Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester carburetor fuel over flow

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz61, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Chaz61

Chaz61
    from NY

My 1954 210’s Rochester single barrel carburetor has been over flowing. I have replaced the gas tank and line. I rebuilt the carburetor but it still overflowed. I have since replaced the carburetor with a new rebuild. I have driven for 2 weeks without an issue. Today the same overflowing problem occured. Could the problem be that when I converted to a 12 volt system I changed to an electric fuel pump? The pump I have pushes 72 gallons per hour. Is 72gph to high of a rate? Should I replace the pump with a lower gph delivery rate.

2. Do you have a fuel pressure regulator? If not, you need one.

3. It is not the volume that is the issue, it's the pressure. As stated, you probably need a pressure regulator. It sounds like your carb is being overwhelmed.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Chaz61

Chaz61
    from NY

My Pump is stated 4-6 psi output, for the single barrel Rochestor any idea what the psi should be set to on the regulator? Thanks for the post big help!

5. Chaz61

Chaz61
    from NY

My Pump is stated 4-6 psi output, for the single barrel Rochestor any idea what the psi should be set to on the regulator? Thanks for the post big help!

6. Four should work. But it trial an error. Why didn't you use the stock 235 pump? Jus askin

7. Chaz61

Chaz61
    from NY

Thanks for the info, I am new to all this car repair stuff, I replaced the mechanical pump which the previous owner was having problems with. The electric pump I purchased was recommended by a local parts place, I didn’t know about the importance of a constant psi or anything else.
    I will get a regulator , Hope it works!

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Try the regulator and stop getting recommendations for the parts place.
    If there was any way to run a mechanical pump I would. JMO

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Has the float "sunk?" If the float no longer floats no regulator in the world will keep it from flooding. I had one sink on the way to Memphis in 1980. Ran fine on the highway but would flood at a traffic light. the float is probably brass and they can crack from vibration. Got a rebuilt carb from the parts store and all was well. Check that before you throw money at it in the form of regulators.

10. Chaz61

Chaz61
    from NY

New rebuilded carb

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Take the float out and float it in gasoline. Float? Sink? That's the question.

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Cut the pressure to 3 lbs. ... "B" Rochester has a metal float that seldom fails. Ethanol in the gas will melt any Viton parts from older carb kits, so pull the lid & look in there ...