,000 mile on that car that first summer, between the end of May and the end of Sept.

If your concerned, put the car on jack stands and check everything. Fix anything that might need attention, then drive it. Gene

26. fatkoop

fatkoop

There are SO MANY guys going to, returning from, or at the Golden Cruise that would help you if you got into a jam, it's a no-brainer. Don't be afraid to drive 'em!

27. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

25 miles? You really asked this question? I took off from San Diego on a Harley that I had just done the cam and top end on. Ended up in Tahoe the next morning. Where is your sense of adventure man? Get out and live a little.

28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Essentially I agree with everybody urging you to make the trip.

One more thing I would do is take a short ride before you go and do a full blown PANIC STOP! Better to learn of issues that way than when that deer or woman pushing that baby carriage darts out in front of you.

tb33anda3rd and rustynewyorker like this.
  29. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Get in and go! Take tools, a AAA membership card, and some phone numbers of people you can call if things go south. Its all part and parcel of having a classic.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'Round the block, once.