Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking Small – Baby Cars with motorcycle engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, May 6, 2013.

1. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

That's incredible...I want to build one like that. I think what's even more interesting about that picture is the all white tires before they did black...

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow...lol. That's neat. Really old, really small, chain drive even! Some people around here have taken to driving their small four-wheeled recreational vehicles around town and the surrounding area. I'd rather drive that thing!

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Like Street legal Dwarf cars..?

Mike

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember the King Midget? Not a motorcycle motor if I remember correctly but still a kinda cool little car.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is a thread here on the H.A.M.B. that is many pages long about cyclecars, which is what this basically is. Check it out.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanted one of those when I was a kid and finally saw one a few years ago and they aren't any bigger and probably no faster than a gas powered golf cart.

9. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Floyd Clymer ........I think he did books of some sort...maybe repair manuals???

edit: just looked it up on Wikipedia......motorcycle racer and manufacturer and dealer, publisher....and more. Quite the fellow.

Ray

11. Man if one could find that little car today.......

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A goo buddy of mine here in town is rebuilding a Henderson powered midget as we speak! Awesome little car with some neat craftsmanship back in about '34 or so.

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lets-talk-cyclecars.226791/

By a not really incredible coincidence I've been mulling over an idea for a motorbike-powered T tourer for the past week or so. Bike power has been a big thing recently with the Locost crowd, generally using the Dwarf Car layout, i.e. a chain-driven transverse motorcycle engine turned north-south and running an offset driveshaft off the chain sprocket. The perennial problem of a reverse gear is solved in numerous ingenious ways.

My idea is a KZ1300 six in a T frame, a nod to the numerous little sixes that popped up in the '20s. Though it is shaft-driven it is possible to take drive from the end of the gearbox driven shaft opposite to the bevel drive to the drive shaft. This would, however, give rotation opposite to the motorcycle norm, so the rest of the driveline would have to be chosen accordingly. Reverse rotation might also complicate my other idea of using a light car 4-speed elsewhere in the driveline to provide not only reverse but several ranges to counteract the effect of a very short final drive ratio, necessary due to the bike-engine torque curve. I'm still scratching my head over this.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  14. When I finish my 34 I want to build this little 57 Lloyd Alexander.With no motor/trans I think I can get it down to 850-900 lbs and use a big bike engine/trans ala dwarf car. Was originally a front driver so it's gonna need a small rear-drive rear axle. lloydphoto2.jpg lloydside.jpg

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^looks like a fun project.......back in the mid '60s or so, there was Lloyd Alexander wagon in my favorite 'ol junkyard. I've always been drawn to the odd duck East European cars of that era...there was a DKW coupe in another yard, a local fellow had a few Borgward Isabella coupes, and a buddy had a Skoda two door post for a short while. Along with Citroen 2CV and Renault 4CV/Dauphin.....oh well, we now return to regular scheduled programming..........back to my Buick....... :D

Ray

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  16. AHotRod

AHotRod

There are several car bodies that could lend themselves to this design.
    Fiat Topolino'
    Crosley
    Hillman
    Ford T and A

Looks like a fun time to me!

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Not to mention Austin 7.

18. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

How about starting with an old Formula V? It's a basic design, and parts are readily available. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414447142.583435.jpg This one is an old Formcar.

19. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

Or you could save yourself the trouble of building one and find a Velorex. This fabric-covered three-wheeler is powered by a 250cc Jawa. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414639659.398078.jpg

motoklas likes this.