Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A more attractive overflow bottle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by menacekustoms, Oct 16, 2014.

1. The beauty of building hot rods is being able to try different ideas,if we all stuck strictly to the 40's period correct way of building the overflow would run down the driveway. :D HRP

Model T1 and wingnutz like this.
  2. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Is there an old, defunct, local brewery you could track down a can from? I've got a OG Highlander can set aside for my '35.
    [​IMG]

3. That's funny Danny- I was just thinking the SAME THING... just remember that you have one less :D

4. You are correct my friend,I am down to two. HRP

5. It's a sacrifice, but I'm willing to make it :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I agree, really nice clean build does not deserve anything from the trash can.

Ago

7. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

I agree, however in my case of running no hood sides, I wanted something that wasn't trashy, but that was unique and had a little bit of class. I actually enjoy having the Pyrene extinguisher, and all the positive attention it gets.

tommyd likes this.
  8. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Cyclone fence post and caps:
    DSCN0605 (Small).JPG

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Early on in the building and parts buying stages of building my "A" Hiboy w/sbc I bought a Speedway overflow tank and replumbed it so it would work as a coolant recovery tank like a late model car where as a car cools down and the coolant contracts, it sucks coolant from tank back to radiator.
    In the rush to drive BGII, I didn't at first install it. Equipped with a Walker radiator capable of handling 17# pressure, I used a 16# cap, A zip's water pump riser with the "hvy duty" alum. pump form Auto Zone and a 17" 7 blade fan., and have never installed the puke tank, in a year of driving, the coolant is still right at the level as when I poured it in.
    To be safe at the occasional trip to the drags, I zip tie a 12oz. drinking water bottle to the right headlight mounting post, pull th hose out of the lower clip on side of radiator and poke it in the bottle, which is clear, so you can quickly take a look. Then at the end of the day, clip zip tie and replace hose in clip.
    Works so well I think the puke tank is gonna become swap meet fodder.

plumbid and Model T1 like this.
  10. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414039115.301355.jpg

Here's the engine bay now without the overflow bottle and a relocated coil mount. It looks much cleaner. I REALLY have to figure out the wires on the firewall though, they're driving me up the wall!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Scumdog

Scumdog

I used the alloy drink bottle that is designed to fit into a bracket mounted on a mountainbike frame- and bolted the mounting clip to the radiator surround on my '55 F100, quick and simple.

Paint it all flat black if you don't like the shiney bracket and anodized bottle.

12. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Used an old overflow tank off a Suzuki motorcycle. Just the right shape to hide inside the inner fender blister. Easy couple of brackets, and still get asked why I don't run one. You'd burn ya ears trying to see it. Good luck deciding.

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  13. afaulk

afaulk

I have used a plastic Mountain Dew bottle, however a glass RC Cola would be more traditional.................

14. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

IMG_2779 (1824 x 1368).jpg IMG_2780 (1824 x 1368).jpg I made a homemade alum. canister using the radiator support rods
    for support, its up out of the way.

hotrod54chevy, Model T1 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  15. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Paint that blue v-reg black and get some split plastic wire looms....then you can sit back and figure out your wire routing options....or not. ;)

16. DavidP

DavidP

I used a small overflow tank I bought on ebay for another car ... probably the cheapest one there (<$10) ...
    I wanted it hidden as much as possible ... so I squeezed it in behind the rad support and braced the area with a strip of steel holding the modified clip for the tank ... overflow_bottle 001.jpg

17. I was gonna use this if I could just get the damn peanuts out of it.:rolleyes: 382A01031.jpg

40fordtudor likes this.
  18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, at least Jimmy got thru his one term intact and didn't have to leave in disgrace like Spiro!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    Picked up the same but chromed at a swap. Only need an OEM mounting bracket now. Have a fully charged chrome Pyrene in my 35 now.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    40fordtudor likes this.
  20. It can be mounted in the trunk if you wanted, doesn't need to be in the engine bay. JW

21. clem

clem

I would tidy up the radiator pipes while you are at it...

22. gatz

gatz

lol, had to look that up ...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Now I'd lose those radiator pipes and clean that up, I would think those would slow the coolant down going around square corners, LOL
    A little at a time. Looking good, any more pictures of the complete car?

24. wbsrodshop

wbsrodshop
    from Mo, Sweden

I got mine made by using a couple of IKEA bowls...

Attached Files:

25. An old 50,s soda siphon is going in mine.

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know guys after a lot of thought I just didn't want to do anything cute that would detract from everything so I just decided to put one of these on. I do enjoy though looking at what you have done and I might do something like one of them on another car.
    Gary

IMG_0045.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Some of these ideas are pretty cool! For your car, the OP of this thread, I go along with the "vintage" containers being used; keep it along the same lines as the design of the car. The only thing I have't seen here, is to use a water bottle designed for a bicycle frame; I'd just swap the container out for something more period correct. There's a brand of vodka sold in a skull decanter that would look pretty good in the right car, some fairly recent Coke promotions using aluminum "bottles", and tons of water carry bottles made of everything from plastic to stainless steel. But I agree on one thing, that water overflow needs to go. I am butch/56sedandelivery.

28. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Already mentioned on post #71 (I think) by Scumdog.

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just found two buckets of old bottles to use. And a Holley

0614151611.jpg