Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 Ford trunk springs that dont

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irace25, Oct 21, 2014.

1. irace25

irace25
    from NAPA

Anyone have good luck with replacement trunk springs? How about BAD LUCK? Or ANY luck at all.. I put a new set in the 40 Ford and the trunk will not stay up at all--- The originals sorta-kinda--worked. Until the wind got it.. But these brand NEW springs-- not a chance..
    Any one know where to get some springs that work?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. I've had the same problem with a set I got a few yrs. ago from Drake. I'm not calling out Drake 'cause I've gotten lots of parts from them and was completely happy. Their trunk springs, and I'm assuming you mean for a coupe, have been a pain, literally, since I installed them. I even bought what are supposed to be the correct shoulder bolts for the lower mounts and had to pay extra for them as they weren't part of the original purchase, still they won't hold up the deck lid. I think, and I could be wrong, that they are supposed to move slightly toward you when the deck is lifted all the way up to sort of "lock-out" for lack of a better term. These have never done that and that heavy-ass deck lid has hit me in the head on more than one occasion and almost broken my arm a few times. I gave up and use a prop rod in the interest of safety.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. verde742

verde742

gas filled shocks work well....

4. irace25

irace25
    from NAPA

Yep-- They go over-center a bit-- But these dang springs are worse than the stockers. Car needs to be original -- I don't want to modify it at all. Anyone got an original 1940 Wood Stick I can use?

5. hmmm. I need a pair of springs for my basket case. I'll keep an eye on this thread for responses and alternatives. I like the gas strut idea.

6. Sorry but I just don't like the gas struts. Mine had struts when I acquired the car 25 yrs. ago and I wanted to go back to an original look and style. It's just never worked with these springs

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Glad this discussion came up. I have been propping my decklid up while building my 40 Standard coupe and now I am glad I have not thrown the now valuable wood stick away yet !!!!!!!!

8. papastoyss

papastoyss

Try taking a die grinder to deepen the half moon slot that the stop pin bottoms out against when the lid is all the way up. I've done this w/original supports & it helps quite a bit.My current '40 has the strut kit that Steve Legens sells & it works great.

9. ...............I just went out to the garage and took a look and I think your idea might really work. I appreciate the suggestion. I may have to use a rat-tail file as my die-grinder is missing. Thanks for the advice.

10. So...the way these are supposed to work is that the little wound spring is designed to put just enough tension to hold that pin in the slot until you slightly lift the lid above that point and lower it? Is that the way it works? I never really took a close enough look at them, I just knew that the darn things didn't work for me.

11. Buckster

Buckster

I think a friend bought some early Drake units & he said Drake exchanged them for a pair with improved springs.

12. .......................I have heard that Drake admitted that some weren't strong enough to do the job, but it's been so many yrs. since I bought mine I doubt they would replace them. Nice to know though that someone did have some luck in that regard.

13. 33rag

33rag
    from Pa.

I got a pair last year and they work great.I questioned them before I bought because I also heard bad reports.Salesman said that was true and springs were upgraded.Mine are working fine,no complaints.

14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I don't want to pile on but I have Drake springs and they work perfectly,installed about four years ago.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. .............Hey I'm just happy to see that they worked for some folks.:)

i.rant likes this.
  16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

FWIW I just found a thread posted in 2007 by 19Fordy on the sagging spring problem and how he fixed it.
    Photos included with his post.
    As it's been stated here, Google is your friend, hope this helps.

17. Thanks. I just read his thread, great info. So he essentially made a spacer to in effect put more tension on the spring if I'm reading his description correctly and it sounds like he made the little "u" shaped notch a little deeper to better retain the locking pin. Looks like I have some work to do and thanks again i.rant for searching and finding that thread.........Don.

i.rant likes this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That's the way I read it too Don
    Good luck..........Dave

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the earlier Drakes were weak--last few pair worked fine for me

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. .......Thanks, Tim.

21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lothiandonl40--Sent you a message about springs

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

23. Good info, 19Fordy, I just read your post from 2007 after i.rant above referenced it.

24. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I had those Mr. 40's gas shocks on my '39 for a short while. Seemed like it took a lot of pressure to shut the lid. I went with the newer Drake repros and they worked fine. I still have the shocks if anyone is interested in a set. PM me.

25. b-bob

b-bob

I used Drakes repros and their fasteners too, and no problems .
    They do squeak, but a little grease may help with that.

26. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

I know this is an older thread but just fixed my 40 Merc trunk lid won't stay up problem.I read 19Fordy s post and decided to tackle it that way,but after I removed the hinges and springs I decided to do it another way-I took a die grinder and removed the slotted piece that holds the spring,then ground out the bar where the hole was as the piece is oblong,not round.Then I reinstalled it 90 degrees from original position and welded it back together.I reused the original springs,just puts more tension on them.And it looks stock you can't tell by looking anything was done.Holds the heavy deck lid up no problem now.

40ragtopdown and Kan Kustom like this.
  27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This sounds good. Thanks for the tip.

28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

My Drake Units Have Worked RAQUEL ESCAPES 2016 012.JPG Great For 8 Years And Yes That Deck Lid Is Heavy...Thanks Bob Drake...

lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.