Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '30 this time a tudor sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bgaro, Oct 23, 2014.

1. bgaro

bgaro

unnamed-9.jpg things are looking up, just picked up this lil sedan. super solid, banger (that turns), pretty well stock. i wanna build the hot rod my grandfather would have put together after the war. i've got plenty of parts and some friends to help. View attachment 2745048 View attachment 2745048

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. gonzo

gonzo

That's nice for an east coast car, good score.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. alot better than what I started with!

5. bgaro

bgaro

so the story goes: the guy i bought it from had been chasing it for years, regularly asking if the car was for sale. time went by he bought a coupe and a new house and lost touch with the owner. a chance meeting with the ol' fella at the hardware store led to, " hey I've been looking for you, i'm finally ready to sell the car". he pulled the car out of the owners barn in pieces where it had sat for the past 25 years.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. bgaro

bgaro

7. I noticed the car has a 31radiator shell.

Cool find! HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Cowl Band Trim = 1931 ?

VR&C.

9. bgaro

bgaro

yup, the running board/splash apron too. says '31 doesn't it? better change the title of this thread and the bill of sale. hahah

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  10. Your splash aprons are two piece which say 1930. The small splash apron piece is connected to the front fenders which is how they came in 1930. 30-31's all had the stainless cowl band. The shell has been replaced with a 31. You have a 1930 Tudor. Another sure way to tell is to look up under the gas tank at the firewall on the inside. If there are not small rectangle reinforcement pieces spot welded to the firewall opposite where the radiator supports attach you have a 1930. In 1931 they reinforced these areas with the rectangular pieces to keep the firewall metal from tearing. Nice car by the way!

gwhite and need louvers ? like this.
  11. No,the 31 Model A had one piece splash aprons,the 30 had a two piece.

I believe your car is a 30 the radiator shell has been changed at some point in time. HRP

12. bgaro

bgaro

'54caddy and i, made some progress yesterday. boy is this thing clean. unnamed-5.jpg

13. the body really does look clean and solid. Happy for your find!!! Enjoy. tim

14. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Heres a photoshop of the goal

bud2.jpg

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I approve, although you don't need my permission.

"I need my mirror boy"

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Reminds me of one I built in the 70's. Congrats!
    ModelA_0002.jpg

volvobrynk, lothiandon1940 and bgaro like this.
  17. bgaro

bgaro

making a little progress, chasing down the chassis stuff, motor is in, should have the axle back from okie joe this week. heres a shot of the T spring with an extra leaf added for stiffness, and some MG midget rear shocks.

Attached Files:

18. bgaro

bgaro

19. Bugguts

Bugguts

Man ,what a nice car to start with. Enjoying the build.

20. Ahhh !! Finally a way to tell a 1930 apart from a 1931 that isn't based on rad shells, aprons etc. always wondered how to determine a stripped down body shell - aside from a late 31 that has the gas shut off indent - Good Info, I have searched everywhere for a detail like this & all I ever found was the aprons/rad shell comparisions, this detail isn't based on bolt on parts - perfect.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I see ribs on your wide 5's, are you using the 36 only mechanical brakes up front or is that just a drum that happens to have ribs on the rear end?

22. bgaro

bgaro

36 on the rear, but not on the front 'cuz you know they don't fit anything else. model a spindles and 39 stuff up front.

volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, that's what I'm finding, partially; there are apparently a specific set of deep offset Lincoln backing plates that will work with the 36 wide 5's & spindles, but I haven't tracked a set down yet. I found your build thread while I was digging for more info yesterday. I just picked up a 36 front end I'd like to try and run on my build.

I'm liking your build a lot. Everything looks clean and deliberate. You totally lucked out finding sheet metal that nice up here! There's a fair amount around I've found but hardly any of it is THAT nice!

How are you finding the fit of the T spring into the A rear crossmember?

24. Nice find! Good luck with the build.

25. bgaro

bgaro

Pat, I'm using a model A top leaf on the T stack as a spacer to fit the crossmember.

lothiandon1940 and patmanta like this.
  26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

AHA!
    All the times I've seen people reference this trick I don't think I've ever seen that bit explained. Thanks!

27. bgaro

bgaro

28. bgaro

bgaro

got the body back on with help of '54caddy...and officially gave up on paint and bodywork for this year. gonna try and slam this thing together and get out there, spring has sprung.

tinsled and patmanta like this.
  29. Sounds like a good idea! Since we've been discussing 30's vs. 31's:rolleyes:, I thought I would post this here.....
    Early 30's had an oval speedometer, late 30's and 31's had a round speedo.
    image.jpg image.jpg

30. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looks like a nice solid body. Good to see another banger build.