Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plain Jane '38 Ford Coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jim galli, Oct 27, 2014.

1. jim galli

jim galli

It's tough when you're a guy making wages and you've got 2 expensive hobbies. I've loved the Fords so long the stuff that was in the showrooms when I was in 6th grade are all collectable now. Then in the '90's I got into the giant wood large format cameras so I could make the kind of images of the cars I wanted to.

[​IMG]

So a friend of mine sent the ebay link to this car and said, hey, how 'bout going in halfs and flipping it. I said, no, I want it. To keep.

[​IMG]

The thought of getting into an early V8 black coupe had been buried in my troubled mind for over 40 years, and the possibility of doing it now, for under 10G had me on the hook.

[​IMG]

This car had been asleep in Hemet California since 1963. Those are the original miles. And the missing pieces were stored neatly in the trunk. The fact that it was a V8-60 would perhaps keep the bidding low. It did. In a relative sort of way. That was in July of '14, so off we went with the trailer, down through the desert to get this Ford.

[​IMG]

Progress. The little 60 lives. It's an 82A and I don't have the heart to make it anything else. Red's Headers complete to the back with smithies. It may not go fast, but it's got that classic flathead sound in spades. Just gorgeous.

[​IMG]

The radiator's in Reno, waiting for me to pick it up. Tires are fresh. Seat is out of it. Getting recovered in simple black canvas duck. Nice and clean. It'll get a new rubber floor mat. Maybe next year some new glass.

So what's it going to be when it grows up? My plans are simple. I just want a survivor that could be any of the coupes parked in the daily transportation row at the back of this picture.

[​IMG]

Just a clean black Ford coupe with duals and a decal or two in the quarter windows that lets someone know, I'm an enthusiast. I'm into the scene. And this Ford that got me here, that no one's looking twice at, sitting in the back row behind the cones, is what I can afford.

Other hobby; I'll post some art shots below. These were taken on 6.5X8.5 film with a Kodak 8X10 camera. I just paid $2700 for the 1920's Pinkham lens that can accomplish this look that I'm after. Don't try this with your computer app

[​IMG]
    shiny black fode

[​IMG]
    38 fordy

[​IMG]
    teardrop

[​IMG]
    sun glint

[​IMG]
    curves

2. Ha ha. THAT'S COOL !!! I like your car, and the entertaining read. They are both perfect. Any more pictures of the car's odds and ends ?

3. Great car, great shots, cool attitude too. Congrats.

4. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

5. Good looking car. HRP

6. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Perfectly "understated". I like it clean & simple survivor. In fact I pulled her baby brother out of a barn this summer & my 39 would feel right at home in the parking lot next to yours.

7. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Good lookin' car. Just picked up a 38 Ford deluxe 2dr myself. Just about in the same condition. I'm keeping mine in the same "survivor" condition I got it.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

9. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Nice car and nice pictures. I really enjoyed them. Will Nevada let you run vintage plates? Those modern tags are the only distraction on the whole car; otherwise you could be driving a time warp.

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think the car & story are very cool. The photos are AWESOME!

11. jim galli

jim galli

Thanks everyone!

No, they won't even consider it, which is a bummer. Guess I should find some matching plates just in case they get their act together some time.

lewk likes this.
  12. You've got me hooked!

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Has your Coupe still got a tube axle, Jim? (V8 60 style...)

14. jim galli

jim galli

1937 only I think. No, it's ordinary Ford. It does still have the 3 1/2" wide wheels. 85's had 4"

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Neat car, great photos!

Malcolm

16. Very cool find! The car's great.

17. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Very nice!!

18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Excellent job with the car and the camera.

19. 38 Ford Guy

38 Ford Guy

20. Pete

Pete

Nice...Love the '38's

Im working on a '38 Deluxe with a standard nose. Yours is in much better shape than mine thou.....Mine spent its life on the east coast which you would think = rot box, but surprisingly its pretty solid.

Nice ride, ill be watching you thread.
    Pete-

21. jim galli

jim galli

Sure appreciate the encouragement and nice comments. Didn't get much done last weekend. Radiator did not make it home from Reno. My wife had gone up (240 miles for us) and went by A1 but the shop was closed. So the waiting continues. Worked on fresh wiring looms and cleaned up the glass on the guages. Also cleaned and oiled the speedo as it was howling on the couple trips around the block I've been able to do.

Snow is coming, and the garage is sort of full of Model A's so the black coupe will have to slug it out in the weather at least this year.

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool coupe.. I'm jealous and I want it...

23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's just something so right about plain black Ford with a v-8.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As the boss said............YES.

There is no such thing as a plain Jane 38 Ford, they are all just..............so right! They have a subtle beauty that can only be appreciated by the true connoisseur, a styling perfection that all cars before and after are based upon...........
    And........and......err...yeah, you got me. I too have a 38 Std Coupe!

That black coupe is very nice indeed. I must say I am a little jealous of that car!!!!
    Though I have to ask, Are you going to put the side curtains back on? Please do, they look much better with them on (Not that anyone gives a rats arse what I think! ;-) )
    Keep us informed as to the coupes progress, in words and that fantastic photography of yours!

Good luck with that beautiful coupe (Its a shame she has to live outside!)
    Cheers,
    Doc.

25. jim galli

jim galli

Thanks Doc. Oh yes, the side panels will definitely be there. Although somewhere in the family picture album there are pics of a 38 coupe that my late grandfather had around the place as secondary transportation to work and home, 1949 - ish, and it has the grizzly appearance of no side panels. Like a german shepherd dog with gums and teeth showing at the sides.

Since we have weather on the way, I've decided first priority is wax. Lots of paste wax on top so she'll shed moisture.

As to photos, I'm a pastor, so nudes are out. But this Ford has the curves and will be my muse for many antique lens tests.

26. Hey Jim thats a great ol coupe. Can't wait to see it "done"

27. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A very nice car. I love all of them, but I am especially attracted to the 38 Ford Standard.

28. Da Flash

Da Flash

29. Da Flash

Da Flash

Wow, the car is perfect and the photography extraordinary . I have been a pro photographer all my life and truly
    appreciate what you have to do to get those photos. Your good eye for composition is the main ingredient though.
    I have had many 4X5 view cameras and one 5X7 years ago. Still love them
    Da Flash