Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Flat head and 3 speed question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtmopar, Oct 30, 2014.

1. vtmopar

vtmopar
    from Vermont

Hello,
    I am looking at buying a 24 stud 8BA with a 3 speed transmission ( stamped I8 357400)
    I would like to use this in my 46' ford coupe project but I know nothing about Flat heads or that era drivetrains.
    I was hoping you guys could tell me if this is a good combo to use.
    I will be using a 57' Tbird 9".
    thank you.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

i am not a flathead guy and never was. But as I remember in '49 when they came out with the 8BA and CM they changed the bell housing and transmission. Since you are going to a '57 Tbird 9 inch? the open drive is what you want. Seems like a lot of rear end for a flat head.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I would be looking for a 3 speed out of a 49-53 F1 truck since you're talking open driveline with that 9" there.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes it is a good combo. But unless you plan on making it a floor shift be sure you get the side mounted shifter linkage on your 3 speed. This will enable you to hook right up to your column shift. Provisions will have to be made on your driveshaft for an updated rear end. Why not just install another 46 rear? It would be a direct hookup.
    Next question. If its a used engine what have you done to be sure its a good one?

patmanta likes this.

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

@Petejoe makes a great point. I just assumed you wanted to go floor shift. You should be able to pick up a side shift transmission for a third what a toploader will run you in my experience with prices in New England. He's also wise in suggesting you use a stock rear.

6. vtmopar

vtmopar
    from Vermont

Yes I didn't mention floor shift.

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

no 1 unless you go with a pretty low gear a straight 3 is going to need a warmed up motor for short more horsepower. im running a stock 51 merc in my merc but i run a 3spd od 4.27 rear gear its still has good pickup for a very heavy car with a 112hp motor. what this all boils down to is be very diligent on engine trans and rear end sizes and tire size also. this will give you the biggest bang for the least buck. flatty parts are expensive.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Am i wrong? Isn't an 8BA indicative of a 49 through 53 Ford passenger car V8 engine? I had a 49 and my brother had one and the kid next door had one. Just a used car at that time. They all were column shift cars. And all open drive. Just what the OP is asking about. So what is the top shift side shift linkage question about?

9. vtmopar

vtmopar
    from Vermont

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

yes Rich you are correct 8BA is the 49-53 Ford car and truck engine. I don't know the transmission serial numbers vtmopar provided. I just wanted to point out there are two transmissions that will fit his engine and stress the importance of being sure it is the one designed for the column shift. That transmission has side mounted shift linkages.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That's a litural crap shoot. That tranny will only work on floor shift. Just because an engine turns over freely doesn't make it a good engine. Could be cracked or have ring or valve problems.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK. That looks like a 49-53 Ford engine with a floor shift Ford type of transmission. That transmission bolts into your 46, I believe. And it looks to be the open drive pickup type. If you have the original '46 trans maybe you can swap parts to convert it to torque tube and use your original rear end. Or use the OEM column shift trans. If you have any of this stuff. Yes it's a crap shoot. It always will be unless you buy a crate motor. And then maybe still a gamble

13. vtmopar

vtmopar
    from Vermont

It is chance seller will take less, I have a 302/C4 but a flathead would nice.

14. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Suggest you post your question on the FordBarn--lots of flathead expertise there.

15. flthd31

flthd31

There is a slight difference in the length of the rear bearing retainer (mount) between car and truck as shown in the pic. That engine, tranny combo is a nice setup, but it will not drop right in to your '46 ford coupe without some X member modification and conversion to open drive.
    As mentioned, that's a open drive truck tranny. Also interesting is that the motor has a Merc timing cover and Merc water pumps...wonder if it could have a Merc crank in it...

tranny mount_004.JPG

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pumps look to be wide belt so if they are Merc pumps they are early Merc pumps but the mounting tab placement on the pumps look to be different than Merc pumps. My guess is they are 8rt truck pumps but I could be wrong. The intake appears Ford not Merc and the hogshead appears cast as on a truck not stamped steel like a Merc. My guess would be no 4 inch crank but possibly an 11 inch flywheel (won't fit inside a stamped steel Merc hogshead)

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pumps look to be wide belt so if they are Merc pumps they are early Merc pumps but the mounting tab placement on the pumps look to be different than Merc pumps. My guess is they are 8rt truck pumps but I could be wrong. The intake appears Ford not Merc and the hogshead appears cast as on a truck not stamped steel like a Merc. My guess would be no 4 inch crank but possibly an 11 inch flywheel (won't fit inside a stamped steel Merc hogshead)

18. flatjack

flatjack

Judging from the pan and water pumps, that is a truck engine with an early trans installed. Looks like the trans was modified for open drive. As far as price, the cheaper, the better. See if you can get a guarantee that it is good. It sounds like you have a later rear installed, in which case I would look at installing a later OD trans.