Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds 371 on Engine Stand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Dad, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

Any concerns or issues with hanging one of these leviathans on an engine stand using only the four UPPER bell housing bolt locations?

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have not done a 371, but lots of olds engines including 455's and they hang just fine. Gary

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No problem whatsoever. I too was worried recently about putting my 394 on a regular stand, that longish bellhousing seems like it might be strained, but I spoke with Tony at Ross Racing and he said "Hang it just like a small block Chevy." And he was right.

I can't remember, but aren't two of the bolt holes sort of low on the bell housing area ?
    Don

I just pulled up this picture of my engine, and you are right, the bolt holes are kinda near the top, but those are the ones to use.

[​IMG]

belair likes this.
  4. CGkidd

CGkidd

I have done it with the crossover in place and with out it in place.

5. aaggie

aaggie

I hope your engine stand is not a three leg type. They tip over in a heartbeat.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Yeah you definately need a real sturdy stand

7. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

Thanks folks - as long as I'm not going to snap off the bell housing.

8. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I've cut a chunk of 2x4 and wedged in under the crank snout and down to the engine stand. Just a little bit to take the weight of the back end.

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

With the large cast-in gussets I see between the block and integrated bell housing, I don't think you need to worry about that. Gorgeous engine!

- EM

10. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Had my brothers 324 on a good engine stand as we assembled it had no issues at all but that engine is heavy! Be careful moving it around.

11. onthefritz

onthefritz

I am currently rebuilding a 324. I have it bolted from the only 4 bell housing bosses available no problems. It is a Matco 4 leg 1250lb stand and have had no issues thus far. I did slide a jackstand for piece of mind under the front motor mount once it was a complete long block.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. onthefritz

onthefritz

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414632834.305397.jpg

13. onthefritz

onthefritz

Sorry wrong discussion.

14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I use the front housing off a Olds hydramatic on my 303s and 324s.Bolt to the engine stand plate and then that to the engine block.Nothing is hanging out on flatbar and tubing brackets.Flat contact everywhere.

15. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

Hung it on the stand last night by the 4 upper housing bolt holes - used Grade 8 bolts / washers. It was still defying gravity this morning so I'll call it a win!

16. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

17. papajohn

papajohn

My buddy's 371 has been on a stand for about a year now. No problem.

18. stimpy

stimpy

like someone mentioned , on the long nose heavy motors I put a brace on the front of the motor to help give it a little help when its sitting . nothing like the sick crunch of a motor falling . I had one ( Ford 534 truck engine ) fall . it didn't pull the bolts out of the bell house , but one of the arms failed and twisted causing the others to fail .

19. I have a 394 on an engine stand, complete as pulled form the car so it is full weight. Since I have the front motor mount still on the engine, I use a 4x4 between that and the engine stand front. However I can't rotate the engine with this in the support position. Without the support it does sag more, but has not had any problems, although it certainly seems shaky!

20. I have helped my kid hang a couple on his stand, using the lower section of the bell. Seems much more secure. Supported the nose and removed the lower bell to install the crank, then
    reinstalled for the balance of the assembly. Definitely need to use a "real" engine stand, tho.
    IMG_2404.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  21. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

It is a little bouncy - and right now it's just a short block. I think once I start surgery I'll definitely take the advice and prop up the end with a piece of lumber.

Funny that I've noticed in the pictures in this thread that the 394s seem to have those cast-in gussets at the top of the upper housing, while my 324 and my 371 don't - everything else looks similar though. Did they add that for the '59 371s (baby 394s) or in '61 with the actual 394s?

22. CGkidd

CGkidd

I think they started them in 59. I know my 58 block didn't have them.

23. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

well fuck me sideways on a snowy sunday....

took the 2x4 out to spin the motor upside down to removed the oil pan and heard a noise I didn't like...cracked the upper bell housing at the bolt boss....FUCK ME IMG_20141102_171654 (Medium).jpg

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Son of a bitch. That has never happened to me and I've had more of those engines on stands than I can count..

25. Dave50

Dave50

because you used to long of a bolt look at the bolt it appears to be binding on the top of bell that sucks use the proper length bolts looks to be a 1/2 inch to long

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

This going in the sedan in your avatar?
    If the crack does not travel towards the bell you may be ok once it's all buttoned up and you are using the stock mounts..

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn I am with Paul. I have never had this happen crazy. You could also drill a small hole at the end of the crack to make sure you get no more growth. Then with a stock adapter you shouldn't have any problems.

28. onthefritz

onthefritz

Cast iron can be welded if it is preheated first. Any good machine shop should be able to do this for you.

29. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I was so careful...Dave - the bolt isn't binding - there's room all around it - it didn't crack until I rotated it and the weight shifted - heard it go - unbelievable!

Yes Paul, this is going into the 2 door sedan avatar car - reached out already to a professional welder I know - hopefully he can do some surgery. On a good note, things look good inside - rods are all numbered so it's obviously been taken apart before I came along IMG_20141102_193800 (Medium).jpg

30. CGkidd

CGkidd