Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hardscrabble Hop-Up; A 1940's Style 'T' RPU build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Still trying to figure out how to reduce the gloss with this asphaltum paint (to match Henry's frame coating).
    This photo shows the original semi-gloss 'sheen' - brackets would have been higher gloss (dipped in enamel), while the radius rods were sprayed with pyroxylin;
    [​IMG]

I also reformulated my concoction somewhat and got a better match to Henry's T-era paint (cut the Japan drier by a tsp). Don't think it's possible to get closer than this...may end up painting the body with this stuff :). Will leave my test panel out in the elements for a few weeks to see how quickly it chalks/oxidizes.
    paint3.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

You might be able to hit it with a de-gloss agent after it's dry? I saw some at lowes by the quart.

gwhite likes this.
  3. I wonder if adding some talc to the mixture would take away some of the gloss?

gwhite likes this.
  4. Gary i have had good results making non catalyzed paint look "old" by using rubbing compound on a rag by hand while the paint is not all the way cured. it smooths it out but alters the "flowed out shine".

gwhite likes this.
  5. Thanks fellas, I'll try each of those suggestions. Perhaps using decent spray equipment will help as well...I can mist the last coat on so that it's nearly dry as it hits the surface - that usually gives a nice semi-gloss tone.

6. just don't rub through or you will get this crappy look;) DSCF2605.JPG

7. F&J

F&J

I used Comet powder on a wet rag, but mine is laquer paint. It looks and feels exactly what I had in my mind.

8. loudbang

loudbang

You must be one of "Those crazy car guys" to go to all that trouble to match the paint PERFECTLY. I love it. :rolleyes:

9. The rest of the build is so perfect, why not the finish too:rolleyes: JW

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Try spraying Eastwood Pre on a rag and wiping it lightly until you knock down the sheen.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. I don't really see the problem. It will dull with time. That factory paint Is 80+ years old. It's bound to have lost some sheen.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Paint looks pretty damn close. I sent you pictures of the instrument panel.

13. cmarcus

cmarcus

Wow! Love seeing all the attention to detail! Can't wait to keep on following along.

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I think you nailed it...sometimes one can overthink an item...not saying you're doing that here, (cough, OCD) but it looks damn close to my eye.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  15. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Another reason I love the HAMB, wow will keep watching with interest :D

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

16. Overthink something....why would you ever think I'd do something like that, hahaha.

I do appreciate the feedback. I realize this is over the top, but honestly it is good medicine for the soul. My occupation requires me to be a "global thinker", so getting lost in the little things helps bring peace with balance; even if folks think it's a little 'slanted' or nuts :)

volvobrynk, Speedy Canuck and 3wLarry like this.
  17. You have an affliction called analality, but not to worry it happens to the best of us. Stay the course it is starting to come together.

gwhite likes this.
  18. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

There is a message for you sir, regarding the instrument panel.:D

gwhite likes this.
  19. Gary this build goes beyond "restoration" straight into archaeology! You are going to become an expert at forgotten paint compounds, finishes and techniques.

One thing I notice in looking at old photographs (another of my hobbies) is how quickly our cars "aged" when they were still under a decade old. These finishes did not hold up in real world conditions the way we expect from modern paints. My Dad once told me (this was in Depression-era Oklahoma) that they used gasoline to "polish" the paint! How could that not damage a finish? Another funny thing he told me was that people used to just clean/polish their hood tops, because that was the main thing they saw when they were driving! Dust Bowl days!

Anyway, your dash looks fantastic, and your paint recreation looks like a perfect match. Fascinating project.

gwhite likes this.
  20. It amazes me how good those OLD finishes look. Obviously fairly durable. Seem to see more old 90 year old Ford pieces laying around then you do 30 year old Toyota. Of course the steel is four times thicker I guess.........enh........scratch that.....but THIS is cool stuff to see !!! How would you say the fume difference is ? Is it not as noxious I'll bet....or........???

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. A couple little 'sneak peeks' at what I've been working on (when not whiffing asphaltum paint);
    [​IMG][​IMG]

22. Purdeeee' pitchers man. And then what happens ?? :) (they should have a smiley with gyrating eyebrows)

23. Very nice and love the horn, I have a similar item on my T. JW

24. Gary it was good seeing you today at the swap meet, sorry I didn't get to tell you bye. I got sidetracked by some guys wanting to talk down by my truck. Bill was really happy to meet you.

25. Hey Gary, cool horn! I've been looking for an old Moto Vox. Is yours a Sparton or what? Did it have a mount for the headlight bar or did you rig up an attachment?

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

a '32 truck grille on a T?

how bout a farther away pic to see what it looks like

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Thanks man! And then....we wait another six months for me to research/figure out how I want to chop the '32 shell, hahaha!

Thanks brother, need pics!

Great seeing y'all too! Was really good to meet Bill (@brokenspoke)...can't wait to do it again!

That's a Schwarze "Pilot" horn. Don't know a whole lot about them, other than they were made in the 30's primarily for motorcycles.

Yessir, '32 commercial; should look right at home. Will get pics after it's cut up to my liking - pay shun lee hahaha! In the mean time, see;

hh.jpg

[​IMG]

Not a commercial, but you get the picture...
    [​IMG]

28. This horn is a Clear Hooters one from the 30s and 4'' across. JW[​IMG]

Jeff Norwell and gwhite like this.
  29. I like where this is going. Can't wait to see more progress.

Jeff Norwell, volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  30. I love this build !
    Its all in the details

gwhite likes this.