Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '29 RPU hit hard in Huntington Beach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyin-t, Sep 28, 2014.

1. damn shame.. heal up Larry and sorry bout the RPU

2. I have seen Larry's RPU all over So Cal. This accident really hurts. My first car was an RPU. Larry was smart enough to hang on to his. I was not. I am thankful that Larry will be OK. I hope his RPU is brought back to it former glory, and they both spend the rest of their lives together.

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am making my first ever trip to LARS next year. Talked to a few guys from around here, all of them are are either flying down or taking their dailies instead of thier hot rods. They all mentioned the idiotic CA drivers as a big reason why. Between the guys I've talked to, these threads and Chips comments about AZ drivers I'm thinking I'm gonna fly...

4. toml24

toml24

I've seen the RPU several times at Donut Derelicts recently and was there Saturday when it happened. I saw a fire truck drive by about 6:00am and I had no idea it was heading towards the accident, about 1 1/2 miles away. I drove through that same intersection when I was leaving the show about 8:30am and it was all cleaned up and gone. I have one thought about how the RPU ended up facing that direction. I wonder if the RPU was leaving the donut shop and going home? How many 360s did it do when it was hit?

5. 296ardun

296ardun

Just glad he is ok, and wants to rebuild...

6. blackout

blackout

This is wrong

7. I am so happy Cigar Larry wasn't hurt too bad and he survived a accident and can rebuild the RPU. HRP

8. seatex

seatex

Lucky man. Metal can be fixed. Glad he's okay.

9. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Glad Cigar Larry is ok... I just took some photos of this RPU at Kiwi Steve's a month or so ago

10. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

That sucks ass.......Glad your ok Larry.
    I hope he can get the 29 back on the road again.

11. glad Larry is okay and looking to build again.....goLarrygo....

12. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Glad he's alright! Not too far from my apartment. My daughter who moved back to the Midwest recently, said when she heard of this, she was scared for a minute until she remembered I traded my A for a cruiser!

13. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"I have a friend here in Wash. state, who has 5 really high dollar hot rods".

He can afford 5 high dollar Rods but is too damn cheap to insure them!? He's a socially irresponsible fool. Driving around with open headers is an example of "getting away with it". Rolling without insurance is dumb. If he permanently disables or kills someone in an accident w/o insurance, he'll lose his 5 high dollar Rods and everything else he owns. Might do some time too if the DA demonstrates he willfully rolled w/o coverage for years.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  15. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Awe man is that the rpu that's always at the car wash in sunset beach!!! Damn!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. huge bummer! i have seen the truck at doughnut derelicts and El Mirage! this truck is neat.

17. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Hey I figure you guys wouldn't mind another picture of Cigar's RPU

507 (640x480).jpg
    2014 4ever4 Cylinder Club Antique Nationals Bar-B-Que
    517 (640x480).jpg

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Regretfully I have never met the man but I have seen the car around different events for like 35 years. Glad he is OK. The damage to his old friend just tears at your heart.

19. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Glad Larry's alright and that the RPU will ride again, doubtless better than before.

20. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

How about some more?
    In the Staging lanes Antique Nationals 2007 LACR, the RPU to the left.
    antiquenationals07-077 (640x480).jpg
    Yeah, I had to find these from some archive hard drives.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Hotrodmyk likes this.
  21. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Race Slicks and racing trim, Antique Nationals Bar-B-Que 2008
    JUNE-08 033 (640x480).jpg

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  22. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Antique Nationals 2009 Fontana Dragway AN09 072 (640x480).jpg
    Sans Winshield and Spare tire, race trim. Cigar would race this thing then drive her home.
    AN09 093 (640x480).jpg
    Actually note that Cigar is not driving here, but his friend is taking a pass in the RPU.
    Ok that is all I could find. And maybe I should go to more than one drag race show a year.

Dean Lowe and Hotrodmyk like this.
  23. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Any Update on how Cigar Larry is doing?

24. Mike

Mike

If California required proof of insurance before issuing plates and tags, the insurace companies would lose their excuse for jacking up their rates. I reckon that some of the added revenue from the higher rates does go to cover un-insured motorist related costs, but I'll bet that a good potion of it is pure profit.

Hey, don't the insurance compamies charge folks extra for un-insured motorist coverage? I wonder what they do with that revenue?

25. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

I asked this question and saw Cigar Larry a few days later. Have not posted anything since, but glad to report that he was doing good, and did not seem to have any injuries...except his car. He is going to get her fixed. Maybe someone could post some updates as they come along.

26. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

While the plates -can- go with the car, do you HAVE to let them go with the car in California? I'd be pulling them off and let the next guy deal with getting brand new plates.

27. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Yes and no. If they are personalized, you can take them and put them on another car. Not personalized, you CANNOT use them on another car unless they are under the YOM program. Or you take them and they are garage art.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just found this thread and would like to wish Cigar Larry a speedy full recovery. That RPU is a classic California ride, with a timeless look to it. Hope the rebuild goes well without any problems. Bob