Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *oldsboy*_T-sedan build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Looks great and I love the amount of the chop!

Speaking of body modifications...it'd be a lot of work but it would be neat to see the rear wheel well recurved to match the tire.

Posted using the Full Hot Rod H.A.M.B. App

2. Sorry for the loss of your Dad. I am really luvin' the way this build is turning out. Post War perfect!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok it's been a month you've got to have done something other than build a deck ;) let's see it!

4. oldsboy

oldsboy

You are right sir. I'm working on finishing up a few things this week. I'll update soon. Dash is coming along and I think a motor might be on its way after this weekend!

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Enticing!

6. olskool34

olskool34

That side profile shot is just righteous!

7. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Ehem...Ryan? Would you like to share with the class what happened over the weekend?

8. oldsboy

oldsboy

Last night with thanks to lowtruck and my brother I was able to get the flathead going, and I have to say it is one great feeling. See and hearing your first engine take off and operate well is just something else. Below are a few videos of the car. We broke the cam in and were able to idle it down and this is the result. I haven't been around flatheads much until the last couple of years but, I think I like the way this one turned out.

Unfortunately we did run into some trouble with the timing light. I don't know if its because of the magneto or what but, two timing lights were tried and each of them quit working within about 10 seconds of use with the motor running. One was out of the box brand new. So if anyone can help with an explanation I'd be very interested.

Anyway, I'm still overly excited to hear it run and see what I've been waiting to hear for all these years.

Lake pipes open.

Lake pipes closed and full straight pipes

More to come in the next few weeks, just trying to figure out where to go next...

Shadow Creek, brEad, KCsledz and 2 others like this.
  9. chaddilac

chaddilac

10. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn bitchin build.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yes sir.... I like it. I like it alot. Congrats.

12. OFT

OFT

Nice, Congrats on getting it running.
    If memory serves correct, mag's take a special timing setup. The mag will toast a normal timing light .
    Earl

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. sodakmini

sodakmini

Damn, maybe i need to move to Omaha.... seems like a ton of rodders there.. much better than here in South Dakota.... Just read the whole thread.. really dig it.. great work

14. Humpty

Humpty

Any updates oldsboy? This creation of yours is totally where I'm heading with mine... So looking forward to the next instalment.

15. oldsboy

oldsboy

Its been awhile since I've posted so here's a quick update. Not a whole lot of froward progress. I've been working on massaging the whole car, cleaning up and trying to put a bow on a few things while tweaking others. One big thing that had always bothered me was the stance. When I installed the motor the weight of the engine dropped the stance and the car had a pretty flat stance.....

Initially I had built a spacer to go between the spring and the rear cross-member and didn't really like the idea of the frame riding on something besides the spring. So I decided to swap the A cross-member out for a Model T cross-member, raising the rear of the car and eliminating the spacer AND clearance the body from the tires!!!

The swap ended up raising the rear about 5 inches and gave me the stance I was looking for....

[​IMG]
    original setup....

[​IMG]
    model T cross-member...

[​IMG]
    model T (moustache) modified cross-member....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the new stance....

[​IMG]
    plus you can see that little quick poking out now!!!

Now this opened up a whole mess of issues. I had to make engine spacers to raise the front of the motor due to the raise in the rear, modify my exhaust because the engine went up...and so on. But its now all ironed back out and the body is back off the chassis for some last minute metal work....

Here's a peak at the firewall...again with the engine moving around the firewall needed a bit of clearance and straightening. Apparently it was pretty mangled. Its amazing how much tensions is housed inside stamped firewalls....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really didn't want to recess the firewall, but sometimes you don't really have alternatives. That being the case I tried to take some cues from the original firewall design and use similar aesthetics to carve out the recess. I'ts also been shortened in the center area to clearance the transmission about 2 inches...something you can't really perceive as well as having another 2 inches added in to raise it to meet the cowl. Wayyyy to much metal work to go into a model T.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  16. I love this car so much!

17. Anderson

Anderson

I love the new stance!

Posted using the Full Hot Rod H.A.M.B. App

18. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

That stance is killer!

19. Nice work, I love to see quality craftsmanship

20. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks Fellas, I'm pushing hard to have this getting down the road this year....we'll see what shakes out. Finished up the cowl last night and looking to get it back on this weekend.

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The stance is spot-on! I'm also in the middle of recessing the firewall too.. Fun times. :rolleyes:

22. oldsboy

oldsboy

Haha yeah tell me about it....it's amazing how much of a time suck they can be.

23. daddylama

daddylama

that firewall looks excellent! really dig the moustache crossmember, too :)

24. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Amazing work dude. Perfect stance, nice details, clever trick with the crossmember/spring mount!

25. n847

n847

Awesome work on the stance & the firewall!

26. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

That firewall came out really nice. To bad nobody will ever get to see that rear cross member it's very villain-esque. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422134304.518489.jpg

Atwater Mike, brEad and daddio211 like this.
  27. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Man, that was a long damn time ago.

28. oldsboy

oldsboy

Tell me about it, out goes the long hair in comes the gray hair...I need to get this thing done.

29. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Flattie sounds great! Firewall looks great,excellent thread

30. oldsboy

oldsboy

Just a quick update of the weekend progress....

I was able to finally, comfortably, put a bow around the firewall, cowl, dash and windshield! It's amazing how much work can go into something that seems so simple. I remember being terrified about putting the front end together as it was all over the place, out of square, missing pieces and then with raising the cowl....re-engineering was required.

In the end I couldn't be happier with the fit. The windshield works without any hang ups and everything seems square and tight. A lot of work ended up going into it, a lot of work not many will see or realize, but in the end It'll make me sleep better at night.

Here's a refresher where it started...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The header was all screwed up and out of square. I also took out another 1/2" out of the header to gain a little more windshield height. Now the header with the windshield has the same line as the door tops. Another proportion that was a little funny on T's.

and as of right now...the header was also welded in....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    brass fasteners really bring it all together and make things pop.....

[​IMG]

I also was able to come across some decent plates, a pair even.... getting closer to getting this on the road!