Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How to restore photos and programs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chester Merc, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Chester Merc

Chester Merc

I'm looking for advice to restore my photos and race programs from the 40s & 50s. My basement flooded a while back and it water logged my collection. Some of my friends and their cars were pitctured, most who have passed.

I tried to dry them but the pictures have molded over and the programs are stuck togther.

Chess

2. passngas

passngas

Sorry to hear about the damage. An art restoration expert might be able to help but it will cost $$$.

Pics from the 40s and 50s, any famous names?

3. I am far from an expert but I think you could soak the photos in water, peel them apart and then dry them. No thoughts on the programs.

Charlie Stephens

4. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try your local library they might be able to help out with some advise

5. toml24

toml24

If the emulsion is damaged and coming off there is very little you can do. However, if the photos are simply curled they can be saved to some extent. A process I have tried and succeeded in doing is ironing the photos. I use a good quality Black & Decker iron on the steam setting. Get a good sized wood block. Place a bath towel over the wood block. Place the photo upside down over the bath towel. Place another bath towel over the photo. CAREFULLY apply the iron. NEVER hold the iron still in one place. It's OK to turn over the photo and iron the emulsion side. carefully. If you use common sense, logic and reason the process will work. I did this to hundreds of 8 X 10 photos from the 1950's and it works. Just remember YOU CAN GO TOO FAR! The more you do this process you will learn the art of saving ruined photos.

6. You could also convert them to digital by having them scanned and repair them using photo manipulation software such as Adobe Photoshop.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Excellent idea. Also try google and maybe post a question on a "Photo Forum", such as http://www.photoforum.com Get a plan before you start and go slow as it is easy to do more damage.

Charlie Stephens

8. oldolds

oldolds

Microwave the programs. Sometimes that works with books to unstick them. Not sure about photos.

9. Chester Merc

Chester Merc

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I never thought about using a mircowave. I guess you're never too old to learn.

The pictures were of my friends like Pappy Evans. I had pictures of Pappy wrenching on cars. He was a very nice man.

Chess

10. Chester Merc

Chester Merc

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I never thought about using a mircowave. I guess you're never too old to learn.

The pictures were of my friends like Pappy Evans. I had pictures of Pappy wrenching on cars. He was a very nice man.

Chess