Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A COUPESTER Door Tops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Oct 25, 2014.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

What happens to the door tops on all the A Coupester builds? I need 1930-31 door tops if you have any just taking up space. Bob

2. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

All depends on how far you want to take it. Some just cap them off with a beaded panel and are done. Others go so far as to thin the whole door down and then cap it to look as close to a roadster as they can.

3. Bob, i see this problem keeps you up at night:D
    i will check with Uncle Charlie, he cut the tops off for the roadster pickups he built. he saves everything.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, I just need to buy the tops of the doors after they get cut off, rust free ones I hope. Bob

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Sorry to crash this thread, but there seems to be nowhere else to ask these types of questions.

I'm after some off-cuts from a Model A Coupe chop.

So anyone got ANY parts they've cut from a Model A, please don't throw them out ..... just yet

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd accept Tudor or Straight top Fordor tops as well. Just need tops, no side rails, think of all the doors missing the bottom 6-8 inches with good tops. Bob

7. missysdad1

missysdad1

Dang it, and here I thought you were posting to ask how to properly cut the doors to make a coupester from a coupe or a sports coupe...and not just trolling for parts.

There's a lot more to making a proper coupester from a '29 - '29 closed car than just cutting the tops off the doors. To make the doors and the tops of the quarters (when separated from the top at the original seam) flow together properly the doors have to be cut down by about 3/4". Then tops have to be fabricated to close off the resulting gap between the inner and outer door panels. The cut and the fabricated door tops must then be blended upward in some artful way so that the front hinge is maintained in its original size and location.

Okay...now back to the parts trolling. Good luck!

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Trolling only because nobody replied to my WANT AD in the HAMB classified section. If this thread can help build better looking Coupesters I'm all for it. Bob

9. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

last time i ask for help finding stuff here it dissapered........