Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP Hood wont open 1948 Silver Streak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bgreene30, Oct 27, 2014.

1. bgreene30

bgreene30

Hi Y'all.

The retaining clamp came off the wire that connects to the head release mechanism at the front of the car just inside the grill.

I cannot seem to see in there the mechanism that needs to be tripped to manually release the bugger and my neck is shot from hours peering into the small crack under the hood and frame of the support.

Does anyone have any advice, instructions and maybe a picture of what to do?

There is a large plate on the underside of the car so you cannot see anything from the ground

Thanks in advance!
    Bob
    Sunny So Cal!

2. This may be a dumb question, but does the large plate have bolts holding it on?

3. jazz1

jazz1

I had the same problem when bringing my 48 chev back to Canada. Sent #1 son under to disassemble/remove the locking mechanisms. We did not even know there was a cable release until we got the hood open. I think he just undid the pecker bolt.

4. bgreene30

bgreene30

Hi, it does, but even when removed does not give access to the mechanism

5. bgreene30

bgreene30

Hi, unfortunately the car is in really good shape (restored late 70's) so there is no play in the hood when closed and only two of the 4 bolts are accessable.

What is a pecker bolt? is that the pointed stud that goes through the plate and gets locked in place?

6. osut362

osut362
    from East Texas
    1. Upholstery

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Ya its the striker stud,If you try and do the looped coathanger deal push down a little on the hood while you do it to take pressure off the latch on the stud.A service manual would help finding the latch location.

8. Does the latch area look similar to this?

Attached Files:

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Did similar on cars years ago, have someone slightly push down on front of hood to remove the tension on the spring behind pin where it goes through the lock panel and engages the arm. Using a long flat bladed screwdriver through the grill area locate the locking arm where it engages on the pin and push. Takes a few goes and patience however nothing gets damaged.

10. jazz1

jazz1

I am guessing the PO pried open seam in the hood of my sedan delivery to pop the hood. Not a good plan. You are correct on what I called the pecker bolt. Let us know how and what method you use to open your hood

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. verde742

verde742

long narrow knife, go to wife's drawer, like a bread knife, one of them has a "V" on the end.

12. DKcoupe

DKcoupe

13. bgreene30

bgreene30

Hey guys, I found the catch in there and made a tool to trip it.

Took a 14" piece of 1/4" round bar, bent the end about 22 deg. and simply pushed the catch.

All is well.

Fixed it and off to the races.

Cheers,

14. bgreene30

bgreene30

Hey DK, I just read your original post about keeping the tool in the car. Good Idea, I removed the file handle i stuck on one end and put the bar in the pile in the garage. Gonna reassemble tomorrow and stick in the trunk.

Cheers

15. bgreene30

bgreene30

kind of. thanks for the pic and help.
    I appreciate it
    Bob

16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I don't think that's been pried. my delivery looked the same, but it didn't appear to ever have been jimmied with.

back to the OP if I recall correctly there's an access hole in that panel that you can get a long screwdriver throught to manually move the hood release.

17. jazz1

jazz1

falconsprint63 Thanks for pointing that out before i tried pulling it back together..