Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Favorite car books from when you were young

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KMINAF, Feb 7, 2012.

1. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is Street Rod by Henry Gregor Felsen. Holly Felsen Welch has reissued Hot Rod and is now working on the reissue of Street Rod. If all goes well, Holly plans on reissuing the other four car books written by her dad; Rag Top, Road Rocket, Crash Club & Fever Heat.

2. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when my two brothers and i were young. our mother always read us a story from a childcraft (i think) book. called susie stockcar. sounds hokey. but it was better than ice cream. after that it was nothing but my uncles 'hot rod books'. and maybe a playboy or two.

3. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

Hello, my first post. Great site!
    Was that the car that had copper plated bumpers ,and it crashed into bridge, ending up in the water at the end?

4. Motor's Repair Manual, 1955. It had the 1952 Henry J flathead 4 and 1953 Willys F-head 6 overhaul procedures, and diagrams and photos of flathead fords and the 265 Chevy engines, plus early hemis, caddies and olds engines. I was reading it over and over again from 8 years old, and when I turned 15 got to overhaul my Dad's Willys.

Also, I read all the Felson novels, and Hot Rod Magazine's Engines paperback. Still have that one.

5. "Goodbye!" :D

Steve

6. damnfingers

damnfingers

Another "The Red Car" and anything by H.G. Felsen.
    Gawd, those were good books and fun times to be growing up in!

7. a family friend gave me the old standard catalog of cars from 1946-1976 when i was about ten.. it ruined me for life, i became a car junky!

8. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

Boy gets car was the best for me I still remember the story line 40 years later. How about The blue Man. It was about a kid in a Huson Hornet chasing a man with blue tinted skin. Anybody remember it?

9. boxcar children they found treasure at the dump,,second hand or ?... easy to trace my problems of today directly to that series of books

10. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Close Calls by Don Garlits

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a 3 yr old daughter, I work that into the rotation every third night or so. I keep hoping all those generic fenderless hot rods will take hold at some point. I always make a point of saying "look how fast they are going! ZOOM!" Well, she IS 3.

12. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

I found one of the novels by William Campbell Gault up on my bookshelf. Drag Strip. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414499929.384984.jpg

13. finn

finn

I bet that I checked out "T Model Tommy" from the local public library a couple of dozen times in the early 60s.

It was reprinted a few years ago, so my wife get me a copy , which I read a couple more times, 50 years later.

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

How "young" is "young" "? In a kids book, "On the Drag Strip".
    Why...because there's a picture of a car, and I'm in the picture from Lions Drag strip in the early 70's.

Mike

15. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

How 'bout "Stock Car Racer" by Caary Jackson? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414513454.466707.jpg

16. Rockettruck

Rockettruck

Thanks for bringing back memories! This was one of my favorite books, especially with the shocking ending!

Street Rod book.jpg