Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 plymouth cranbrook

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fracmechanic, Oct 27, 2014.

1. fracmechanic

fracmechanic

Hey guys , I'm New to the site. I recently picked up a 51 Plymouth with the flat head 6. It supposedly ran when it was parked that was , judging by the foul gas in the tank , atleast a few years. The engine is not seized , as I have moved the crank slightly in both directions. I pulled the plugs and noticed a slight coating of rust on the under side. So I have treated all cylinders with sea foam deep creep hoping to eliminate any rust that may have formed and to protect the rings.

I have been a mechanic for many years mostly late model stuff and industrial / oilfield equipment. This little engine is just foreign to me and I want to take all necessary precautions before trying to start it. Are there any tips or tricks to these old engines or are they as straight forward as they look

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. kunzer51

kunzer51
    from elkhorn wi

Sounds like your on the right track. I would let the seafoam sit in it for a wile then put fresh oil in it fire it then let it run for a wile then change the oil out again.

turboroadster likes this.
  3. fracmechanic

fracmechanic

One clarification on 6volt positive ground systems. With a component indicating a + and- will the + connect to the frame and the - connect back to the batt .

4. northjersey_pinstriping

northjersey_pinstriping
    from New Jersey

Where's rob barbarino ??? If you wanna know about Plymouth flat6 motors he's your man do doubt about that.

5. 73RR

73RR

You should also check in at this site for Mopar L6 info: www.p15-d24.com

..."components" do not always care about polarity, what is the item?

6. fracmechanic

fracmechanic

Components such as the ignition coil , horn, blower motors etc. i know the positive on the batt will hook to the frame , so my thinking was any wire marked + would connect to frame ground and any wire marked - would loom back to the negative post on the battery . It's just backwards from what I've always done. But I can understand the concept. I've got a service manual on the way, but there is no substitution for first hand experience

7. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

Yes, it is backwards from what you have done with negative-ground systems. So the hot wire to each component will be negative and the ground side will be positive. The hot wire to the coil will go to the - side and the wire to the distributor will come from the + side, et cetera.

8. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

PS - Since you are new to these cars ... you do know the left lug bolts have left-hand threads, right?

9. fracmechanic

fracmechanic

I have heard rumor of the left handed lug nuts but the car had new tires , brakes etc so I've had no need to remove the wheels, but I will defiantly keep that in mind

10. 58prostreet

58prostreet

Like 73RR said. There is a wealth of information on the www.p15d24.com site.

11. Years ago I bought a very clean '51 Plymouth 2 door coupe from a little ol lady (true). When I put it up on the hoist to check around underneath, found it had wide whites turned around to the inside. Flipped them around, added lancer hupcaps,pinstriped it and drove it for two years, loved that car and regret selling it. They are nice cars and look kool with just some mild kustom touches.

12. fracmechanic

fracmechanic

Well it runs, needs carb cleaned and tune up. But it doesn't smoke, or knock. And has 40lbs oil pressure at idle

13. kevin hardwick

kevin hardwick

take the plugs out and fill it full of oil, Turn it over several times then drain and start.

14. Old post,,,,,it was running a year and a half ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,