Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. froghawk

froghawk

As I understand it EZ-off will soften resin parts beyond repair. It will also damage the surface of acetate plastic (like that used in old promo models) causing it to blister.

2. Purple Power works too. (I found out the hard way).

3. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Just drop the parts into chlorine bleach. It wont harm the plastic and strip the chrome right off.

4. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

DSCF8030.JPG Think this may be my next project. AMT '29 on Revell '32 frame. Paint on the body is 28yrs. old. Would like to save paint. Matching could be a problem...

5. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Whats best method to remove paint . from a model body Just a regular monogram not resin

6. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

I have had good luck with Purple Power from Wal Mart. this works great on enamels, but will not touch Testors or Tamiya lacquers, nor Acrylic paint. For Lacquers I use 91% alcohol that I buy at Target. Get a plastic container that has a sealing lid. and put at least 6 pints of the stripper and let soak overnight. If the paint is stubborn. re-soak after hitting it with an old toothbrush. Neither will hurt the plastic, even clear parts. Purple Power also strips chromeand the undercoat. These products are CHEAP and re-useable Twenty bucks will buy a gallon of both strippers, and I have used mine for at least 5 years.

For safety, wear rubber gloves and rinse everything with water-especially your sink because you don't want to take the enamel off of your sink!

7. For just regular styrene, I've used a gallon bottle of brake fluid with the side cut open so I could submerge the car in it. It's been a while, but if I remember right, it'll strip any chrome parts as well, so don't put any in there you want to keep. Oh yeah, it also dissolves old glue pretty well.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Jigger likes this.
  8. Jigger likes this.
  9. ^^^ Awesome photos & models, thanks Lyle.

10. rc57

rc57

Great coverage Lyle! Thanks

11. fat141

fat141

BTTT for this week
    Rod

12. froghawk

froghawk

Nothing new yet this week. Still working on detail bits for the '59 Sunliner mild custom.

For something to look at, here are some new pix of an old favorite...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jigger and JimC like this.
  13. Picked this up off ebay earlier this week: IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    Here's the progress so far:
    IMG_3963.JPG
    IMG_3964.JPG
    Fortunately the only paint on the model was the silver trim and on the engine. Everything else was pristine
    black plastic. The primer helps bring out a few areas I still need to do some work on.

14. I have posted some pics on the other sunday models thread and will put them on here as well. It sure would be nice if we could consolidate the other threads all into one. Seems we've had that conversation before. I'd be willing to have the moderators delete all the other stuff if it meant all of us being on the same page. So, all that said, I have pics of some cars a friend built a long time ago. He is now in his 70's and doesn't want these to just keep sitting in the attic. He gave them to me and I told him I would see if there's any interest in them. Take a look and let me know if I should sell them, give them away or what. I'll keep the Triumph bike for myself to keep an old harley company. If they were old Ford hot rods I would be interested in them as well. 020.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG 025.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG 028.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG 025.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG 028.JPG 029.JPG

15. philo426

philo426

16. slingshot392

slingshot392

Due to ongoing health issues, I've been trying to find some non-toxic ways to strip parts. I have used Simple Green in the past which works on some stuff. Recently I have been using Dawn Power Dissolve (in with the dishwashing detergents at the store) and have had good results stripping chrome, different types of paints, and especially the clear that's under the chrome which is always been the toughest. I have had some trouble finding it recently, but I have found the same stuff from Dawn in the grill section, don't remember the name offhand, but something like Dawn Grill Cleaner, works just as good. It's not instantaneous, but not too bad, I usually have a variety of models going and I'm never in too much of a rush.

17. Man, Timwhit, if I could, I'd take the red '59 Dodge Lancer and the Chevy II wagon off your hands. I don't know how to advise you, I suppose I'd sell them if you have no interest in them but where do you begin, huh? What a great old collection!

18. Postin' oldies…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    BONNEVILLE BOB 95 likes this.
  19. fat141

fat141

Tuff little P/U
    Cheers
    Rod

Jigger likes this.
  20. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Doesn't look like I'll be able to match the paint. Got one more thing to try unless someone can tell me what the modern equivilant of Testors Saphire Blue Metallic is. DSCF8057.JPG DSCF8058.JPG

21. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

22. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

I would be interested in several of these...

23. Do you remember what primer you used on the original? Primer color can really affect what is sprayed over it. In the 2nd pic it looks looks the tweezers match the body pretty well. :D

24. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Thanx wojojo. I hadn't noticed the tweezers. The body was painted with Testors white enamel ( back when it would cover ) with Testors Saphire Blue Metallic enamel. Been trying different bases with Blue Pearl. No luck. The tweezers/clamp is that brownish color ya get with paint build up..... Brown may be next! Thanks again.

25. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

26. froghawk

froghawk

It looks like Testors has discontinued that color but only recently. I was able to find some available online thru Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Testor-Corporation-1639-Spray-Enamel/dp/B003VZKFTW

27. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

28. I like the green '53 tudor in the background. Resin kit?

29. I've had mine for a loooong time!
    54Chebby.jpg

Jigger likes this.
  30. Thanks rodncustomdreams. Don't think I've ever seen that one. I have a couple of the Monogram 2dr hardtops.
    Update 6:38pm: Just won the "street rod" version on ebay.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014