Register now to get rid of these ads!

weathering paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41chev, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Cshabang

Cshabang

haha, ok...maybe krylon is the exception.....hahahaha....I've never buffed spray bomb...so maybe it works differently....hahahahaha..

2. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

I have a 30 y/o earl schieb paint job, chalky, paint chips, runs and all - I love it. When I fitted skirts I just painted them acrylic on a cold day and waxed them after without polishing. Fits right in.

3. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I've never buffed krylon before.The whole deal was fun.
    My neighbors think I'm nuts.
    I told one I would "age" his mini-van for him.

4. hivolt76528

hivolt76528

Never tried this before but I would think if the care was more or less primed and prepped in the proper way , wet sanded and all , then buy the cheap "trailer paint" they sell at lets just say Tractor Supply . I would not use any hardner , a little flatner to kill the shine , thin it with at least twice the normal reducer , spray it very thin and deliberately miss areas and thicker on some , yet still with the thinned paint . Careful and using several coats wher you need them like on the sides and very thin on the corners and normal wear areas . then a week or so after the drying , rub it down with the scotchbrite - first a red pad , then later with a finer gray pad you'll blend the paint and primer so it will actually look more worn that painted that way . To top it all off ship the car here to Texas from June through August , we can bake it a month in this sunshine :D and you should get some really oxidization to finish it all off !! With no hardner in the paint oxidization sets in very quickly , especially on the cheap paint

5. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

This was my truck, and we(mostly my wife) did it.

It wasn't supposed to look like it was sitting in a field for 30 years. I wasn't going for genuine rust.
    It was supposed to look like a farmer, or a old handyman had brush painted it several times over the years and it just wore.
    Simple as that.

Like it or not, I don't care. I'm glad Ed is going a different route with it now. I plan on doing another one very similar.

6. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Do what you like with your car, but a fake patina isn't for me. I just painted my truck with gloss black 2 years ago, and the paint was so bad, it's halfway to satin by now.

7. DRD57

DRD57

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

9. I agree that most cars with faux-tina look more like movie props or copies of old, rusty cars. BUT DRD57's trunk lid turned out great, and carried over the character of the existing condition of the car's finish. Really well-done fake-tina paint jobs are still fake. If that's what you want, do it. Just don't be offended when people point it out to their friends, etc. at cruise nights, shows, and parking lots.:rolleyes:

10. kustoms36

kustoms36

11. Larry T

Larry T

Aged like a fine wine. A car painted when this thread was first posted would probably have natural patina now.

loudbang, 49ratfink and madmike8 like this.
  12. WTF? You waited from 2006 just to say that?

The thread's 8 years old.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He was waiting for his paint to weather.

falcongeorge and 49ratfink like this.
  14. What really cracks me up is fake patina on newer OT cars with "rusty" urethane bumper covers.

loudbang likes this.
  15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Old thread I know but I'll share what a old timer said about aged or purposely amaturized cars. "I can't believe they are building them that way on purpose. When we built our cars we did the best we could with what we had." Referring to what we have for information, tools, etc. nowadays. The car he had and still owns was unchanged from 1959 when built, a definite snapshot in time nothing fake about it.

loudbang likes this.
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

fake patina is still as lame as it was in 2006.

Rolling Bones cars all need to be blown apart, painted, chromed, upholstered and the fucking frame horns put back on.

I don't think this stupidity will ever end, which will come in handy when paint and chrome plating are outlawed by the EPA

loudbang, Chili Phil and WiredSpider like this.
  17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like the weathered look.. Don't really care what others think...

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Rolling Bones cars are gay...There, I just did... Feel better?

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Which, sadly, is probably just around the corner...:oops:

20. indyjps

indyjps

Prime the car, Shoot the car in the cheapest single stage enamel you can find, scotch Brite the whole car, wipe high wear areas quickly with thinner to take a layer of paint off, let it sit in the sun, the cheap enamels don't have much UV protection and will chalk up quickly, the scotchbriting will open the paint up and allow it to degrade quicker

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Absolutely. Honestly, this idea that sexual orientation is somehow linked to your taste in cars has always left me perplexed...Or have I got it all wrong? Does this mean that the cars themselves are gay? Does this mean that there are gay and straight car clubs? What about the whole marriage/domestic union issue? How can I figure out my cars gender? I mean, I have several sharing the same garage space at night, should I be going out there and checking what they are "up to"? If some are male and some are female, should I be expecting offspring? What about the whole "interracial" thing? Does this mean I should keep the chevies and fords in separate buildings? What if all my cars are male, and they get desperate? Would that mean they are "gay", or is there a "desert island" clause?? Should I get a sheep to tie up in the shop at night??

loudbang likes this.
  23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I foresee this thread closing soon...so I'll get my last .02 cents in. The Rolling Bones guys setup my frame and front suspension, and rear crossmember. They didn't build my car. I never wanted a fake patina car, that's why I went the extra mile and finished my car.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    draggin49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres another question that begs asking. Are all those volkswagens with the fake eyelashes transvestites??:eek:o_O

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

George...dude...step away from the computer and take a deep breath...I love you man, but lighten up a little...we cool?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Larry, you and I could never be anything but cool...
    liberace.jpg