Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods REPLACING A TURBO 350 AUTO WITH A 5 SPEED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lanny haff, Oct 19, 2014.

1. lanny haff

lanny haff

I have a 1933 Plymouth coupe with a 350 + 350 turbo trans I would like to replace it with a GM 5 speed out of a Camaro. My questions are is the trans cross member in the same location as the automatic or do I have to move it , also is the 5 speed out put spline the same as the auto trans. Is the drive shaft length the same? What else do I need to know about the swap, I'm gonna do anyhow but I'm trying to accumulate as much info as I can soonce I start I'll have all the parts I need. Thanks Lanny haff

2. From memory the trans mount is 1" forward for the T5.

3. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

When I swapped a t5 in my camaro that had a turbo 350, I used the same crossmember and driveshaft with no modifications.

BRENT likes this.
  4. Wouldn't the location of the T 5 mount depend on which length tail shaft the turbo 350 has ?

5. squirrel

squirrel

the TH350 mount attaches to the case, not the tailhousing, so it doesn't matter. but the driveshaft length would be different.
    usually the TH350 and the Chevy manual transmissions from the same era are interchangable. Aside from the clutch end of it...

6. BRENT

BRENT

Just did this swap, but in reverse, Aging father wanted to go back to automatic and out came the manual tranny...the tranny mount was within a 1/8" of lining up and I used the stock drive shaft from the donor car.

7. Slots make things easier.

8. lanny haff

lanny haff

Thanks guys it seems to be getting easier. The next thing I have to contend with is the clutch linkage, I'm going to use pedals out of a pick up or car with a hydraulic set up as I think that will be the easiest. I'm going to start on it after I put my mustang II front end in the coupe, probably Halloween week end. Lanny