Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The LeGrange Produce Tribute Truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 1, 2014.

1. LOL. Well, you should have plopped your butt into my truck and tried it out. Dunno how much different the seating room is between a '40 and a '36 is, but I think that the seat risers are about the same.

When I cut the plywood base I wound up putting 3 holes in it, like a stock seat base, and keep it in the middle one, so I can have the seat leaned back a little. It sets my shoulders back farther, and allowing more room than the stock seat, but robs me of a little leg room. Not that big of a deal for me, since I am only 5'10", on a good day, but then you are quite a bit taller than me.

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Wow. Great build. I am saving this post as I plan to make a hitch for my 46 Chevy Coupe & your method should work well for me. Will keep an eye on your build as it progresses. I have a crossmember just rearward of my gas tank & am thinking of welding a triangular plate to the end of reciever tube & bolting/welding to that crossmember & adding a piece of angle just behind my rear bumper and attaching the reciever there there with a bumper bolt. I won't have much hitch weight so it should not be hard to build one that will work well. Will soon begin work on a small teardrop camper that will use matching wide whitewalls & wheels same as on the Coupe. I just bought 3 new 6 lug 16"X 6" wheels for 750R16 rear tires so I have the spare 600/16 wheels & Bias tires off the coupe. Just have to order trailer hubs to match these wheels. Got to decide whether to stain & clearcoat wood or paint to match the car. Deisions, decisions. Either should look good. Jimmie

3. OK Root,you got me interested.

I absolutely love the idea of re-creating a family work horse,,keep that camera handy! HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Neat, neat, neat! The idea of honoring the family business is beyond awesome! I love that sort of thing, as so few people take the time to even know what the Family was up to a few generations ago, let alone care. I too have wanted one of these trucks forever, and at one time had most of the bits and pieces to put one together. The friend that originally owned the cab begged for it back, and in a week moment I gave in. Cool thing is, 15 years later that cab is down at ElPolacko's playhouse, and cool stuff will commence soon! Any way, I'll be watching this one man!

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

So we decided to try something new. I have been doing some research on different rust primers etc. and so this truck is going to be a test bed to try several different things. The first is Rustoleum's rust primer. I have found that it shares the same base components as some of the other name brand "Rust Preventers" according to the MSDS sheets.
    [​IMG]
    The best thing it is $8 qt. at Wally World.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The finish is a semi gloss and it lays down pretty smooth overall. It's good for interior stuff I suppose. This build is a budget build and I have to keep that in mind. As bad as I wanted to spray a high end primer and color inside, I have to refrain from this becoming a full on restoration. It needs to be drivable and affordable.
    [​IMG]
    Eventually I will spray the inside of the cab with a bed liner type material for sound deadening purposes.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is the one I have been telling you about that you will be louvering the hood on , Mr.Louvers.

need louvers ? and volvobrynk like this.
  7. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Love your truck( hell I love all trucks!)....and it's really nice you got your son involved.....hard dirty work builds good character!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Every once in a while he gets dirty in the shop, but he's an inside kid. He's studying to be a computer software engineer, so he doesn't have to work where it's hot and loud…….

9. Great job! And keep that kid earning his tuition! He will feel so much better about college and by helping you it's a great way to pay it back and have a blast as well.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I always hated those poly bushings that everyone sells for the front ends, so I started researching to see if there was anything better out there. That's when I stumbled across these on Limework's website.
    [​IMG]
    These were made from "Oilite" stock. They should hold up way better. They were cheap enough. I paid $25 for 8 bushings. That not much more than those el cheapo nylon bushings and they will live 10 times longer. Here is the link if you would like to order a set. http://limeworkspeedshop.com
    I always like to give credit when I buy something that is a good quality product. Everything I have ever gotten from Limeworks has been top shelf.

[​IMG]
    Nice and tight. Should be a vast improvement.
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy and kiwijeff like this.
  11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

lovin this thread. go man, go!

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I try to finish 2 or 3 things every time I go out to the shop. I figured this would be an easy one, so I had the tires mounted up. I wait for Summit to run free shipping for orders and then I order my heavy stuff. I ordered 2 ea 15"x6" and 2 ea 15"x7" Wheel Vintiques. I am planning on running 40 Ford caps.

I picked up a color chart from my local aircraft paint supplier. They had a color that is called Cadet Tan. It's a single stage, polyurethane. I'm going to use the same color on the top and the other accents.
    15" tires are getting hard to find. I wanted WWW, but I plan on driving this daily and I found these online for about $50 each. I think they are pretty standard on Volkswagen Bugs. It is a 165 85 R15, if memory serves.
    [​IMG]
    I'll try and get more done in the future, but I am kinda slow.

mgtstumpy and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Having been in the retail/wholesale paint business most of my life I sold & used many gallons of Rustoleum red primer..it's a great product.

I used it in the wagon. HRP

[​IMG]

15. That's the same size tire that I am running on the front of the '40 coupe, although I went with a 5" wide American TTO. I'd have used the same on the stake truck, but since I didn't put a dropped axle under it, I needed something taller to fill the space.

16. Very cool. I just bought a pair of 35 and 36 pickups. I have a feeling this build will make me keep one.

I haven't done it, but I've thought about using my grandpa's post war business name/number etc on my 51 gmc. Still up in the air on mine though.
    Thanks for posting Root.

Posted using my chicken and 2 cigs

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I had a little time after church today, so I figured I would stab the center section. I started last night, but the pumpkin was hitting the housing. It's a 1957 Ford, small bearing housing. I had to grind some reliefs in the housing flange. It's not a lot of material, but it was enough to make the difference.
    IMG_1171.JPG
    I have been hanging on to this center section for 25 years. I picked it up long before Craigslist or Ebay. It was removed from a 1983ish Ford F150 and replaced with taller gears to pull his boat. It's a single track only, so I have been waiting for a non-performance application like this tribute truck. It's a 3.50:1 ratio, which should work out pretty well with a 29" tall tire.

I'm not a huge fan of Harbor Freight, but these types of things come in handy. I couldn't get the part number from the local incompetent parts counter guys, so I just bought a whole box to be used on just about anything. There's just enough in the kit to do a 9" with one to spare.
    image_15873.jpg
    This all seems pretty trivial, but progress is progress.
    rsz_img_1174.jpg
    I still have to press off the axle bearings and change the seals and try and figure out the right brake drums. I bought a set of Maverick backing plates off of an 8" that fit right up and should make finding the ever elusive 57 drums a thing of the past. I just have to figure out what fits them now.
    IMG_1175.jpg

mgtstumpy, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Looking good Chris. Let's race to see which one of us can get our projects done first.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. I look forward to watching this go together! Neat truck!

Roothawg likes this.
  20. CGkidd

CGkidd

looking awesome. I will be watching this one

Roothawg likes this.
  21. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

If you can send me the picture of the 3 guys with the Produce...I'd be glad to do a sketch up for you......it would be printed in vinyl......send me the picture and what you want lettered on the doors....I'll play with [email protected]

Roothawg likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Tannergang. I'm not sure exactly what I want yet. I'm thinking of a vintage basket with fruits and veggies sticking out. I am still toying with the idea.

23. desotot

desotot

Cool project, looks good already.

24. A cornucopia horn of fruit would be a cool image. Look that up

25. That's gonna' be nice man. I like when "detail" builds arise....even when the owners insists they are not. So tidy already. Look forward to some more....please.

Roothawg likes this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Curbspeed, I hear ya. I have been researching those as well. I got a thousand ideas swarming in my head.

Thanks KidCambell. I appreciate the props.

27. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

just did this one........ 20141001_132920_resized.jpg

28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Your build is looking great!

Roothawg likes this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it is nice to see a guy take some old truck parts and build an old truck out of them rather than a cartoon that looks more like a T-bucket than an old truck.:)

30. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Subscribed! How did I miss this? Oh yeah, the new format..... Would like to see more on the seat base and how it came out. HOH