Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Made some progress over the last couple of days. Here are some pics of the dros tray and the table I will set my computer on. Still have to set up some mounts which will fold away when not in use.

DSCF0606.JPG DSCF0605.JPG

Mtw fdu.

oldgoaly likes this.
  2. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Got this old press at an auction.I have a bunch of press brake dies laying around so I finally built a hand press brake.Made up the top brackets from scrap angle.Milled the top and bottom die holder from some square stock Ive had for ever.1 1/2 round stock guides with bushings to keep er straight.Beats hammering stuff around the bench edge and I can bend more than one bracket at a time.50 Ton bottle jack.Should be able to do around two foot 1/4" 90deg.Ive used this for tons of stuff already.Quick and precise.Needs a light.

Attached Files:

oldgoaly, jakespeed63, bct and 2 others like this.
  3. Here is a short video of my cutter doing a simulation cut. I am slowly working through some minor issues with the z not going down and also the mm's not staying set after I set them.

I will post another video when I can simulate a cut using a sharpy.

Mtw fdu.

oldgoaly and Ulu like this.
  4. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That is soo cool!

The GUI world is so different. When I started CNC we were writing code with a pencil, for some keypunch girl to make IBM cards.

Now I have to punch the keys myself. ;)

5. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

My homemade Pullmax and English wheel. Rendering for a CP style hammer I'm starting on soon. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412710882.570356.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412710712.153614.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412710740.961185.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412710776.886526.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412710803.439284.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412710822.544144.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412710856.861211.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. @Ulu...I have been in contact with my cnc guy I bought the unit off of. I have to send him the gcode to the piece I was trying to simulate and also the plasma "xml" file as well. He said it has to be set from G20 to G21 so he will manipulate the programme so the controller can do mm rather than inches.

I will keep you posted on my results.

In the video I have set the speed for 6mm(1/4 inch) to 1500mm/min.

Mtw fdu.

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I quit writing gcode 20 years ago when I learned AmadaCAD, and I don't think I could remember a fraction of it now.
    I was writing for a turret-head punch press & press brake, and before that for CNC tubing benders. Before that it was code for an NC conveyor line & an x-y torch table but I also drew lots of mylar patterns for the pattern-follower gang torch setups back in the 70's.

8. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

@toreadorxlt

You've really got the bug! That's a lot of work and planning to build those big frames & get it to all come out straight.
    The green thing is a shrinker/stretcher?

9. gatz

gatz

Learned g-code programming on a Bandit controller driving a........Beaver mill (go ahead and chuckle)
    Mill was made in England.
    The Bandit was MDI (Ulu and some other oldsters will know what that is)
    It was supposed to store programs for later use on a common cassette recorder........seldom worked.
    If the parts were to be run a second or more time, it was all manually loaded in. Great opportunity for errors.
    But, for the beginning of the CNC era, it was pretty good. 'Course it was only 2 1/2 control

Next CNC was a Bridgeport Series I with the Boss 6 controller. Still a 2 1/2, tho'.

By the time the business got a true 3 axis HAAS, I was off the floor. Didn't really miss it...HaHa

10. I've used a Beaver mill, seemed well made.

11. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I've never owned my own mill, but if someone offered me a free Beaver I'd be hard pressed to turn it down.

niceguyede and loudbang like this.
  12. If things go to plan next year I will be spending the time and money to set up my lathe to cnc. I don't think I will set my mill up but you never know what could happen in the future!!!

Mtw fdu.

13. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Here is a belt sander I made out of an extra bench grinder a few years ago image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg The main pulley is a pvc pipe connector with a plywood center epoxyed and screwed in.
    The idler pulley is two idler pulleys stacked from a Buick 3800 engine.
    The idler shaft is adjustable in all 4 directions for belt tracking.
    The platen is on top and adjustable for belt tension.

oldgoaly, Ulu and jakespeed63 like this.
  14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I never had to do that except on desktop machines (glorified calculators) & then even they got magnetic storage. But we typically had 1" tape drives for program storage & paper punch tape to load the programs. I remember Vendo's paper punch machine died & we were still running some old parts for dealer service from paper tape. We had to constantly restore old punch tapes when those orders came in because the company didn't want to bother programming something that was already quite obsolete, into the new GUI CAD system.

15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'm kinda surprised it doesn't melt.

I had a belt sander with plastic drums on steel axles & the plastic got so hot the axle just spun in the drive drum.

16. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

It works pretty good the way it is , but if I build another one I will probably use the steel pulleys coated in high temp "rubber" like the factory built units.
    I say rubber because I'm not sure what material it realy is.

17. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I'm looking at Toreadorxlt's English wheel, Pullmax and proposed hammer above ... and I must say he's done a great job. But I'm looking at those C frames and I'm asking myself why we build so many to get where we want to go. I'm thinking with some quick release fasteners a guy could build the English wheels and hammers, and maybe even a drill press or louver press all to fit onto one big C frame. Just a thought for you guys that get more projects finished than I do...

18. I do a lot of cabinet blasting and found an alternative and less expensive way to protect the glass window as compared to purchasing the cover sheets from Eastwood or TIP. I get a roll of .003 clear plastic film from the art store (40"x12' roll about $12 at Dick Blick) and cut the roll into 12" lengths with a saw. I then tape the end of the roll to the glass, unroll it, cut it to length, then tape the perimeter with
    regular masking tape. Found besides being cheaper, that the masking tape holds better and does not leave an adhesive residue like the double sided tape on the purchased sheets.
    IMG_2274.jpg IMG_2275.jpg IMG_2276.jpg

19. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

I like the idea, but for me personally I really hate setting up tooling. It's easier for me to move from one machine to the other than it would be to change out stuff. It would be a great space saving concept, I'm just too lazy lol

20. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I've got one designed that i have yet to build, but it is an interchangeable between e-wheel and power hammer. I designed it to save space but like Toreadorxlt said, I'm lazy and hate switching out tooling!

21. Using equipment with inter-changeable tooling is ok when space is limited. There are both good and bad points about each. The interchangeable tooling can be a pain when especially changing the tooling takes longer than the job you are doing. I myself use equipment with no changeable tooling for this reason...everyone to their own!!!

Mtw fdu.

22. impala4speed

impala4speed

Great idea, one I'll be stealing. Thanks.

23. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Being just a hobbyist, it's tough for me to find room (and money) for a shrinker, stretcher, english wheel, planishing hammer, plinth, anvil, etc. For that reason I will tolerate tooling changeovers and more primitive means of work. If I was running a real shop, it would be a different story.

24. I have finished "building" my cnc plasma table and now am working through some technical issues. I purchased the machine from the US and everything has been set to recognise inches. Here down under we use the metric system and I am now getting my cnc supplier to manipulate the programme he sent me. Here is a short video of it now.

Hopefully can post a video soon of it doing some cutting.

Mtw fdu.

Ulu likes this.
  25. Here is a little giz I made to help thread tie rods, etc. Don't have a lathe at home and was having a little trouble getting the tap started straight enough especially since the 11/16" taps that Speedway sells (at reasonable prices) are plug taps instead of taper taps. Anyway, drilled an 11/16" hole in a piece of DOM, honed it until the tap fit smoothly thru, welded it onto a piece of angle, added a bar with a clamping bolt. Fits 1"OD tube as is for hairpin bungs and with shims 7/8" OD for tie rods and drag links along with shortened original Ford tie rods. It worked out so well I made another one to fit a 5/8"-18 tap for clevises and 4 bar bushing ends. Just gotta use a good drill and strong grip to open the tubes to tap drill size.
    tap 2.jpg tap 3.jpg tap 4.jpg tap 5.jpg tap 1.jpg

Roger53 likes this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well its kind of a combination tool I made a stand on my sand bag stand to hold my cheap tool store planishing hammer. 20141026_090219.jpg 20141026_090249.jpg

Roger53 and stealthcruiser like this.
  27. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

cool stuff man

28. salf100

salf100

That's one hell of a drill! It's a beast on roids :)

From my teletype.

29. chrisp

chrisp

After owning a stretcher and shrinker for almost 10years I finally got around building 2 foot operated pedestals, any resemblance to the Baileigh one is purely coincidental :D
    [​IMG]

saltflats likes this.
  30. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Here is the plasma table at work. I can't imagine building one. Kudos and I hope you get your bugs worked out. We have our share with this commercial machine.

[​IMG]