Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

At this moment I do not have any Early Chevy's. i.e. 265 c.I. You could probably get buy with an early 283 for "looks". Sorry I couldn't help.. Good luck on your project.

2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The dichotomy continues, a beautiful car for all eras.

Wooden steering wheel, tube shocks, pin stripping.

3. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Its an old car just not put back the right way and get Russos name off that thing !

easter likes this.
  4. Gsmed

Gsmed
    from Minnesota

Help me. Are you saying that in all likelihood Russo never raced this car?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  7. Gsmed

Gsmed
    from Minnesota

Yes I'm getting it put back togetherand plan to transpor. The. Car out to the San Francisco area to be able to participate in events during the winter months when it's cold cold cold in Minnesota.

At the same time, I am so new to this that I don't want to look like a complete idiot and have a vehicle that simply does not make any sense to any of the more seasoned folks in the bay area.

At this point if they ask me what I've got I don't know what to tell themexcept that it's running a 60. Interesting that I showed a front view picture of the car to an old timer and he immediately said look at that, a Bugatti grill. So it makes me think that at one time it did indeed run a Bugatti engine.

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Don't worry - it is what it is a great little car.
    Spend your energy enjoying it on and off the track.

9. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

I dont think so there is some guy calls himself Rubber neck Russo look in to that?? seen Paul run back in the 40s and ran with Gene at Angel park in the 60s seen Rubber neck at Zeffer hills Fl.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  10. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

From an old timer in Minnesota in both midgets and foreign cars, I would more accurately describe it as "looking somewhat like a Bugatti grille".

I recall an old Van Blerck powered midget that was in our area years ago that had no history. Some years later I saw it again on loan to a California museum all restored with the name Paul Russo lettered on it.

Maybe we have a serial restorer on the loose.

LOL

11. Gsmed

Gsmed
    from Minnesota

Guys,

Thanks for all the info. I like the advice: Don't worry, just enjoy it. You all are a wealth of knowledge and support. I'm lucky we have something like HAMB to share this kind of info.

See you on the track - I'll be the guy asking for directions

12. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Duck...
    midget.jpg

Duck....
    1959edselcorsairb.jpg

Goose.
    Bugatti.jpg

Attached Files:

13. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

14. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

Hey, Gsmed... Tell me about your blue 700 Series LaFrance ramp rod. Do you know where it originally came from or have a serial number for it? I own a 1947 700 Series LaFrance...

15. wheels53

wheels53
    from Australia

My hero was Graeme McCubbin. He was an Aussie and a national champion. I was just reaching double digits when I watched him race so my memory isn't fantastic but stuff is strangely coming back. The first thing the other day was the name Stanton. I couldn't remember ever seeing that name but it was in my head so I googled it and sure enough, there was Garry Stanton. I little more searching and yes McCubbin had driven a Stanton. I've been looking for pics but I think Aussies are notably bad at uploading history to the internet. I have found a couple of pics so first up... can anyone confirm whether these cars are Stantons? If not, what are they?

Thanks, Pete[/QUOTE]

No they are not Gary Stanton frames, they're Tognotti-Ferkel frames. In fact one or possibly both of the
    Jack Maggs cars pictured were Ozzy copies of the Sacramento manufactured originals.
    That's the one & only Garry Rush pictured along with McCubbin.

16. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

There are a lot of folks don`t give a rats a$$ about the history of cars. Then there are the folks like some of the contributers on this forum that would fall down laughing at phony history. It cost just as much to feed a mule as it doesa thorobred!!!

17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That may be true Stan, but for me I am working on a totally faux project with fanciful past and totally made up imaginary racing venue history. In my case I could either afford to own a complete faux mule for about the cost of owning a driveline part from a real thorobred. I'd rather race my mule than look at a part of a thorobred hanging on my man cave wall. Others may enjoy the connection to the past. There's room for all in my world.

18. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

cook frame 014.jpg cook frame 014.jpg
    You are not claiming any history for you fine build, and I`m sure you will really enjoy it. What I`m talking about is someone who thows a pile together, gives it bogus undocument history and pawns it off on some newbe.
    We are restoring a 1966 Cook sprint car. We will not run it hard until we show it a few times. Then it`s Katy bar the door. lol It will be absolutly correct. The original builders are doing it,

Black vette 59 and Dean Lowe like this.
  19. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

Like the Coopers, the Effyh rides low to the ground -- powered by a rear-mounted 500cc J.A.P. engine (running on methanol).

Between six and ten Effyhs were brought into the U.S. The first was driven by John Fitch at Bridgehampton.

This one, built in 1953, is shown on its first outing in over 20 years at Lime Rock. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414553416.562839.jpg

20. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

i have just bought a modle a powered car it was built in 1938 in dearborn ,it all seems genni i will post images soon

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Some real classics and they look just as good today as they did years ago.

Jimbo

22. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Sta,FT Flyer,
    I see how both sides are appealing. I am more of a fan of the builders themselves and the design and engineering that went into the cars. That is the main reason I decided to build a "new" 60's midget from scratch. It was an exercise in "walking a mile in there shoes" so to speak. It was great to feel what it must have been like to build a new race car in my own home garage and all the interesting moments that happen along the way. Now I am helping my Dad restore an original early Edmunds midget, and although the process is fun, sometimes it is not in my nature to put things back to how they were when I think it should be done a different way.

Now putting some cut up model A parts together and writing AJ foyt on the side and selling it to some rookie is a problem.

gearguy and slobitz like this.
  23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

bad news for the "Millers at Mil;waukee" vintage meet !!
    wow! I was blindsided by the bad news that the Milwaukee Miller vintage meet will now be part of the indy specracer weekend. After 20 years of building the best and most prestigious vintage oval event in the country, it is being reduced to a sideshow of the indy specracer carnival.
    I can think of nothing positive for the Miller Meet with this situation.

24. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

What dufuss put that together?

25. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Alarming, but here's what I read...

"IndyFest will shift from August, one week after State Fair, to July 11-12 and run in conjunction with the Millers at Milwaukee vintage Indy-car exhibition at the Milwaukee Mile.
    It will become a day-and-a-half show with qualifying and racing for all three divisions — IndyCar, Indy Lights and Pro Mazda — on Sunday and only an evening IndyCar Series practice session Saturday.
    That leads to a 4 p.m. start for the ABC Supply Wisconsin 250 "

Might that mean Miller's at Milwaukee will still run Friday and Saturday with the Indy cars getting the track late in the day Saturday and the Lights and Mazda practicing, qualifying, and racing Sunday only?

That would be a best case scenario however I envision a cluster f___ in the infield that might eliminate the vendors, swappers and display cars that have long been a part of this event

carl s likes this.
  26. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

The logistics of the IndyCar, Lights, and Mazda teams all moving in their equipment and haulers on Friday and Saturday might relegate the Miller Meet cars to some corner of the infield if they're lucky. And as you mention the vendors are another story completely. I guess I'll wait until I see an actual schedule but the Miller Meet cars could very easily lose a bunch of track time over this move.

It's hard to figure just how this all came about. I thought both events were doing fine. Is the IndyCar race on such shaky ground that they are desperately combining the two events in an effort to save it? There has to be a story behind this move. Maybe somebody here will know what is really going on.

carl s likes this.
  27. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The synergism I see here has to do with the costs of tents and other things that are common to both events done separately.

There is virtually no synergism to the Vintage cars of the Miller Meet being part of the IndyFest and most will be loaded and/or gone by early afternoon Saturday.

Besides which, this is an event primarily for the participants and a very limited number of other vitally interested persons. The paying race fan of today in general, could care less about our racing history and if I'm correct, this event will do little or nothing proactively to give them the opportunity to be exposed to that history and perhaps some, even embrace it.

carl s likes this.
  28. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

I guess this is a wait and see situation !

29. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I'm pretty sure 2016 will see us back to normal.

30. racer5c

racer5c

this is awful news!