Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Roadster Accident on 5frwy this morning!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Sep 26, 2014.

1. trollst

trollst

Lots of opinions here, fact is, one of us is badly hurt in a wreck, we all feel the pain. Its scary to think that we, as old car fanatics, might die in our cars, but the love for the ride overpowers our sense of doom. As for the seatbelt issue, in 1972 I crashed a Vauxhall viva into a kenworth head on, my fault, just a kid, thankfully in the split second it all happened in, the door flew open and I was ejected. I wasn't wearing the lap belt the car came with, and I wasn't hurt, thank god. However, I'll be sixty in april, I'm still here and have worn a seat belt every trip I've made in a vehicle since then. We can speculate all we like, but all I have to say is that I hope the boy recovers fully and continues in the hot rod madness we call a hobby.

2. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Any recent news on the young man's condition - cause of accident?

3. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

For those who missed the link. Here is the text:
    -
    Friends, my name is Richard Medina and I want to talk to you about my buddy Javier Martinez.

I am privileged to say he is not only one my best friends, but also one of the best people I know. He is quick to lend a helping hand or a laugh with his easy going sense of humor and care-free personality. After high school, he worked hard to become a paramedic and hustled harder to become an LA fire fighter, where he began saving lives all through out LA County. Javier loves classic cars, Elvis, Harry Potter, and Glee... shamelessly... and we all love him for it.

On Friday morning Sept. 26, Javi's classic Ford roadster lost a wheel and careened into the center divider, ejecting Javier far from the vehicle as it exploded into flames. Javier was quickly rushed to the hospital in critical condition. The news article about the wreck can be found here. (http://photos.dailynews.com/2014/09...adster-burns-in-5-freeway-crash-in-burbank/#1)

Looking at that accident, it is nothing short of a miracle that Javier is still with us.

Javier and his family needs all of our love and support during his recovery and any financial gift offered can only further aid alleviate the burdens of this difficult time.

Javier chose to be a fireman because he wanted to help people and now he needs us to help him.

Please, let's do our part to save a real hero.

Best wishes to the Martinez and Esparza family.

4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Gods Speed Javier for you and your family!

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

This is 2 weeks old and at that time Javier was still in a coma,anyone know his current condition?

6. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

7. Looking forward for some good news on Javier's recovery. JW

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Wishing the best to Javier and family.Prayers sent.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, updates, please, if anyone has them...

10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I hope the young man is doing well.

11. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

I'm surprised we have not heard from one of his friends as to how he is doing.

Here is a link from Page 6 of this thread to a site for financial support - I made a contribution about three weeks ago and received a "thank you" note from the site, but it does not include anything about his condition. I hope he is mending well!

http://www.gofundme.com/AHeroNamedJavier

12. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I just spent almost an hour going through the 1000+ Facebook accounts for guys with "Javier Martinez" as all or part of their name and I couldn't find his account. If someone has an update on how he's doing please post it here....

13. jim galli

jim galli

I've been to So. Cal. 2 times since July pulling a car trailer. I grew up a few miles from where this happened. Anytime I'm in So. Cal. I get off the 5 at Western and get a sandwich at the Oakie's on Victory.

Here's what upsets me, and remember, I grew up there and am not a stranger. You folks who live there and pay gas taxes at the pump year after year are getting hosed. The condition of the freeways all over So Cal is untenable. It's not less than a disgrace. When I have to come down from Nevada to L. A. I grit my teeth until I'm either past Mojave or Victorville going home, depending which road I'm on. It's a miracle any of you that live in that pit survive.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

No updates on gofundme either.

15. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

It's hard to believe hear on the H.A.M.B that there is No Family nor Friends or A Fellow Rodder's of His , To give a more Recent up date on his condition!!!!

By the way , it was reported that he lost a wheel?? As in the wheel came off ,
    Broken axel with wheel or
    He lost a Tire .

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  16. Pecos Bill's, not Oakies

17. jim galli

jim galli

Our nickname, fondly, for 44 years.

18. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Only info I ever see is on the "fireman family foundation" facebook page,last update oct 10 says he was still in critical care at holly cross hospital. Hope for the best.

19. mjcat

mjcat

I work for same F.D. As Javier, I haven't heard any news lately on his condition. I will try and see what I can find out next time back at work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

daddio211 likes this.
  20. ^^^ Thanks for that , hangin out for good news. JW

21. Okie pork or Okie beef. I could never decide so I usually got one of each. Haven't been there in 10 years, or so. I stopped by last year, but they were closing. 5 minutes too late:(

22. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Thanks mjcat waiting for the update hope it's all GOOD NEWS!

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Like everyone else, I hope and pray for a complete recovery for Javier.
    But I also hope somebody out in his neighborhood, will take the time and trouble to do a little research into what caused this terrible accident. Lots of us with dropped axles would like to know more on that. Myself? I am driving a roadster that I bought as a rolling chassis that the previous owner had purchased as such from Brookville, who had commissioned out the chassis to a well known big name hot rod shop who used an axle from another well known hot rod axle manufacturer. After years of all this old man could muster in energy, I at last got it drivable and reasonably presentable and have driven the hell outta it for almost a year now.
    Somewhere in the m,iddle of this build, I discovered I had a cast axle, a Magnum, that was made before the ones cast in China that are supposedly the ones giving problems. But I'm still concerned about it.
    I'm sure that others are in the same situation, plus those simply having inquiring minds, would like to hear an answer to the question I have:
    Did the axle break before the collision witth the wall and cause the wreck? Or did the axle break on impact with the wall?
    A great service to all HAMBERS if someone out there could get and post some info on that.

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

No intent to get in a pissing match with you, but you say we should be concerned with victim and the cause. And I agree wholeheartedly, but isn't knowing if, how, and when the axle broke a big part of finding the cause?
    Your profile says no hot rods just now, maybe if you had one that had an axle that was of a brand associated with broken axles?

25. His post wasn't directed at you...it was directed toward one I deleted that brought back up things we don't discuss here.

Carry on (without the pissing match)

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx for the clarification G White.

27. No sweat man, my apologies...confusion was my fault.

Carry on!

28. I should have quoted the post that I found troublesome instead of using the "Up Arrows". I also deleted my post.
    Keep yer socks on, DOM:D

29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

They are hosting a fundraising pancake breakfast for Javier on Nov 23 in Granada Hills CA. fireman-breakfast.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  30. ChefMike

ChefMike

I hope they made it and if they did there extreamly lucky . I hope they were lucky