Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Candy, Lace, Flake, Flames... wanna see WILD custom paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Apr 13, 2008.

1. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Finished painting the wagon. Sanded clear with 400 and 600 then sprayed candy blue and candy red. I used vinyl stars to mask when I shot the blue. They were difficult to remove. I ruined some spots on the field stars. Other spots bled under the tape because of some orange peel I missed.

My son will like it and the abalone flake sure looks nice.

3 coats of clear drying tonight. I might be able to flow coat it before trick-or-treating

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Lol i thought you were talking about a stationwagon not a radio flyer type wagon. Looks good!

3. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Delpala... posting up all the taping/masking-related issues so it can foster some discussion that might save somebody else the frustration.

Some cases, it looks like the tape just wasn't fastened down tight. I should have run fingers along each and every length of tape i laid down just to avoid it... or? Any thoughts?

The white pinstripe has blue bleeding under the tape via some orange peel? Orange peel in the clear preventing the tape from sealing out the paint? Just trying to figure that one out.

The stars were a nightmare. Used vinyl star decals to mask over white flake.....destruction occurred when trying to remove them.

Attached Files:

4. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Yea bleed through is a big issue. The single best thing to do is have a good smooth surface and good tape. I only use the 3m paper tape not the Vinyl. The vinyl sucks horribly. I dont suggest going to 600 grit before spraying candy, 400 is enough. I do see some very deep bleeding so I am thinking you might be over diluting the candy or spraying too much at once. With Candy paints i seem to have better luck doing more coats but very thin. By doing that and changing my spray pattern with every coat i get good even coverage and i can control how dark it gets (keep in mind that the more coats you put on the darker it gets). For example the candy red on that scooter took 5 hours to spry and 8 very light coats. If you look close you might see where i used a 1/8" tape line to create a silver border between the white and the red and there is not 1 hint of bleeding.

As for the vinyl stickers... well its the same as the tape. The vinyl reacts with the paint somehow and kinda lifts a little. If you want to redo it here is my suggestion. Get some of the blue painters tape from Lowes or HD. Stick it on really good and flat with good overlap. The put the stars on where you want them and with a razorblade very VERY carefully cut them out. In the picture below i layed out the pattern first with the 1/8" tape then taped over it and cut it out. Since you want to avoid using the vinyl just do it like i mentioned above.
    [​IMG]

To summarize: smooth surface 400 grit, good tape, thin coats, don't over dilute the candy.

5. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

I used to have the same problem. What I do now is i use an egg timer when painting. Once I have a coat done and need time for it to flash before the next coat I go away from the garage and watch TV or talk to neighbors until my egg timer dings. Times differ for what I am doing but basically you need 30mins to an hour flash times on base coats and clear coats and a little less with the way I do Candy colors because the coats are much thinner and flash faster.

6. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Delpala... what is the best way to judge the thickness of a coat? It took several passes with the gun just to cover the area with blue. Maybe this is the indication my fan pattern was way too big

Learning a whole bunch.

7. Sage

Sage

jack_pine...looking at the pictures of your candies, I'd say it appears that your paint was too thin. That would explain the crawl under your masking and it could also account for it reacting with your vinyl masks (too thin may = too 'hot'). If you can get away with it, try dusting some coats on 1st to establish a base.

Another old trick is to shoot some inter-coat clear before the candies. What that will do is go into any small gaps and seal them thus not allowing any paint to 'creep'.

8. JimSibley

JimSibley

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413769003.639443.jpg a cross we did at the shop. Just
    Left overs from cars we were fixing.

Zed likes this.
  9. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Jack, There is a way to measure coat thickness but it requires a nifty machine and dry paint :) I dont think your fan was too wide but maybe you just had too much paint coming out of the gun. I like to use my garage walls or plywood to test my fan width and for candy i like about 5 inch wide with a regular gravity feed HVLP with 1.4 nozzle or 2 to 2.5 inches with a touchup gun with a 0.8 nozzle. Try to keep the pressure around 35 PSI at the gun and "play" with the air-paint mixture adjusters on the gun. With candy paints the first coat should look like your not spraying enough and might even be sorta splotchy, but once you do a second and 3rd coat they will "fill" or smooth out.

The thing to remember is this. Its not how fast or thick you put the paint on its how many times you layer it to get the effect you want. For example on the mailbox above you can see that I did a fade in the flames. that was done with just gold and red candy colors. I sprayed the gold over my silver first then i sprayed the red. As you can see because I sprayed the candy red so thin it actually looks orange in the middle.

The moral of the story is dont spray too much paint at one time because it doesn't look right yet. Be patient and spray less paint but more often to get the color or effect you want.

jack_pine likes this.
  10. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

11. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

12. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Petit's work blows my mind every time I see it. Who would have expected those colors to work together? Amazing

13. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

been a while since i posted anything. i know its not car stuff but its all metal flake and candy :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zed and Martin Harris like this.
  14. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

love doing skatedecks

[​IMG]

Martin Harris likes this.
  15. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

16. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

17. Flamed48

Flamed48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419853530.987137.jpg
    Here's my attempt at lace flames on my truck

18. jeffrob

jeffrob

HOLY CHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. wisdonm

wisdonm

elspock84, could you explain the technique that you use to paint the dozens of lines? TIA

[​IMG]

BigJoe606 likes this.
  20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Some people have a lot of talent.Not me but some other people.

21. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Most of us painters use the same method......lay down a lot of tape over a flaked or pearlescent panel, peal off some tape and spray, then repeat. Look at some mexican blankets for inspiration and go!

22. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

The most common way to do this is to have the silver flake base painted on first. Next what i do is lay out the outlines of the areas that i want that effect. Then once I have the outer surrounding areas covered with tape to protect from overspray, I start in the center of the area with a straight as possible tape line. Here is where it gets time consuming and tricky. I lay out tape lines so they touch each other with the end result being a completely covered area but its covered with 1/16 and 1/8 inch tape. By makeing each tape line touch the other one you have consistent gaps and a perfect pattern. It also works when you so "S" shaped lines. So depending on the result you want you can pull off every other tape line or just one at a time. The effects are created by how many coats of candy are sprayed between each time you remove some tape. Think of like this. If you have 20 pieces of tape layed out at the start and you remove the 2nd one in from each side and then spray one coat of paint. next remove the 4th tape line and spray one coat then the 6th and etc. this method will make the outer line painted the darkest and the inner most the lightest. Once you have removed every other tape line and sprayed one coat then you remove all the remaining tape and spray one more coat to get the effect that you see on the deck above. I have also done every 3rd line and left some tape on till the very end to leave a few silver/base lines within the patterns for more depth and more light play. You can play with this method alittle and wait a day before pulling all the tape off for that last coat, and retape over the lines you sprayed and if your tape job originally was tight enough this will work. You cover the lines painted first and do the same method in reverse on the odd numbered lines with a different color. Makes for interesting effects.

The cool thing about painting is you can do almost anything your imagination can invent. If it doesnt work you sand it off and start over.

Zed likes this.
  23. seatex

seatex

this thread is a mind blower!

24. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

25. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

This thread never disappoints !

27. gonmad

gonmad

I LOVE his truck!!

28. BarryA

BarryA

This showed up on FB, too much?
    1399734_618645731580694_6106532572189660803_o.jpg

29. loudbang

loudbang

makes me dizzy just looking at it. Must have been one royal pain to tape out. :confused:

BarryA likes this.
  30. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Thats Sal Manzano. He has been painting lowriders for a long time. Thats his "style" of taping. This car goes above and beyond because the frame has been molded to the car.

BarryA likes this.