Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1959 squarebird mild custom build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ynottayblock, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Oh man that's going to be sweet.

2. Hows the bird coming along? I'm missing updates on this project!

3. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I miss updates too...

She is still at the painter. I'm actually heading over there today to check up on things. Hopefully there is something to report.

4. Give him a stern talkin' to, tell him you've got people waiting... and losing patience :D

loudbang likes this.
  5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I'm lucky that I have patience...I mean I waited almost 33 years to finally have a custom car on the road, so I cant really be too pissed about a couple extra months. As long as the paint quality comes out to what I know my painter is capable of, I'm not going to complain. But dont get me wrong...im really itching to get it back and start putting it all back together.

6. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Great to see you post again! Look at the bright side. At least good weather wont be a deterent to spending time in the garage.

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

stopped by the paint shop...

colour and striping is on, he still wants to put a couple more coats of clear on to completely bury the striping. But boy was it nice to see it in colour...after 2 plus years in primer, it feels extremely awesome to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Here a a few sneak peeks...stay tuned
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wow looks great!! Love the colour combo.

9. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

That looks tremendous. Congratulations!

10. Oh yeah, looking good so far. Can't wait to see more.

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks fellas. I should get it back to the shop within the next couple weeks...then reassembly

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

So I got a good call from the painter today..."he said come over and take a look"

Better than I could have imagined...Rich really did exceed my expectations. I highly recommend him...he understood what I was trying to build and was interested in doing the job. I actually would have never found out about Rich Hilton https://www.facebook.com/richrefinishingautobody without the HAMB, I met him through @Fast Elvis who I met through the hamb. So thanks to this place my car is finally in paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Wow looks incredible!! Nice to see a paint story that is good and not about chasing a guy down for 8 months trying to get the work done.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Ha! I was thinking the same thing, K13! Nice job on the paint.

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thanks AJ, hows the truck coming along?

16. It's coming along. Thanks for asking. I've been meaning to do a big thread update with pictures, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Over at Neil's now finishing up the rust repair and metal straightening and should be back home in the next week or so.

Money allowing, I'll be starting bodywork on it over Christmas, so I'll be follow the same plan of endless sanding that you were on up till recently. Shooting to have it in paint and at least back together for the Jalopy Jam Up next August. We'll see how that one goes.

17. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@Speedy Canuck good to hear its coming along. It shouldn't cost too much for supplies to do bodywork on yours. And on the brightside, you have alot less surface area to sand than I did. The Jam Up should be doable for you. Definitely post an update, I'm interested to see how its coming.

18. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Here is something I had been slacking on...
    I have been collecting up a full set of 57 Lincoln Premier hubcaps over the past few years for this car. Now, I'm building this on a very reasonable budget, so I can't drop $400+ on a good set...so I've picked up a few decent ones that the cap and chrome were in good condition, but the centre caps were showing there age. I decided to try and restore one, as it wouldn't cost anything but the time involved. So I did one last night, which was the worst of the bunch and it came out pretty good. I cleaned it thoroughly, started with 320 grit wet paper and took it down to 2000 grit, then polishing compound, then broke out the brushes and one shot and gave it a new coat of paint. On the left is what I started with, on the right is the restored one. Not bad.
    [​IMG]

loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

That's looking great! Inspirational for sure! That'll be one heckuva squarebird!

20. Damn, the car looks amazing and those caps look great too. Nice.

21. big57daddy

big57daddy

Agreed - nice work on the cap(s)!
    Like you said - it don't cost nothing but some time, and it looks like you got a good return on your investment!

22. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks. Its finally coming together like I imagined

Rich really did a fantastic job. Hows the shoebox coming along?

The caps turned out alot better than I had expected, I figured I would be searching for replacements or casting some from scratch (which I may still do)

Here is another one for the before and after files...I've been working on the tailight housings. I took one, cleaned it, repolished it...stripped the old faded black paint and repainted it. Turned out nice, just have to do the same for the other side now.
    [​IMG]

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  23. Nice work on the tailights too.

Resting comfortably.

24. Elbow grease and patience, the two most important tools in a builder's toolbox!

Nice job.

ynottayblock likes this.
  25. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

we brought it back from the paintshop this morning. couldnt help but throw the wheels, tires and caps on.
    [​IMG]

26. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

27. Very very very nice....I love the unique color combo.....when the budget allows some chrome reverse wheels would really set that sweet vehicle off....what grill are you gonna run? I don't understand why more folks don't do square birds...still pretty reasonable, drive like a dream...awesome interiors, and don't take much to make em cooler....great car..I coast wait to see it with the chrome back on

28. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Great job. I love the color combo and line work.