Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '57 Olds 371...What would YOU do??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Dad, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I was hoping you'd check in - first, I meant absolutely no disrespect by that $18k comment - I just know that these motors are expensive, and in terms of putting them together, you get what you pay for!

Are you recommending that I don't use those pistons?

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Good plan!

facelift2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

4. Just a side point on compression and gas.
    My wife runs a 67 caddy with a 429.
    I'm sure it is at least 10:1 compression.
    Runs perfectly normal on 93 pump gas,
    Even better on Sunoco 94!

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I looked over your album also. The same attention to detail you gave to the "horns", should also apply to the engine. Tear it down, tank it, new cam bearings, rings, rod and main bearings. Basically, a new overhaul, even though it "might" have been done years ago. No telling what's found it's way into the engine after all those years. I know, it's not my money, but that's what I'd do. My only real change, would be to swap in a Hydro. I am Butch/56sedandelivery. P.S., Are you "Dr. Olds" dad or something?

6. CGkidd

CGkidd

I agree with all Butch said except going to a Hydro. You allready have the manual trans and the car was set up for a manual trans. Do you have all the shifter linkage for the column shift? That would be the deciding factor on using the manual. The stock manual is a selector type manual which is almost impossible to get a aftermarket shifter fo now days.

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

If you change out the pistons I would be interested in your domed pistons.

8. F&J

F&J

DSCN9185 (Large).JPG DSCN9185 (Large).JPG Someday I would like to visit your collection,,, I'm in Ct not far from Rhode Island border. I have a couple of stick J'2s ...and one has bigger pistons than yours :) ...and a 324 and 303. I try to visit with all the old Rocket gurus and listen to the stories..

I did not see if you said it was a HYD cam or if it has adjustable rockers?

Here are some pics of a lifelong Olds guys estate (that is the estate barn in the big pic..not mine). He had tons of stick cars, and stick convertibles... The Blue/White conv is factory J-2 stick. The brown 56 conv the guy used on his honeymoon, and maybe bought it new. Factory stick, but he swapped in a souped 394 to the orig column shift stick. These cars are not for sale... :(

Attached Files:

9. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

Yes, I have the shifter linkage for the column - all there and in place including the neutral safety switch - the biggest reason I bought this car was for the standard shift - I've been around Olds my entire life and I can count on one hand how many I've seen. It's staying just the way it is.

Will keep that in mind

I'm far from a Doctor of Olds - just have been around them forever...have a few OT ones too - Toro, late model convertible Cutlass, 71 Convertible - my kids are tied to my car hobby so hence the "Olds Dad"

I plan to detail the engine (actually to disguise it as a 324 to weed out the people who really know what they're looking at ;) ) to the level I gave the "horns" - all the car for that matter - body will be on a rotisserie before the snow flies...and that happens soon in RI. Respectfully disagree regarding the Hydramatic for this car. Going to take the motor apart and see what's there, probably call Tony at Ross, and see what happens.

10. CGkidd

CGkidd

Oh damn F&J I need a moment alone

11. go to the album.
    The car is a factory stick.
    Basic rule on these cars. If it has a stick...LEAVE IT!
    Hardly anything GM other than a Chevy after about '50-'51
    has a standard trans.. Stick Olds cars were extremely rare then and even rarer now.
    Everything about this car screams STANDARD!!!

12. Yeah!!!
    I type slow but it looks like you got ot right!!!

13. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

This car came from there...was in the garage - not the barn. Bought this '55 hardtop out of that barn too...I've drooled over every car on that property - including the J-2 Fiesta wagon stick!! 1955  Olds coming home 012 (Medium).jpg

14. Man I want an Olds stick real bad now!!!!
    Wish I had some $$$

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Exactly right as usual, Rich.
    I had some engines in my shop that had sat assembled for 3+ years. (354 Hemi, 394 Olds, 454 Chev)
    Speed-o-Motive was my parts supplier, so prior to just firing them up when they became needed, I called and ordered new rings only; Al overnighted them to me, as usual.

Besides the ring tension concern: Wonder how much dirt has gathered in the engine from sitting THAT long.

16. I would agree and disagree with comments made.
    I WOULD check out the engine .......... but, from what you are saying, it looks like the late owner was in the process of doing the rebuild.
    Checking out means pulling a rod and main bearing cap , plastigage both to see how well the late owner did, then have the heads checked out.
    Clean up the block, in and out, reassemble, add FRESH OIL, then start her up.
    Although the 3 speed on the column is now uncommon, I would not call it rare, for back in the day.
    I clearly remember (in the 50's) stick shift Buicks and Oldsmoblies being driven to high school.
    Yes, there were more Dynaflows and Hydros, but the stick shift guys made their appearances, as well.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

You guys have awakened an old memory (Memories Plural!) of Stick Oldsmobiles.
    First one I rode in was a '49 Sedanette (fastback) 324, but factory stick. (Torquey!)
    Then, some more:

Jimmy Wilson had a '50 fastback, New '57 J-2 with LaSalle floorshift. Faast!

Kenny Broadway found a stock '50 Olds Coupe, stick. Helped him with some engine mods.

Ronny, an older kid, black '50 Olds Coupe, '57 J-2, '37 LaSalle floorshift. I bought this car in '59, Ronny couldn't keep a tranny in it. (tore the tranny down, NO needles in the front of the cluster! Fixed it, tuned it to death...
    That car seemed faster than it was, never got out of the 14s...

Bonneville Butch built a '50 Coupe, J-2 mill, '37 LaSalle...seafoam green, a real sleeper.
    Midget guru Ronny Dunn bought it, I adjusted the valves (McGurk cam) and tuned it, turned high 13s at Baylands. (Beautiful Olds, all aluminum inside engine compartment, partial sheet aluminum interior...Wish I had pics!)
    Love those long-legged Oldsies!

18. F&J

F&J

DSCN9230 (Large).JPG DSCN9231 (Large).JPG
    Hey Gordon, My stock 57 J2 with factory stick trans was found hanging from a engine hoist in the bay where your car is in front of. Yes, mine is the motor from the all-black Fiesta stick wagon with tinted glass. The Son cut the car up for scrap before I found the farm, but he still had the doors and gates. Small world :)

Sad to say there were maybe 100 cars outside in a satellite view when I was tring to find the place, but the pic was a year old, and the cars outside were already cut up and scrapped.

The 61 98 conv in the wet basement; I found a big box of NOS GM stick shift changeover parts that the guy ordered from GM in the 60s to make that 61 a stick; I found them in the parts room in the shop, along with a 394 flywheel. Every thing including pedal, dash bracing, Z bar, linkages, springs etc. I was going to buy the 61, but when Dave50 and I took a closer look under it this summer, it's just too much work. But I did find the 394 dual exhaust manifold and block-off plate that day.

The Dad used to pick the son up school with the 61, in the 1960s, and the kid was spooked to heck of that car, because there was a shrunken head hanging from the rear view mirror. It ain't there no more :)

loudbang likes this.
  19. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I believe that 98 ended up in Casco, Maine...another Olds maniac up there bought it - resting in another Olds collection to rival where it came from.

My father bought a '61 Dynamic 88 Fiesta from the same collection and it similarly had the entire stick shift conversion pieces from GM in the car - no flywheel though.

To have found this barn 30 years ago when it was active...a boy can dream!